Page 1 of 2
Alright no one yell at me I'm just voicing my opinion. I know Gene is by far, in no way the best bassist ever. But I mean the man can lay down a funky groove. I think he deserves a little more credit than he gets. You honestly can really say he's a "bad" bassist can you?
Gear
Ibanez SR400QM
Squier P-Bass
Fender Rumble 100 2x10
Concertmate-990 Keyboard
BBE Stomp Sonic Maximizer
Squier Stratocaster
Fender 15w Guitar Amp
He's a good bassist but a ****ty human being.
Quote by MeRcI-BuCkEtS
Evolve?

Evolve Festival 2007: Aug. 2nd, 3rd & 4th!!!
Evolve Festival 2008: July 25th, 26th & 27th!!!
Evolve Festival 2009: July 17th, 18th & 19th!!!
Sunflower Valley
Antigonish, Nova Scotia
www.evolvefestival.com
Hahahaha well I do Agree with that.
Gear
Ibanez SR400QM
Squier P-Bass
Fender Rumble 100 2x10
Concertmate-990 Keyboard
BBE Stomp Sonic Maximizer
Squier Stratocaster
Fender 15w Guitar Amp
He is pretty decent in my opinion...
But when he tries to do a bass-solo he just suucks balls.
PICTURE YOURSELF IN A BOAT ON A RIVER
WITH TANGERINE TREES AND MARMALADE SKIES...
... I hate KISS... I do have to say though he isnt bad at bass.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Having been alive when Kiss was in their prime, the music was never the point. It was all style (and theatrics) over substance. In that perspective, Gene was the perfect bass foil for the rest of the group.
The man has no love for the instrument and he was never about the instrument. I'm under the impression that 95% of mainstream KISS fans (i.e. 95% of all KISS fans) don't even know what instrument he plays. If you were to tell someone "Gene Simmons plays some great bass lines", I bet a lot of people would say "Oh yeah?" as if you just told them that he can speak 61 languages.

As an aside, I don't mind his personality - his full of ****/self affacing thing is kinda fun, but the sheer amount of scripting on his show is just beyond the beyond. It's an insult to the senses... yet I watch and watch and point out all the scripting. I am a strange man.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I'm not a fan of him really whether he has a bass or not, he did what was needed in KISS thought like anarkee said.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Atleast he didn't get drunk or snowed/toasted off his damn mind.
So an irishman walks out of a bar.
He does what he have to, the only feeling I have towards him is apathy. (Well, also pride that such a famous musician is Israeli, but I can't really enjoy his music anyway).
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Hes a great riff writer (Detroit Rock City is a classic bassline). But thats about it in my opinion.
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Quote by Micah_Bass22
You honestly can't really say he's a "bad" bassist can you?

O rly? He's a bad bassist. He made very below average basslines that require the skill, both in writing and playing, of a person who has played for a year. Sure, you can say he filled the hole, or whatever totally irrelevant argument you want to bust out, but the fact is he's not good.
Quote by thefitz
The man has no love for the instrument and he was never about the instrument. I'm under the impression that 95% of mainstream KISS fans (i.e. 95% of all KISS fans) don't even know what instrument he plays. If you were to tell someone "Gene Simmons plays some great bass lines", I bet a lot of people would say "Oh yeah?" as if you just told them that he can speak 61 languages.

As an aside, I don't mind his personality - his full of ****/self affacing thing is kinda fun, but the sheer amount of scripting on his show is just beyond the beyond. It's an insult to the senses... yet I watch and watch and point out all the scripting. I am a strange man.

wow, i thought i was the only one who actually watched the show only to point out how scripted and bad it was (i figured everyone knew it was terribly scripted, just didn't think anyone watched it after the fact)

i would also agree with you on the bass thing, gene simmons may have had some talent in writing a good riff, but it never seemed like he really cared about the instrument, he was more in it for the fame than anything. If he cared about his instrument he would have made it apparent that he played it, instead he's remembered for his tongue.

did you guys know he owns the patent for the word O.J?
Gene Simmons played bass!?!?
i thought he just had a big tongue lol
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
Quote by thefitz

He has said KISS is a rock and roll BRAND not a rock and roll BAND

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Gene's just cashing in on the fame Kiss attained, which like them or not, was huge!!
is he a great bass player? no. he is a great salesman, that got famous playing bass.
he sells a product he believes in, and that product is himself. i should be so lucky. lol
I came into this thread with a dreadful feeling that someone was going to post that video of him "soloing" at a concert, and he's actually just playing like a 6-note riff in different keys.
I still really have fun playing the Detroit Rock City bassline. Outside of that, there really isn't much and yeah, his solos are horrendous.
I'd take ol' Wentzy over Gene Simmons. They're both sellouts and attention whores but at least Wentz can write a catchy line that can get stuck in your head and piss you off.
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

Fender MIM J-Bass Fretless
Quote by FenderKid87
I'd take ol' Wentzy over Gene Simmons. They're both sellouts and attention whores but at least Wentz can write a catchy line that can get stuck in your head and piss you off.

haha. yeah, little old pete got that dance dance bass line stuck in my head for weeks. everyone at band practice thought i was fag cause i busted out playing it one day (i play death metal) haha. but honestly, i was never into kiss, and i never knew gene simmons played bass, all i remember about him is him sticking is tounge out and wearing some pretty gay looking make-up.
ive never liked kiss, and ive never liked his bass playing, it was just to pretentious
Quote by AJbassPLAYER
haha. yeah, little old pete got that dance dance bass line stuck in my head for weeks. everyone at band practice thought i was fag cause i busted out playing it one day (i play death metal) haha. but honestly, i was never into kiss, and i never knew gene simmons played bass, all i remember about him is him sticking is tounge out and wearing some pretty gay looking make-up.

AFAIK pete wentz doesn't write the basslines. He writes the lyrics and the Patrick Stump composes the music.
i think he is a solid bassist. not good, just solid.
besides, like has been said so many times, it was never REALY about the music anyway
How do I change my sig?
Mediocre is the word. He's not bad, he does have some sense of rhythm, but he's not much for standing out or actually using music to express himself. Simmons is a businessman first, bassist last.
hes a total and utter asshole but each to his own his bass lines don't really excite me it just seems like **** rock blown outta proportion
I am me. Live with it.
Quote by SystemOVADown

Totally awful.
Dingwall Afterburner I 5 string
Warwick Blue Cab 30 practice amp
Quote by thefitz
But hold on - you're debating on whether or not to buy a bass or keep your house? That's pretty fucking hardcore!
Quote by Micah_Bass22
You honestly can really say he's a "bad" bassist can you?

Yep, I can. He's not a good person either.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
I just took the time to listen to this entire solo, that was not a good decision.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Quote by Charlatan_001
Actually, Gene is a douchebag first, businessman second, then bassist last.

Quoted for truth. Go you youtube and find John Entwistle soloing at some concert. Then you'll understand the meaning of a good bassist.

Man, or even any of the memorable riffs put out by such "lowly" members of the musical society: punk bands. Gene couldn't hold a freakin candle to any of Matt Freeman's riffs. I play guitar, but I still know that the chorus and the verse are actually even harder than the crazy bass solo in Maxwell Murder. And it sounds tasty. Journey to the End of East Bay? Great bass song. I could name a million
Well, here he has some point about this downloading, but this is another proof that his only passion is money and that he is more a big-tongued businessman than a bassist.
Dingwall Afterburner I 5 string
Warwick Blue Cab 30 practice amp
Quote by thefitz
But hold on - you're debating on whether or not to buy a bass or keep your house? That's pretty fucking hardcore!
Quote by AJbassPLAYER

I'm not calling you a liar, but Dance Dance isn't a catchy bass line. Jump Into The Fire by Harry Nilsson is a catchy bass line. Roundabout is a catchy bass line. How Many More Times is a catchy bass line. Dance Dance isn't catchy. Or is that the current definition of 'catchy' these days? 'I can hear it, so it's catchy'?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
I'm not calling you a liar, but Dance Dance isn't a catchy bass line. Jump Into The Fire by Harry Nilsson is a catchy bass line. Roundabout is a catchy bass line. How Many More Times is a catchy bass line. Dance Dance isn't catchy. Or is that the current definition of 'catchy' these days? 'I can hear it, so it's catchy'?

Well, "catchy" is pretty subjective, don't you think?

I mean, you could argue that a "catchy" riff should probably have some sort of memorable melody or something, as opposed to 4 notes played in succession....
Quote by Charlatan_001
Well, "catchy" is pretty subjective, don't you think?

I mean, you could argue that a "catchy" riff should probably have some sort of memorable melody or something, as opposed to 4 notes played in succession....

Right - I guess I was saying in a Fitzy way "if you think that riff is catchy, dig THESE ones."

Just like Marv said "It's amazing what they're passing off as a Mercedes these days..." - IMnotHO that's what's happening with 'catchy' music.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Last edited by thefitz at Nov 17, 2007,
Quote by SystemOVADown

Wow. That solo was like aural rape.

I don't think my ears will ever be the same
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Page 1 of 2