Hello, everyone who reads this thread, just a little warning. This is me asking you, what you think I should do, so please read, and help, and don't scream at me ..thanks

Well, for some reason or another, I've been going crazy, listening to the bass in music a lot more, from hard rock, to jazz. And I really think I could get into playing the bass. I'm really no good at guitar, but I can read music okay, because I played the trumpet for three years. And I was wonder what a good idea for a begging bass would be. Nothing to to fancy, and I want to try to keep it under 400 dollars...I have amp, its a blazer 158 or something... and I was hoping I could just use that so I wouldn't have to buy a new one. But I've heard a lot of people talking about Bass amps, and I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy a bass amp.

So, any information, or ideas would help a ton!

Thanks!

-Slowpoke
Best getting a bass amp. Doesn't have to be a big expensive one, but it will be better. Honest.
It's quite hard to go wrong with budget basses these days, they're a lot better than they used to be. Cheap Squier, Yamaha and Ibanez basses are worth a look at. as long as the neck's straight and there's some output, you're up and running.
Buy a Thunderbird and find out about a whole world of hate in these parts!
Thanks man, I was looking at Ibanez basses, and I have heard a lot of good things about them. And I'm also glad to hear that I can buy a cheap bass amp. thanks!!
The Ibanez GSR series are a good choice. A good solid bass that'll serve you well to learn on. And on the plus side, Ibanez used Fender specs for most of the hardware, so they're easily upgraded if you want, at a later stage.
Here's an example of some basic mods...
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=690482
Yeah you should definately buy a bass amp, you don't want to blow your amp. Ibanez basses is great for starters.
Don't expect the bass to be an easy way out if you're "no good" at guitar. lolz
Get an okay small bass amp for starters or play in a quiet room without an amp.
Yes, a bass will slowly destroy a guitar amp. You will need a bass amp, but they come fairly cheaply nowerdays.

Squire, Ibanez and Yamaha are my recommendations. Just look around, try a few in your price range and get one you like the most. Though I would take ideas back here, as some beginner basses have inherant flaws (e.g. thunderbirds and neck drive, poor fret access and balnd tone. However, many beginners see epiphone, think about the guitars they produce, the TBs look and bassy tone) which aren't easy to see.

And don't think bass is an easy way out. It requires completely different technique to a guitar (though some experience of fretting and such will help). My best analagy is the violin to the cello and double bass. The violin can play a lot quicker and is often in the limelight. However, the cello and double bass take just as much skill to play.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Just get an Ibanez Pack. I got one and I still use it. I really need a new bass, but its still a damn good one.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
I got me a Yamaha RBX 270 around 2 years ago, it's still my main bass

Mainly because I can't afford my Ibanez Sgr505 yet
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Keep going! You'll get a new one sooner or later lol.
And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking. Racing around to come up behind you again. - Pink Floyd -

-Slowpoke
Quote by creepingjesus73

Buy a Thunderbird and find out about a whole world of hate in these parts!

What's wrong with Thunderbirds?
Quote by deathnote29
What's wrong with Thunderbirds?

Nothing, people assume because they look nice they won't sound good when infact they sound better than most basses of the same price IMO. The epiphone one is good but the Tokai ones are absolutely fantastic.
I hear a bunch of stuff about thunderbirds, epiphone ones anyway. I do here good things about the others tho.
And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking. Racing around to come up behind you again. - Pink Floyd -

-Slowpoke
:d

-Slowpoke
Quote by eaton1012
Ibanez starter pack

never buy a starter pack

you need to get a bass amp, and if you dont wanna spend a lot of money i found one less than $20 on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/15-Watt-Practice-Amp-Amplifier-Electric-Bass-Guitar_W0QQitemZ130172211448QQihZ003QQcategoryZ121159QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

for the bass i will say try out cort basses and used fender jazz basses
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
Thanks man!!

-Slowpoke