i dont want to be like 97% of people that play metal and use emgs
so can you guys give me a hand on what passive pick up to buy?
i play heavy metal , thrash metal , and hard rock?
any help would be awesome cheers
my gear:
jackson dk2m
ibanez grg170dx.
peavey vyper 15
warwick corvette 5 string
ashdown 5 15
actually I suspect the majority of us use passive pickups ,,,,,

And you might wanna check out bareknuckle, or swineheads,
And think hard about your reason for wanting passives cause the way you phrase it leaves me wondering as to your motives,,,

Do you want passives for their tone qualities or just because you dont wanna look like everyone else using EMG's? cause their are other actives and even actives only make up a small part of your sound
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
There's a new active pickup, the Seymore Duncan Blackout ,so you don't HAVE to buy emgs if you want actives.
And Dimarzio do a decent one
The D-activator i think , you'll have to check on that though am not sure
Gear:
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
If you can get a Caparison pickup second hand, get it. I highly recommend those. I've tried a couple of p-ups, but these are the best. Fat tone for rythm, lots of sustain and harmonics and just awesome for lead.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
+1 on duncan jb's and d-activators
if u want a really extreme passive go for the X2N Dimarzio
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
There's a new active pickup, the Seymore Duncan Blackout ,so you don't HAVE to buy emgs if you want actives.

Yeah, there's all sorta of people making them now - Christ, even Epiphone have just churned one out, that could be Interesting to see how it works.
On the passive, I second the D-Activators or maybe go for a high end Duncan, like a Dimebucker or a distortion (6 or something)
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
seriously though dude, if you play metal like thrash and stuff EMG's are popular for a reason ,,, have you tried em out?
Gear:
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
A new amp.

I would steer clear of the JB; a little too thin for heavier metal styles in my opinion.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll

I would steer clear of the JB; a little too thin for heavier metal styles in my opinion.

Yeah, its a great sounding pickup, but not the best for CHUGGA CHUGGA metal, though I do think it sounds fairly good on a down tuned guitar, as it stays nice and tight and the down tuning makes up for its lack of bottom end. That said, try its cousin, the Distortion; same thing as the JB, but with a ceramic magnet for more bottom end.
what amp have you got, what's your guitar, and could you narrow down those genres a bit? also, rough budget?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by metallicafan616
i beleive theres a pplassive emg..

Yep, the HZ's. But stay away from those, as they sound nothing like the actives... nor do they sound very good in general.

I would say Dimarzio D-Activators, but I've always been against non-conformity if there is no real reason behind it. If you truly don't like the sound if EMG's, then okay. But don't not get them purely because you don't want to look like everyone else. They are great pickups for what you play. Like sajuuk said, they are popular for a reason. It's like saying you don't want to use a Marshall because every single stage seems to be covered in them. Well, there is a reason for that as well.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.