yeah, so i just saw some spam on here for a chinese wholesaler (yeah, its been reported)

i just thought id share with anyone that doesnt already know, 99.9% of guitar companys selling on the internet from china, are scammers. BE CAREFUL.

i would never even click on a link to a chinese guitar site. there have been THOUSANDS of reports or either the guitars arriving in very crappy condition, or not at all. some of these companys sell guitars they do not have. they simply collect your money, and send nothing.

others are fake gibsons/fenders/ibanez's/epiphones etc. they are very poor quality and often arent even good enough to hang on your wall for decoration.

if you are in doubt, do not buy.

these companys also operate a lot on ebay. most guitar manufacturers have guides on their sites to telling the difference between fakes, and the real deal. check them out before buying anything, and always pay through paypal. at least then you stand a chance of getting your money back if it isnt what they say it is.
I actually bought a fake Chinese Epiphone Les Paul Custom once.

Bought for £186; sold for over £300 .
Quote by blue_strat
I actually bought a fake Chinese Epiphone Les Paul Custom once.

Bought for £186; sold for over £300 .

lmao.

i guess its not all horror stories with them then... if you can find someone dumb enough to take it off your hands lol.

also, id like to add that even owning a knock-off guitar is illegal, and you can be fined, or even jailed for it.
Quote by Guitargle
lmao.

i guess its not all horror stories with them then... if you can find someone dumb enough to take it off your hands lol.

also, id like to add that even owning a knock-off guitar is illegal, and you can be fined, or even jailed for it.

....it's illegal to be scammed? that's stupid.
Quote by Guitargle
Sounds like urban myth.
It isn't illegal to own a fake Gibson or whatever. It's only illegal to advertise it as a real one.

If you're buying one and you know that it's a fake, no one will care if you do buy it. The false advertising laws are just there to protect customers.
Last edited by blue_strat at Nov 14, 2007,
Buying a fake guitar for cheap then turning around and selling it to some other guy seems a bit dishonest. I guess thats the reason they have those laws. And anybody who thinks they can get a 2000 dollar gibson from china for 200 dollars kinda deserves to get ripped off. Just so long as they dont try to pawn off their problem on somebody else.
Quote by blue_strat
It isn't illegal to own a fake Gibson or whatever. It's only illegal to advertise it as a real one.

If you're buying one and you know that it's a fake, no one will care if you do buy it. The false advertising laws are just there to protect customers.

quoted from ibanez.com:

By regional statutes, in the most countries, it's not only a felony to sell counterfeit merchandise, it's a felony even to own it.
Ture dat, in the UK it's illegal to knowingly own counterfeit goods, though it obviously doesn't stop a lot of people.
While on the subject of scams, here's a warning for craigslist sellers. Don't even bother responding to "buyers" like this guy who emailed me: (especially in my case when I already mentioned that I would only accept cash in person)

from **********<**********@yahoo.com>
to **********
date Oct 27, 2007 8:57 PM
subject Peavey Classic 50 Tube Amp - $325
mailed-by yahoo.com
signed-by yahoo.com

Hello seller,
I am interested in your item, i need to know if it is still available for sale and in good condition, as i am okay with the price $325 for the item and shall be making an immediate payment for the item thru cashier check, because that is the only method the payment can be made .

And as for the shipping i will arrange for a local pick up for the item as soon as you got the check cashed and have the full payment in your hand and the i will take care of the shipping bill .

If you are ok with all this arrangement quickly get back to me with all this informations below so that the payment can be mailed to you asap

Name:
Address:
City:
State:
Zipcode:
Phone#:

I awaits your response fast.........
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
does anybody even fall for these crappy scams? is a warning really necesarry?
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
it's sad but they do
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
People are still falling for the nigerian prince thing arent they and how long have they been telling everybody its a scam. Just a sign of the times. And people are always gonna try. If they try 10 times there will be one idiot. I take to 2 forms of payment cash, and cash if its to much trouble for a buyer then they usually were trying to pull something.
Last edited by Tackleberry at Nov 14, 2007,
I agree it's not illegal to own a counterfit guitar but it is illegal to manufacturer, sell and advertize them. I don't know what the tha law says about reselling one and not telling the buyer it's not real. I have seen a few of these counterfits and I have to say they do a good job at counterfitting them if you really don't know your guitars it's very easy to get taken. Some come with all the right paper work, boxes, plastic protection covers over the pups little decals etc. I have seen other counterfit stuff from China and they are masters at copying stuff. It might not be 100% but it's close enough to fool most people.

John
according to ibanez, it is illegal in some contries to own a fake guitar.

and iv seen copies from china that have no truss rod, and completely suck.

i accept paypal, or paypal when purchasing, or selling over the internet. that way i can get my cash back if anything goes wrong.

as for giving my personal details out, i dont even liek to give my real e-mail out. i use an email from one of my sites for people i dont know normally. i never ever give out my address and phone number to the same person. address if they are sending me something i paid for, and want. phone number, never.
i even use a fake I.P on websites i visit as a precaution.