Hey i want to upgrade the pickups on my electric which is H-S-S.

Neck: single coil : full and FAT

Middle: single coil : brightish

Bridge: Humbucker: Loud and screaming

thanks alot!
i have seymour duncan jazz neck and its very full and fat. has bass like a mother too.
Gear nut
what amp are you using?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Swinesheadpickups.co.uk

neck = condor http://swinesheadpickups.co.uk/condor.shtml

http://swinesheadpickups.co.uk/audio/Condor.mp3

middle = spotlight / firefly

Spotlight: http://swinesheadpickups.co.uk/spotlight.shtml

http://swinesheadpickups.co.uk/audio/Spotlight.mp3

Firefly: http://swinesheadpickups.co.uk/dragonfly.shtml

http://swinesheadpickups.co.uk/audio/Dragonfly.mp3

bridge = warthog or venom or something

Warthog: http://swinesheadpickups.co.uk/warthog.shtml

http://swinesheadpickups.co.uk/audio/Warthog.mp3

Venom: http://swinesheadpickups.co.uk/venom.shtml

http://swinesheadpickups.co.uk/audio/Venomheavy.mp3
http://swinesheadpickups.co.uk/audio/Venomclean.mp3

best there is as long as your an european!
Humbuckers with plastic 46,95 pound (132 dollar, 95 euro) and single's are 39,95 pound (81 dollar, 58 euro) and free shipping within Europe.
Cheaper then DiMazio's or Seymour Duncan's except when you live in the USA

Else go for the above (or other given) options
Last edited by JvL at Nov 14, 2007,
What amp are you using and what style of music do you want to play? Nobody can give trustworthy pickup advice if they don't know what you want to do with the pickups.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
What amp are you using and what style of music do you want to play? Nobody can give trustworthy pickup advice if they don't know what you want to do with the pickups.

+1

also, what wood is your guitar made of, and do you have a rough budget?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by universal_man
so...how many kinds of pickup out there?

hundreds.
oh cmon! what kind of wood is your guitar?? yeah i know it makes a difference but i think he just wants some general leads on what to look at.

What sort of room will you be playing in? how are the acoustics in it? what color is your hair??
Gear nut
^does he want an answer or not?

you're making it sound like we're asking too many questions. meanwhile he hasnt offered even the slightest bit of info to make an informed answer.

dont get pissed cause you jumped the gun.

if you dont know what amp he's using, then you have no clue. maybe he shouldnt spend $250 on pups when that money should be put to better use upgrading a starter.

as for wood type. that's huge, sorry.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

thank you jenny and john.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by mrryan
oh cmon! what kind of wood is your guitar?? yeah i know it makes a difference but i think he just wants some general leads on what to look at.

What sort of room will you be playing in? how are the acoustics in it? what color is your hair??

run along now and play with your awesome jb/jazz set.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

I'm sure you meant to say "awesomely versatile".

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by Dave_Mc

Bitch

I think this is why I ask customers "what guitar" rather than what wood. People think you are just going over even though it really is important information. The type of wood does make a huge difference but knowing the thickness and shape of the wood combined with the scale also make a difference. The "what guitar" question can mislead though. Especialy when you have something like a mahogany body tele with humbuckers. A guitar like that will act more like and LP than like a tele and that is largly do to the wood. If somebody has a mahogany body tele and they are looking for humbuckers, I ask what guitar, they tell me "a tele" and fail to mention the mahogany body then I could recomend pickups that would be too muddy for their guitar. My point is everything matters and what wood is a very justified question.

There are many pickup makers that even go so far as to say what pickups to use based on your fretboard. I've had people swear that you should only use formvar pickups with rosewood fretboard. I think thats a bit overboard but I guess it matters to some.

Every little thing matters right down to the speakers you are using or the type of rectifier tube you have in your amp. For example, a 5U4 rectifier will compress your tone more than a 5AR4 which means that you can get away with pickups that have more scoop in the midrange and still sound fat. This is paticularly surprising to people when you think about the fact that the only job of the rectifier is to change the ac current to dc.

Does this all sound a bit overwhelming? Thats why smaller pickup winders (not just boutuqe winders like myself, but all small companies that have really good 1 on 1 comunication with customers) winders are worth the extra money. They can talk you through the whole thing and help make sense of the madness.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Nov 15, 2007,
agreed- it's not just the wood (hardware etc. affects it too- as you say, everything has an effect).

Some people think you're being anal... we probably are, but at the same time, if you want advice, you presumably want the best advice you can get, and the only way to get that is to provide as much information as possible...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
are the seymour duncan HS-6 distortion pickups a good choise for metal with harmonic choruses?
what are harmonic choruses if you're writing home?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
damn you guys are analholes.. i was just bustin balls in the first place.
Gear nut
^we do get a bit up ourselves but thats cuz gear is fun for us so we have taken the time to learn a lot about it. Don't take any of it personaly.
^
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Duncans are the way to go. Other homemade pups might be iffy if they dont have serious quality control. But Duncans and dimarzios do, for sure.
dude, what the fuck? My bareknuckles and swinesheads own my duncans- and from all i hear, so will cordy's and bulldogs etc.

Do duncans have a lifetime warranty? cos i know bareknuckles do.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
im playing through a friends amp now (20 watts) but will get one soon. anyway the wood is alder i think. I mostly play metal (metallica, slayer, pantera) but also some classic rock (zeppelin, deep purple)
just buy the amp first.

what's ur budget?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

^ agreed, jenny- you won't know if you need hot pickups, or lower output pickups, nor what type of eq curve to go for, till you have the amp.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?