Page 1 of 2
Hey guys - I'm finally getting a new amp but as always it's hard to choose. Take me from 800-1000e (or $) on my first probable choice, Marshall. I know it's not very original, but hey, my guitar is so maybe that's enough, right. It's a strat with a dimebucker in the bridge and a beautiful brandless single in the neck position which does cleans very good on the POD 2.0 I have. Question is, I want an amp that can use the dimebucker + strat combination for the hardrock sound with lots of treble and bass and not so much mid, and this got me thinking of Marshall, however, I'm also a jazz player and I need my amp to be able to do jazzy cleans as well with the neck pickup.
- Does Marshall have jazzy clean?
- Some other brands considered are Hughes/Kettner, Orange (which is my last name as well so would be fun), Hiwatt and London City. Or Koch, Laney or Engl. Can anyone tell me about their cleans/drives? And what type should I get?

Oh and, I want an all tube amp ofcourse.

All help is very much appreciated!
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Last edited by bornfidelity at Nov 14, 2007,
Well to start with, when you mean hard rock, do you mean old hard rock or how heavy?

Secondly Marshalls aren't really amps for jazz-y cleans, the JCM900 might do it though.

Also the Dimebucker is pretty ****e and way too muddy IMHO.

Orange might do it, my Rocker 30 can get great jazz cleans, Hiwatt will do the jazz-y stuff great, but suck for hard rock...
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
get the JVM, that thing can do anything.
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
if your surname is orange, then i think it's safe to say that you most definitely have to get an orange amp
Yeah, prepare for about 90% of UG to say to go with the orange...
haha well
Say i play zeppelin/accadacca style music but I use the sound of for instance rancid on out come the wolves. I love that sound.

to gabel, because of the Strat's brightness in nature the dimebucker is not so muddy as on a dean
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
I own DSL100 and on the clean channel on (clean crunch) if you turn the gain down to about 8-9 oclock and the volume up to 1-2 oclock you get a realy nice clean with very little break up. On any given day I can pump out everything from a david gilmour to billy gibbons, to Zakk wylde.
"People worry too much about tone instead of just rocking out"
Alright.

Well you don't seem to need a lot of gain, then I would recommend an Orange Rocker 30. Thought I would recommend changing that Dimebucker, it won't sound good with the Orange. I'd put in something like a Custom, Custom Custom or Custom 5 instead.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Hmyeah, I won't be playing metal, although I like some pinch harmonics ever so often but I suppose hardrock amps do that just fine. So I'll check out the Orange Rocker 30 and the JCM900 (both all tube?) or maybe Orange can do jazz better on clean and with a good pedal of some sort?
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Or what about Koch, Laney or Engl?
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Well the JCM900 isn't a good choice for you then, they're more of a metal amp.

The Orange will get a better jazz sound.

Koch are supposedly great. Laney's are great, depending on the model, you might be able to pick up a Lionheart at that price and it should work great for you. ENGL are good too!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

So basically, they're all good? :p
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Basically yeah.

I would try them out and see which one you like the most.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

just go try some put at your local music store or guitar center. caus if u take everyone's opinion too seriously you will order it off a website it and hate it thus wasting your money
esp ltd m300
ibanez rg
jackosn dinky strat

digitech rp155l
morley bad horsie wah

carvin mt3200 tube amp

founder of the ibanez rg owners of the world club pm me to join
Here's an audio clip of what I think sounds cool, I just recorded it to show you how it sounds don't mind the playing, the solos are somewhat crap improvs, but you get the idea.

Now I like the chord sound of the guitar but I think the solos could be a bit, brighter?

What amp would be good for this sound? (but maybe a bit better because of tubes )

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G3RMAFOZ
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Last edited by bornfidelity at Nov 14, 2007,
My laney LC 15 has superb cleans, was just meddling with them a few minutes ago with the gain to about 2/3 and the volume up it hits jazz, and some great bluesy tones, just awesome cleans.

And to think this is a lowe end laney tube.
OK so laney good for cleans - how about the gain? Is it somewhat like the soundclip? ^^
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Actually Laney have ok cleans, buy I wouldn't call them clean amps. Almost the opposites in some cases.

Listening to that clip I would recommend a Laney TT50, ENGL Screamer (possibly some other ones too) and maybe a Laney VH100.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel
Well to start with, when you mean hard rock, do you mean old hard rock or how heavy?

Secondly Marshalls aren't really amps for jazz-y cleans, the JCM900 might do it though.

Also the Dimebucker is pretty ****e and way too muddy IMHO.

Orange might do it, my Rocker 30 can get great jazz cleans, Hiwatt will do the jazz-y stuff great, but suck for hard rock...

I have a JCM 900 and you dont want to try jazzy cleans with that. The sound just never REALLY cleans up 100%. I know you can turn the first channel down (preamp down, master volume down) and it helps but if you really want to go for 'a nice clean sound' a marshall jcm 900 will be a comprimise.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Well I used to have the same JCM900. It did have nice cleans, but I haven't played one in a while nor do I play jazz, so I can't really tell...
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

JCM or JVM. Ya cant really go wrong with a high dollar marshall. Nothing screams like a marshall........
yeah they scream but do they do cleans? I know john whats-his-name from RHCP uses Marshall clean but that's not really the jazzy warm sound I'm looking for.
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
The marshall will not do jazzy cleans, no JCM or JVM would.

I cant listen to the clip because im at work.
The orange is a good compromise, it has enough gain to get near the tones I assume you are wanting, if not a nice OD would push it enough. And the cleans are quite nice, and warm too.

But, knowing how Gabe knows his amps and hasnt suggested an Orange and instead gone for the others, I would say take in to consideration his opinion, he has tried pretty much most amps.
Yeah I listened to the clip and I don't think an Orange is really the amp for that music, Orange being very mid oriented amps and might not be tight enough for the sounds you seek.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

it really depends on what youre going for... if you want the BEST clean sound marshalls probably wont provide it. They WILL do the best classic rock tones (imo) and do ok cleans.
If you want both great distortion and decent cleans I hear Mesa boogie is a good way to go
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Quote by Gabel
Yeah I listened to the clip and I don't think an Orange is really the amp for that music, Orange being very mid oriented amps and might not be tight enough for the sounds you seek.

OK, too bad. Then what kind of amps would provide a sound like that? (say, the higher end models). When I get home I'll upload the sound I get out of my cleans with my POD which I find jazzy enough, maybe that's not as demanding as I sound
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
^

Gabe recomended the:

Laney TT50, ENGL Screamer (possibly some other ones too) and maybe a Laney VH100.

a few posts above the one you quoted.
Ok, cool. Anyone else got an opinion on these amps?
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
I would recoment Hiwatt. I have one and they have amazing cleans. The cleans are definately the highlight of the amp. Your POD should be able to get a good distortion sound for metal combined with the amps distortion. Still idk if the dimebucker will get you the jazz tone...that may be an issue. The dimebucker is crap imo, still im sure if you play around with amps and your pod you will be able to get a good sound.
Laney TT50H's distortion> Hiwatt with PD imo.

Real tube distortion will ALWAYS sound better. My band has a Laney TT50H that our oher guitarist uses and it will definetly work for what you play. I have gotten great jazz tones out of the cleans and the amp is EXTREMELY versatile.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

For the cleans, here's the clip http://www.megaupload.com/?d=48JAQ9TI . I'm currently looking into ENGL amps, the screamer is available as a head as well (which I prefer over a combo, admittedly not in the last place because I plan to gig alot with it and it looks cool) and I've found some interesting sounds on youtube. Hmmm...
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
At Laney (havent replied to your gain question) the TT series are meant to have gerat cleans and I know they should have some good distortion, they seem to be all round amps.
But I'd prefer the GH50L Just listen to Paul Gilbert and Tony Iommi for an idea.
Would the Laney be able to match both soundsamples I've posted?
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Yeah it would. It can do close to anything. I have gotten anything from great jazz tones out of it, to blues, rock to stoner and clsoe to death metal tones.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

So it's the Laney 50TT vs the ENGL Screamer?

Then now I've got to find a store somewhere in Holland or a country around that carries both :p
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by eetfuk58
I would recoment Hiwatt. I have one and they have amazing cleans. The cleans are definately the highlight of the amp. Your POD should be able to get a good distortion sound for metal combined with the amps distortion. Still idk if the dimebucker will get you the jazz tone...that may be an issue. The dimebucker is crap imo, still im sure if you play around with amps and your pod you will be able to get a good sound.

lol I'm not going to use the bucker for jazz, that's where my neck pickup comes in

The dimebucker on clean has got this weird hawaiian sound which is not really jazzy :p
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
ENGL Screamer is lovely, better cleans than the TT IMO when I tried it, but it's very trebly, tight, modern and aggressive on the dirt channel from what I remember. The TT is brilliant with warm jazzy cleans and nice Hard Rock. I didn't get much vintage crunch going on the ENGL without a Tubescreamer, but I had only 20 minutes and I'm pretty sure I might've been able to.

Oh, and a 50w 1x12 valve combo is easily enough for giggage.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Page 1 of 2