righty-o, can anyone help me figure this out before i spend money? I recentely moved into an apartment with some friends and we're about to try and get broadband. Now the thing is there's a desktop to be connected and a laptop but they both have wireless ability. We dont have a phone line but our theory is that if we get a wireless box such as this:

http://www.irishbroadband.ie/products_display.php?id=1

and plug it into a wireless router on the middle floor, it would allow the laptop, upstairs, and the desktop, downstairs to pick up the signal and give both of us internet access. But we're not enitirely sure if that makes sense.

does it?
What do you mean middle floor? As in someone else's router? Well if you're planning on doing that then why not just connect to them wirelessly without a router since that's what you'll be essentially doing anyway?
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Yeah i'm pretty sure that's how it works, you can always ask a computer tech at a store too
Quote by hightension01

Tell her
"I could be playing this *inserts Job For a Cowboys Doom Cd*
but i'd rather play this *inserts *David Crowder followed by Brewster*"

haha yeah that should work

Quote by Aqua Dementia
richrawr FTW!
Quote by Rankles
What do you mean middle floor? As in someone else's router? Well if you're planning on doing that then why not just connect to them wirelessly without a router since that's what you'll be essentially doing anyway?

The middle floor is the middle floor of our apartment. As in our apartment is bottom floor, (bedroom) middle floor, (Living room / kitchen), and top floor, (bedroom / bathroom). SO we figure get the box and it'd would probably pick the internet up and feed it to a computer through USB, but if we put the USB lead into a router it would broadcast the signal and we could pick it up. We'd put it on the middle floor just so its even.

But if we took the broadband box and plugged it into the desktop could we set it so that the laptop could pick it up from the desktop sending the signal out. and if that could work would it only work if the desktop was on?
I don't see a wireless box on that link, just info about the ISP and what kind of services you'll get. But if you get an internet connection, a modem and a wireless router - or a modem and wireless router in one, that exists too - you'll be able to connect computers in that vicinity, yes.
I'm a communist. Really.
If you already have a wireless router can't you already connect to the internet?
nope, theres a laptop and a desktop. both can connect wirelessly to a system but we've no modem or connection in the apartment yet. so they have wireless but no network to connect to yet. we've no router or modem yet.
Quote by knifey
The middle floor is the middle floor of our apartment. As in our apartment is bottom floor, (bedroom) middle floor, (Living room / kitchen), and top floor, (bedroom / bathroom). SO we figure get the box and it'd would probably pick the internet up and feed it to a computer through USB, but if we put the USB lead into a router it would broadcast the signal and we could pick it up. We'd put it on the middle floor just so its even.

But if we took the broadband box and plugged it into the desktop could we set it so that the laptop could pick it up from the desktop sending the signal out. and if that could work would it only work if the desktop was on?

I've never heard of computers having wireless transmitters, so probably not... You might be able to find something, but it'll be hard to set up and very clumsy. A seperate router is a way better solution, as yes, you'd need to leave the desktop on for it to work.

If you want a wireless setup, you'll need
- A modem, NOT USB, normal ethernet output is the only thing that'll work with a normal router - and if there are routers with USB input, that'd be silly anyways
- A wireless router (or a modem/wireless router in one box)
- Wireless cards for all the computers you want connected to the router without a cable
I'm a communist. Really.
Yea, just get a standard broadband connection and slap a wireless router on it. You said both have already got wireless capability so you should be able to just plug, configure and play :P
Quote by Raziel2p
I've never heard of computers having wireless transmitters, so probably not... You might be able to find something, but it'll be hard to set up and very clumsy. A seperate router is a way better solution, as yes, you'd need to leave the desktop on for it to work.

If you want a wireless setup, you'll need
- A modem, NOT USB, normal ethernet output is the only thing that'll work with a normal router - and if there are routers with USB input, that'd be silly anyways
- A wireless router (or a modem/wireless router in one box)
- Wireless cards for all the computers you want connected to the router without a cable

Coolio. Well ill go into a tech store at some stage and try figure it out. Its just we've no phone line so we're aiming to get, in really simple terms, get a box that will wirelessly pick up internet and then wirelessly send it out so the two can pick it up.
A wireless router should already be sending out a signal if it is hooked up to a broadband line. It sounds almost like you wanted to hook up your desktop into the router to send the signal to your laptop...I hope that I just misunderstood what you planned on doing. In order for the wireless broadband signal to work, you need to have wireless receivers in the device(s) that you want to use the signal. You can directly connect your desktop to the router via cable connection, but you can't broadcast the signal through the desktop unless it has its own internal router.
I didn't mean to reiterate what Raziel2p was saying, he replied before I could. Sorry for the reposted information.
Quote by knifey
Coolio. Well ill go into a tech store at some stage and try figure it out. Its just we've no phone line so we're aiming to get, in really simple terms, get a box that will wirelessly pick up internet and then wirelessly send it out so the two can pick it up.

Oh wait, I think I might have misunderstood - this broadband delaer of yours is delivering a wireless sort of internet that requires no phone line or anything like it? Then I think you'd best call them and ask them, really. I'm confused myself now, and you'd probably need modems specially from them in order to get things working in any case.
I'm a communist. Really.
Quote by Raziel2p
Oh wait, I think I might have misunderstood - this broadband delaer of yours is delivering a wireless sort of internet that requires no phone line or anything like it? Then I think you'd best call them and ask them, really. I'm confused myself now, and you'd probably need modems specially from them in order to get things working in any case.

Bingo!

I probably should have explained in the original post but yeah, they send out something like this:

http://www.irishbroadband.ie/products_display.php?id=8

But thats one product. It picks up the wireless signal and USB's into a computer. But i pretty sure they have a version of that that picks it up but use's an ethernet connection from it to the computer. So i was hoping that could go into a wireless router and then that would be a network opened for us to use on both computers.