I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but whatever...

Do you guys think (or has there been studies) that those who spend an above average amount of time on the computer have a noticeable effect on fingering on the guitar?
i guess it could have an effect on a guitarist especially if u are a secretary or something or do an extensive amount of 8 finger typing.
I am an IT (Information Technology) guy of 25 years. I work from home mostly and start at 6:00am and do not get away from the computer till 8:00pm most times. And yes, I take breaks for meals and such.

On average I spend about ten hours a day at the keyboard. I am not sure this helped me with guitar but my finger agility has improved over the year I have been with my axe. My typing speed is around 70-80wpm and is probably still the same.

Did my typing ability help my dexterity on the guitar? I don't think it helped much because I still had "retarded" fingers for the first three months of playing .

Take it for what it's worth.

Chris
It probably helps with finger strength, but strength doesn't just come from bulking up your muscles, it also comes from your muscles learning how to coordinate their contractions. So I would say there is a benefit, but it is a very minor benefit.
I'm in IT as well and spend almost my whole day on a PC. I didn't really notice much benefit from this when I started playing guitar. I got hand/finger cramps and sore fore arms, and it felt pretty alien in general. But then again it's hard to compare when I don't know what it was like for others when they were starting.

Either way, any benefits a regular computer user may have in finger dexterity is heavily out weighed by the increased risk of Carpal Tunnel (in my opinion).
2002 Muddy Waters Fender Telecaser (MIM) (w/ Bill Lawrence pickups & black matte pickguard)
2006 Ibanez sz520qm (w/ Grover tuners)
Epiphone DR-100

Traynor YCV50-Blue
Toneport GX / Ampltube 2
Last edited by krims0n at Nov 14, 2007,
hmm, if only playing video games had effects on your guitar finger dexterity

*sigh* if only
If you wanna play guitar better, you should practice with your guitar, not with your keyboard... I don't believe typing would help, because the movements you make with your hands aren't very similar to playing guitar.

But what if you could plug your guitar into your USB and start playing, and every tone corresponds with a letter. Then you can play a tekst :P THAT WOULD BE COOL
Quote by krims0n
I'm in IT as well

/begin rant

Bless your heart then you know our plight! LOL. Seriously, I consult and the market has really been stinky for new business. I am not sure how long you have been in IT, but after 25 years...it's getting old and I never thought I'd feel that way lol. I am beginning to see that IT is for the 20 somethings...maybe 30 somethings....but that's the limit (for perm jobs). That last point is related to perm salaries...I'll take my hourly consultant pay anytime.

/end rant

Chris
Last edited by RCShadow at Nov 17, 2007,
I'm a programmer and agree with the IT people, It may have helped a little but retard fingers still applies for quite awhile when your learning.
I spend a fair bit of time on the computer but I don't think it's helped at all. If anything, I wonder if its bad and can give you arthiritis as it means your fingers are constantly moving.

I haven't had any problems but I've had nothing big come out of using a computer..
"We weren’t too ambitious when we started out. We just wanted to be the biggest thing that ever walked the planet."
-- Steven Tyler
Quote by psyks
hmm, if only playing video games had effects on your guitar finger dexterity

*sigh* if only

I have a sig!

Quote by caskettheclown
... ive seen a dog do that once, he was trying to lick his nuts and farted real loud on his face....it sounded like a human fart. now he looks like he has down syndrome for some reason.

Quote by geluidsterroris
If you wanna play guitar better, you should practice with your guitar, not with your keyboard... I don't believe typing would help, because the movements you make with your hands aren't very similar to playing guitar.

But what if you could plug your guitar into your USB and start playing, and every tone corresponds with a letter. Then you can play a tekst :P THAT WOULD BE COOL

Well, that would really limit the alphabet unless you used chords.

I can just imagine the radical improvement in the Pit's collective spelling and grammar if such a program were made.