what the hell do people mean when they say 'im play rock and a little metal' or vice versa. isnt metal a subgenre within the humongous musical genre called rock, or are these people being dumb on purpose?

i expect explanations other than 'people think rock is softer than metal so when he says that it means he plays both metal and stuff thats softer than metal like alternative, punk, classic etc.'
Que?

Its very hard to define genres, and you can spend many hours talking about it... But this isent the right place...
PICTURE YOURSELF IN A BOAT ON A RIVER
WITH TANGERINE TREES AND MARMALADE SKIES...
Quote by denizenz
Ever heard of Alternative Rock, Punk Rock, Classic Rock? Ok, good. Now, ever heard of metal rock? Hell no asshole.

This concludes today's lesson on sub genres.

no, noone's heard of metal rock, but thats what comes of being the biggest subgenre in rock. you think you're bigger than your daddy.

metal couldnt have existed if it wasnt for rock
Quote by denizenz
Ever heard of Alternative Rock, Punk Rock, Classic Rock? Ok, good. Now, ever heard of metal rock? Hell no asshole.

This concludes today's lesson on sub genres.

"I never liked those Deep Purples or those sort of things. I always hated it. I always thought it was a poor man’s Led Zeppelin"
// Angus Young

+1
Quote by fadetowhite

no
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
go denizenz, go!
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
Quote by fadetowhite
no, noone's heard of metal rock, but thats what comes of being the biggest subgenre in rock. you think you're bigger than your daddy.

So rock is still a sub-genre of Blues, and Blues is a sub-genre of jazz etc.?
Quote by fadetowhite

Ok now you just sound ignorant. I was going to let it slide, but I feel like being a dick.

By this logic, rock couldn't have existed without Gregorian Chant or Baroque Classical...do you consider rock as classical music? GTFO.
Quote by abhishek21
I just love to play guitar . Thats it.

well sed, me 2, i hate all this crap about different genres.
Quote by fadetowhite

In that case, we should all be calling ourselves rock blues artists.

Metal is still a subgenre of rock, whether it was ever called metal rock or not. If it was ever called "metal rock" whoever penned that phrase should be perma-banned from the Earth.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by fadetowhite
what the hell do people mean when they say 'im play rock and a little metal' or vice versa. isnt metal a subgenre within the humongous musical genre called rock, or are these people being dumb on purpose?

i expect explanations other than 'people think rock is softer than metal so when he says that it means he plays both metal and stuff thats softer than metal like alternative, punk, classic etc.'

what's your point? I just like rock and metal equally.
Just because Metal came out of Rock doesn't mean that Metal IS rock. When someone mentions Rock I generally think of the classic Rock n Roll bands - Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and so on. I'll be damned if I know anyone who talks about - just as an example - Amon Amarth or Caliban as "rock".

Compare Deep Purple to Lamb of God and then try and put them in the same genre.
Quote by even_flow
Just because Metal came out of Rock doesn't mean that Metal IS rock. When someone mentions Rock I generally think of the classic Rock n Roll bands - Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and so on. I'll be damned if I know anyone who talks about - just as an example - Amon Amarth or Caliban as "rock".

Compare Deep Purple to Lamb of God and then try and put them in the same genre.

[U]This is the rock genre.[/U]

Deep Puple

Lamb of God

There.

Anyway, rock can be seen as two different things. One, you have rock as an outsider (someone not listening to rock/metal etc.)'s point of view. This generally is rock as spanning for pop-punk to death metal. Just like the treadstarter mentioned.

The second is from Denisenz' and his followers' point of view. They classify Classic rock, alternative rock etc. as rock.

I'm not saying people who look at things from the first point of view are outsiders, my aim is more to make clear rock *could be* a subgenre of rock.
Quote by frankv

I'm not saying people who look at things from the first point of view are outsiders, my aim is more to make clear rock *could be* a subgenre of rock.

Did you mean metal could be a subgenre of rock? That's what I'm hoping for.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

i like metal more than the wise guy's definition of rock. at least, i listen to it more. but its roots lie in rock and james hetfield wouldnt have started thrashing around with his axe if the only musical revolution before him was jazz. i just wanted to know what the 'i play rock and metal' people's definition of rock is
Quote by frankv
Subgenre wasn't the right word probably. Rock can be used as a gathering name for anything from Pop-punk to Metal.

I'm pretty sure that Shakira is classed as rock too. Why not just say that every form of music from Hip-hop, pop, R&B, punk, and metal are all rock and roll?

Edit: Hey, I'll take half right
Quote by frankv
Subgenre wasn't the right word probably. Rock can be used as a gathering name for anything from Pop-punk to Metal.

Edit: I'm sorry Denizenz, you're only half-right this time.

No no no, I only say anything because you said rock could be a subgenre of rock, and that = .

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Most people who play metal also enjoy a lot of rock and don't wanna seem like they're just mindless metalheads, so they say "rock and metal"
Quote by Superpartydude5
Most people who play metal also enjoy a lot of rock and don't wanna seem like they're just mindless metalheads, so they say "rock and metal"

this helped me more than the rest of the replies i got
I dont know.... but name one band labeled ROCK and anoter band labeled METAL. Do they sound exactly the same??? Maybe not.
So you can say you play Rock (name that band) AND metal(name a band) because they dont sound exactly the same.

The problem is the misunderstanding of ROCK. Rock is being interpreted as the Genre and Subgenre.
The genre ROCK is the big picture.
The subgenre rock is the "softer than metal" sound that TS said.
The subgenre Metal is... well you know.

Its like Ice Cream haha (the big picture) and then they have different flavors (subgenres) that taste like Icre Cream (because in fact they are ice cream) but between them, they are not all the same.
Quote by fadetowhite
... isnt metal a subgenre within the humongous musical genre called rock, ....?
.'

to be honest, i never think Metal is a subgenre of Rock. i will say Metal is another genre,but it is originated from rock. the evolution of Rock, Metal exists.
Quote by Chasepw133

You can go back for ages. They're not subgenres though, they've evolved from it and become something hugely different, yet related. Like people and monkeys.

Anyway, I think metal has changed enough to be an evolution from rock, not a subgenre.

Anyway, jazz evolved from blues, not the other way around.

EDIT: And many parts of metal are closer to classical music, just heavier. Metal is just metal now.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Last edited by freddaahh at Nov 14, 2007,
Metal is a hell lot vaster than rock, it's more of a genre on it's own.

Ohh, whoever said metal could existed without rock is a idiot - most forms of metal roots back to punk, which roots back to rock.
Well, metal and rock are music. Why not just say "I play music" when someone asks?

It's not specific enough. I don't play rock. I play metal.
Quote by Chasepw133

Jazz came from Blues actually.
It's GANDHI not GHANDI

Quote by lewymcgee
oh yea, stanleybach, what are u like the forum ass hole, stop tryin to ruin all the fun u dick head

Quote by webbtje
Stanleybach fucked a tree. My perversion is nothing.