Hey could anyone fill in this questionnaire for me, as i am doing some research on Metallica for college? thanks

How do you think Metallica have influenced the metal scene?

How has Metallica affected you as a person? For example your lifestyle or your perspective on certain styles of music.

How do you think the metal scene would have developed if Metallica had never formed?

Do you think Metallica are still relevant in today's musical landscape?

Which album do you think best conveys Metallica's style?

Which Metallica album is your favourite?

And finally who is your favourite band member?
0) Pretty significantly. There are a lot of Kirk Hammett fanboys out there.
1) Metallica has not affected me very much as a person.
2) I think it would've been just dandy.
3) Yes in the sense that they have left a legacy, and No in the sense that they are putting out piles of sh*t nowadays.
4) Master of Puppets or Ride the Lightning
5) Master of Puppets
6) Hetfield
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Nov 14, 2007,
1)I dont know
2)Not really affected very much, except it was what got me into rock music and guitar.
3)Still wouldve been good
4)No
5)Master of puppets
6)Master of puppets
7)Kirk Hammett
I think they are responsible for bringing the polka influence back into metal.

How has Metallica affected you as a person? For example your lifestyle or your perspective on certain styles of music.

Well, I abstain from drugs and alcohol abuse because Metallica have been good role models in the straight edge life style from day one.

How do you think the metal scene would have developed if Metallica had never formed?
I think more metal musicians would still have long hair.

Yes. They wear tight jeans, have goofy haircuts and box rimmed glasses. And they don't know how to play their instruments.

The White Album.

Probably... St. Anger.

Dave Mustaine.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
^ lulz
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
They made Thrash popular or something like that.

They taught me that being in a huge metal band still allows you to be a douchebag.

It would have developed, but differently.

Yeah they are. They're just not as good anymore.

Master Of Puppets

Master Of Puppets or The Black Album.

Hetfield
I think they are a very influential band, most bands these days cite Metallica as a major influence to their music

They are my favourite band, and it has affected me a lot, my guitar playing style especially, and my mind set when listening to new bands

I think hair metal and all that glam type stuff would have continued, but i dont think Metal would have its position in Music as rooted as it is now, Metallica were like, the metal band, if anyone knew a metal band, it was metallica, so..yeah

I hope so, we'll have to wait until february to find out

Kill 'em all captures the fire they once had for music, and i think that is what they wanted the band to be like

Master of Puppets

James Hetfield
A generation of hetfield singer-clones(godsmack prime example) and making musicians try to make them selves a but fasterl

METAL YERAGHAGHAGHAGHGH

More New wave of british heavy metal themed then american.

Yes

Master Of Puppets

kill em all through to Black album

IMO they influenced a fair deal of thrash Metal and allowed that genre to become massive.

If it wasn't for Metallica I would've never gotten into Metal. They're a gateway band, like weed it isn't as hard, heavy or great as other drugs but it eases your way into becoming a druggie

The underground Metal scene would continue but not as many people would have been exposed to it.

No.

Ride the Lightning or Master of Puppets.

...And Justice for all.

Cliff Burton
If we're talking about live ones: Dave Mustaine
If we're talking about the ones still in the band: James Hetfield
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

definitely, i can comfortably they are the most well known metal band in history (ask a random chick she'll probably have heard of the name)

they were the band that got me into the metal/rock genre, and also motivated me to start learn guitar, so i thank them

i say it would be more darker and heavier, not as much people would've got into the genre i say..(not much metal bands that top charts..)

yes..they are still our role models, "when you go see a local band it's like you watching you fellow man perform, when you watch them it's like a kid watching a band perform"

Master of Puppets, Black Album

Master of Puppets

James Hatfield
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by true_bacon22
pfffh metalica can play their instruments

...They also never released the White Album.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.

- Hugely. During their indie years, releases like Ride The Lightning and Master Of Puppets set standards for Bay Area Thrash. They also are a good example of what not to become and how a great potential can die when too much money is thrown at it.

- They got me into metal and altered my philosophy somewhat via that. I'm no longer so naive or optimistic, but I think I'm also a bit more informed and aware.

- The same way, mostly. There were other great thrash acts around and another band would have been "Metallica" at some point. Ultimately, though, they led to a degredation via the Black Album and Load, ect., where the hard rock sound was considered metal whcih helped propogate nu-metal. However distasteful I find metalcore, it's a huge improvement over nu-metal.

- No. New and old bands have thrash sounds, and other bands do hard rock better than they do. When Metallica stopped being thrash metal, they lost their identity.

- Ride The Lightning for their glory years. These days, ReLoad is a good example of how far they've sunken.

- Ride The Lightning

- Hetfield. I always got the feeling he wanted to continue the thrash metal route and I always felt he tried to maintain some kind of integrity. Lars, for instance, can rot in hell. He's money hungry and a poor drummer, whereas Hetfield is a tight rhythm player and is improving vocally lately.
But yeah. Hetfield, I like to think, isn't regretting much, given that he's a millionaire but I think he would have rather remained thrash. He, after all, always did speak about destroying poseurs.
But maybe not.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
by making music.

it hasn't

it would have been better

no

a dog turd

none of them

the dead one
Quote by darkstar2466
0) Pretty significantly. There are a lot of Kirk Hammett fanboys out there.
1) Metallica has not affected me very much as a person.
2) I think it would've been just dandy.
3) Yes in the sense that they have left a legacy, and No in the sense that they are putting out piles of sh*t nowadays.
4) Master of Puppets or Ride the Lightning
5) Master of Puppets
6) Hetfield

+1

And...

Quote by Jack Off Jill

Dave Mustaine.

Yes.
In a huge way....

It opened me up to metal and heavier styles of music.... I also made me admire the guitar in a more technical sorta way

It would have been different i guess

YES! look at he amount of bands that cover master of puppets...

Master of puppets

Ride the Lightning

And finally who is your favourite band member
1) lots

2) I play guitar

3) MotorHead style

4) as an influence

5) ...And Justice For All

6) Master of Puppets

7) none
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats

I think they have. They have influenced millions of bands and even though some may say that that influence is a negative one, I feel they are the band that has turned millions of people into metal.

Metallica made me want to continue playing guitar and are my favorite band ever. They made me appreciate metal music to a whole new level and have led me to research and find numerous other great bands.

Its hard to say, metal in the mainstream sense may not have been as in the forefront as it is now without them!

I believe so, maybe not so much as in the early 1990's when teh black album came out. But they are still the staple METAL "band". If you say metallica in any place in teh world someone, will know who you are talking about.

Master of Puppets is probably the "staple" album

....And Justice For All

James Hetfield/Kirk Hammett
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god

They've inspired many bands. They've set out the ground work for heavier metal. (led zep and sabbath etc etc did the basic heavy metal groundwork)

Gotten me into metal. my first emtal band. Inspired me to learn guitar. turned me into a metalhead. Old metallica.. their 80s trhash lifestyle.. Its what i strive for.

Quiet similar. with less ghei trivium.

Yes.

AJFA

AJFA or KEa. cant decide :P

Papa Het
they greatly changed the metal scene with their chugging and intricate riffs. brought metal to a whole new level although they were an underground band when recording Kill `Em All.

they opened my eye towards music theory and abusing pentatonic scales for those rad solos. they even showed me how to compromise for a limitation, like james' vocals.

People would be horrified of nickleback's songs. and alot of metal bands known to us would stray to pop/punk genres.

It was, it is, it will. the amount of people covering metallica's songs like fade to black, master of puppets & one etc.

Master Of Puppets & Kill `Em All

Kill `Em All & ...And Justice For All

Cliff Burton/ Hetfield
Ulquiorra Schiffer of THE BLEACH CLUB!

The Official UG Hate Crew member!

Love me because i'm an azn. hell yeah.

Well basically they were the first to play trash metal if I'm right, so you can pretty much say that they have influenced all other trash bands quite a lot. They have influenced a lot with for example their speed I think, they were considered very fast in the 80's.

Well metallica was the first metall band I listened so it opened my eyes kinda towards that genre. As a person it hasn't really changed me, but music is like therapy to me so it has helped me in the certain situations of my life.

Some bands might not have came to be, you can't really tell for sure, but I think metal would be the same.

Why not?

Master of puppets

Tough one. My personal favorite is maybe and justice for all.

James Hetfield, sick rhythm playing and he can sing well sametime.
1.They influenced it by making it more mainstream I guess. I was never into metal, and never heard of it until Metallica opened up my eyes to a whole new world.

2.THey have made me more interested in metal music and after listning to more kinds, i now have a very open mind to different styles of music.

3.I thnk it would be very underground. LIke it stil is kind of but i dono.

4.no. they take like forever to make albums while tons of metal bands are already making albums that are better than the last few metallica records. I think MEtallica is almost finished like they had a good run but i don't think they can rekindle the fire they once had.

5.I think the Black Album. Their styles really hit a pivotal point with that album becuase the riffs were very brutal while being a bit more melodic and radio friendly

6.Probably And Justice for all becuase its very dark sounding. it's very heavy.

7. James Hetfield. I like the other guys too but James is my favourite his riffs were sick and his downpicking is insane. And he's not a sissy like Kirk haha

Metallica's Kirk Hammett is one of the most copied guitarists in metal, and Master of Puppets and Ride the Lightning are key metal albums

Well, it's one of the first metal bands I've gotten into, and my love for metal has only expanded since. Since I've started liking metal, I have had a much bigger perspective on music (everything from classical music to neo-prog.)

I'm not sure, but I don't think the "growling" type vocals would be as prominent, as well as the amount of complexity metal has (most of that started with Metallica). Also, there's an incredible amount of bands influenced by Metallica.

I think they are too relevant. Metallica has always tried to be a "people's band" but they have done too much to appeal to that. They have declined in quality since 1991.

I think their self titled album is a good representation of their music.

Master of Puppets

Kirk Hammett and James Hetfield
1) They are probably the most influential metal band. When you say to a someone you like metal, the first thing they will think is Metallica.

2) Havent affected me...

3) umm.. not too sure, it probably wouldnt of.

4) I guess... more and more kids are getting into all this Bring Me The Horizon bollocks though, instead of old school Metallica, Slayer etc..

5) ...And Justice For All.

6) Ride The Lightning.

7) Don't have one... Kirk I guess..

They influenced the 80s american metal movement a lot i suppose.

Metallica haven't really affected me in such a way.

Pretty much the same tbh.

Judging from their last few releases, not as much as they were.

Master of Puppets

Ride the Lightning

Cliff!! or if that's not allowed, hetfield.
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."

Brought a more technical form of metal to the forefront of the scene without much radio or video support.

I always thought metal was somewhat unintelligent and just kinda crappy and simple until I heard ...And Justice for All and then I realized that there was a lot going on not only lyrically but musically as well. It also got me interested in politics oddly enough.

Megadeth would've taken their place, Megadeth would've been today's Metallica, just without St. Anger, haha.

Their older stuff definitely is, lots of guitarists cite Master of Puppets and ...And Justice for All as the album that made them want to play guitar or that changed their life or whatever, and I can honestly say that ...And Justice for All did that for me.

...And Justice for All. I know I keep using it, but seriously, that was Metallica at their creative peak, sadly without Cliff. I would love to know what that album would've been with Cliff. I'm sure we'd be able to hear the bass, haha. Anyway, that album always struck me, there are a lot of weird time shifts and things going on, that was probably the first time I'd ever heard anything I would really deem as "progressive" it's song structures are somewhat sporadic, yet still relevant, it is dark, it's heavy, and it's composition is incredible. The only other album that comes close is Master of Puppets. With Ride the Lightning behind it.

AJFA

Kirk, seems very down to earth and thoughtful.
Quote by Jack Off Jill

\
Dave Mustaine.

+11111111
"Some of these lyrics are pure black metal nonsense."
I think they promoted thrash and brought it to the (kind of) mainstream.

They got me into thrash.

It would never have got as extreme and technical as it is nowadays.

**** yeah. just erase st.anger

master of puppets

master of puppets/ride the lightning

well. would be cliff burton, but im gonna go with kirk Hammett, he seems down to earth, but the current bassist also seems a bit of a legend. Dunno why though.
NOIZE
Last edited by alteredgod at Nov 14, 2007,