ive had a bit of trouble with pull offs and hammer ons....i know that sounds retarted, but i just cant seem to get them down, i'll either pick it or get wrong timing, or something, one of the things that makes me mad is that the callisus on my finger dig into the high e string and some time get stuck, and it completely messes me up, same goes with slides on high e and b especially, do you guys have any technique or anything to practice pull offs and hammer ons?
Bro...I've got the exact same problem. My fingers just seem to get stuck on the 1,2, and 3 string, especially with bends and hammer-ons and pull-offs like you said. In any case, I've found that just learning to play lighter is usually better for such problems.
Quote by Ryzeke1
Bro...I've got the exact same problem. My fingers just seem to get stuck on the 1,2, and 3 string, especially with bends and hammer-ons and pull-offs like you said. In any case, I've found that just learning to play lighter is usually better for such problems.

Just practice, practice, practice......I'm sure I used to have that problem - now if i can remember...... .
Well its all about practise, even tought ive been playing for 8 months and in when i first tryed them i pretty much mastered them ª_ª, Lol no offense but i just dont know whats so difficult about it Lol
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

Altough u may have found out that your a rythem guitarist but keep practisin!!
^ you're only a rhythm guitarist if you choose to be.

And it's got partially to do with the err, corrosion? on your finger. You've probably not been playing extremely long but once the layer on your fingertips starts to build up especialliy pulloffs will be so much easier. It's important as well to use the middle of you fingertip on the string so that your finger doesn't touch other strings when you hammeron/pulloff.
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
see the video section here,, and download the kris dahl legato video....
Kris rules \m/
legato technique, obviously -_-

(which includes pulloffs :p)
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
hammers are easyer i find, ive masterd them now, not at high speeds though.

Pulls are harder ( for me anyway), i can do them fine on high strings but when im pulling on the lower strings its alot harder.

If you just like trill one note, thats good practise.

Or go up and down scales really slowely. Then your learning them as well!
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
If you've got callouses sticking out and crap, you can file them down so they're nice and smooth. Mine are smooth by nature, probably because I play very lightly. So maybe you press on the strings too hard?
How high is the action on your guitar? I have mine pretty low because i find it easyer to play fast
Manchester United
my action? i dont know what your talking about like how fast do i play? nd i prolly do press too hard, im a big guy, 6'6" to be exact, nd ppl say i dont know my own strength, so that might be the problem too, ill file them down cuz they do stick up thanks for the advice
your guitar could be set up wrong.

action, ect.....accomplished guitarist's cannot play as easily with a bad setup.
It takes a lot of practice A LOT to become fluent at hammer ons and pull offs.

The best practice I would suggest are simple trill excerises.. just the good ole chromatic 1234 trill between each finger. Just make sure your doing it slow and clean as sloppy legato sounds really bad haha.
^ word

listen to all those crap metal coverbands in college...
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Haha yeah i know what you mean man
Something else I have noticed...

It seems as though more and more legato players are surfacing, anytime I watch a non pro on youtube playing its always legato! Almost zero picking anywhere it seems picking licks and picking every note has fallen favor to legato style.

Its cool to have great legato chops but you should have a good pick hand too. Don't forget about it and let it become stagnant. Make sure you develop them both so they can sync up when you want some nice staccato sounding stuff.
Last edited by Silky Smooth at Nov 15, 2007,
k, is legato like using ur finger to hit a higher not and pull off and hammer on the lower frets like from going from 17 to 9 to 4 or something? i know its a really stupid question, but im just curious...i dont think that my action is high, i doesnt seem like it, but i could be wrong, my new SG is coming in either today or tommorro so we'll have to see if that makes a difference
i, too, get a bit clumsy with the hammeron-pulloff thing. I remember reading a great piece from Robert Fripp where he gets into extensive detail about the 'attack' and 'release' of a note. You need to pay attention to how long your notes 'last'. I'd often find this lame, 'galloping' rhythm to my hammerons or pulloffs....you gotta sound the note quick and clean, in time, and 'get rid' of the note quick and clean. Watching Paul Gilberts "Fast Blues Lick" on the Comcast Digital Cable (Check it out!) was AWESOME....he would play these 3note pulloff riffs ('outside' picking 2 notes, pulling off to the 3rd), and it sounded like a machine-gun rattling off rounds. One of the main keys to his completely bitchin sound was that he'd palm mute the riff a bit to give it that killer staccato, quick clean sound. THEN he adds a second pull off, to make it a 4-note riff, and it just goes off the chain.

my advice is to just practice very simple riffs at low speed, trying to be as even and clean as possible, and then try to ramp up the speed till you goof it. Repeat.....

good luck,

Sizzle
ok i know it would be easy to practice a riff for a short period of a song like that, the thing that made me post this thread was thunderstruck where all it is is basically hammer ons and pull offs (as contributed by the users of UG ) it is really helpful when people take time to help other guitarists on their problems, do you think i should start with something a little bit easier on the hammer ons and pull offs, like not thunderstruck?
Just like... practice your minor pentatonic scale doing all hammerons and pulloffs. That ought to help.
Quote by Hubie1110
ok i know it would be easy to practice a riff for a short period of a song like that, the thing that made me post this thread was thunderstruck where all it is is basically hammer ons and pull offs (as contributed by the users of UG ) it is really helpful when people take time to help other guitarists on their problems, do you think i should start with something a little bit easier on the hammer ons and pull offs, like not thunderstruck?

do NOT start with thunderstruck lol
hammers/pulloffs using open strings is very hard to begin with. practice hammeronspullofs around 10-12-14th fret of G and B string I suggest.
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
ya ive noticed that thunderstuck is VERY hard at my level of playing guitar, ill take both of ya'll advice and try both, if all goes well i'll get my new guitar today that i ordered in
Now that I've practiced hammer-ons and pull-offs, they just com natural now, and I don't see how any can have trouble with them. The thing I did to learn them was to do 7-9-7-9-7-9-7-9-7-9 on the G string, without picking. Start off slow, and get faster as you get better.
k...it seems like everyone has a different technique to do it, i practiced them for like a half hour today (practice was way too short) nd made some improvement, not much but its a start