I've been trying to understand scales and I found a really good lesson, but there are points such as:

"Lets say you want to descend in C (which is the 8th fret of the 6th string)"

How is the 8th fret of the 6th string a C note? Is there a certain theory behind it or are am I just supposed to memorize the notes individually?

Thanks.

Also, I feel like I've been making a lot of dumb topic recently so I apologize for that.
The open strings of the guitar are E A D G B e, and for each fret you go up a semitone from the pitch of the open string.

For example, F is the first fret on either of the E strings, because it's a semitone up. Gb would be next, and so on.

And in standard tuning, the strings are 5 semitones apart, so 8th fret on E would be the same as 3rd fret on A, both being the same note of C.

Hope that made sense/helped.
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
notes go A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G#

So start with one you know, ie open string A or whatever, then count the frets as you go.
Originally posted by Meths
You need serious amounts of therapy.

Quote by jagstang270
One should not try to masturbate while Dragoneforce is in the background
you just can't keep up.

Quote by waylay00
DragonForce? Sounds like some early 90's children's cartoon or action hero lineup.
just remember how many semitones in between each note

all you really need to know is that F is on semitone higher than E and C is one semitone higher than B

all the others are 2 semitones apart (i think, i always screw these things up)

Forza Juve

'e voglia 'e mettere rum, chi nasce strunz' nun po' addiventà babbà
So basically it's all relative to what string you play on, correct? Let's say that I want to play D#. I could do it on both:

[6th fret of the A string] or on the [4th fret of the B string]? Am I doing it correct?
Quote by abhiramtheking
How is the 8th fret of the 6th string a C note? Is there a certain theory behind it or are am I just supposed to memorize the notes individually?

Thanks.

Also, I feel like I've been making a lot of dumb topic recently so I apologize for that.

The theory behind it is actually quite simple. Notes occur at a certain frequency. For example, when you use a tuning fork, they're usually at the note A at 440 Hz, meaning the wave oscillates 440 times per second. When you move up an octave, you're doubling the frequency. When you move down, you're halving it, so A occurs at 220 Hz, 440 Hz, 880 Hz, etc. Every time you fret a note, you're shortening the length of the string, thereby increasing its oscillation speed, increasing the pitch. I'm not exactly sure how many Hz the note C on the 8th fret of your low E string oscillates at, but that's the theory behind it.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Nov 14, 2007,
Quote by abhiramtheking
So basically it's all relative to what string you play on, correct? Let's say that I want to play D#. I could do it on both:

[6th fret of the A string] or on the [4th fret of the B string]? Am I doing it correct?

Yeah, exactly. Or it could also be 1st fret on the D string, the 4th on B would be the next octave up.
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.