So I've noticed a few threads going around lately along the lines of:

"I've just started playing with my fingers, god they hurt!" etc

And I've decided to make a thread about what to do when your fingers start to hurt.

First things first, if your fingers start to hurt, STOP. Believe me, when I started playing I didn't stop playing after my fingers started hurting and they started bleeding.

So stop playing, and wait a few days or possibly a week or two till you get cysts forming or the tips of your fingers. Simple as. I stopped playing after I saw sense and now I can hold a lighter under my finger tips and not feel a thing.

if you've got any suggestions then your welcome to suggest them.

Hopefully this'll stop all the threads about newbies fingers hurting.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Last edited by fleajr_1412 at Nov 14, 2007,
i jus carry on playin till i get blisters, then pop em with a needle and leave it for a day or jus play with a pick for a while

works for me
Shout "I'm a man, hear me roar" and suck it up.

I havent stopped playing when my fingers started hurting as a beginner, after a few days it didn't hurt anymore.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Depends on the type of hurt if its your fingers tips getting "raw" then you could carry on or stop its up to you. But if you actual muscles or joints hurting then STOP because as Dimeback darrel said "you will tool up your hands".
yeah, you arent kidding about the cysts, its like my fingers are dead ^_^
Epi LP Custom SILVERBURST

Quote by thefitz

Hold it like you hold a Crunchwrap Supreme.

Official Chiodos Fan of the Bass Militia
PM DinkyDaisy to Join
You just need to keep going, unless you can't take the pain anymore. Just when it happened to me I just waited for around 10 mins and went right back to playing.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
use the other fingers. makes you able to use all 4 fingers, a wonderful trick to have.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by 14shadesofblue
no pain no game

Amen

you know your a bassist when your callouses start to form over your blisters
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Wierd this thread should pop up, I got my first finger blister in like a year an 1/2 today. Its been a slap/pop kinda week...
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Quote by the humanity
use the other fingers. makes you able to use all 4 fingers, a wonderful trick to have.

I do that some times....1 and 2 get sore so I use 2 and 3...i haven't got my pinky in yet.....

I also put my fingers on something cold for a little bit then keep playing....My fingers still have a little feeling in them so I can improve some.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
If your fingers hurt, go to your nearest music store and play a double bass for 20 minutes. You will start to realize that your blisters aren't all that and a bag of potato chips, and all of a sudden you start to appreciate your minuscule pain. Double basses are true pain. It's like someone punching you in the forehead. Sure it hurts, sure you say "Hey stop hitting me in the head" but when they start punching you in the testicles, all of a sudden your forehead is looking real nice.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
If your fingers hurt, go to your nearest music store and play a double bass for 20 minutes. You will start to realize that your blisters aren't all that and a bag of potato chips, and all of a sudden you start to appreciate your minuscule pain. Double basses are true pain. It's like someone punching you in the forehead. Sure it hurts, sure you say "Hey stop hitting me in the head" but when they start punching you in the testicles, all of a sudden your forehead is looking real nice.

... What?

I kept on playing even after I got a blister and a callous..
I could squish around my pointer finger and all the blood would move to one side, so I kept on playing around with it ;D

I didn't even get finger pain when I started playing with my fingers =o
Nice metaphor Bales. Deep.
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Quote by 14shadesofblue
no pain no GAIN

Corrected
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
i had bandages on most of my fingers two weeks into playing, blisters the size of fikkin melons, ok now im just exaggerating
Quote by li-ham-sandwich
i jus carry on playin till i get blisters, then pop em with a needle and leave it for a day or jus play with a pick for a while

works for me

From a medical stand point (I work in a doctor's office) blisters are a sterile environment, popping them can actually introduce bacteria into the area which can actually keep you from playing for more than just a day. If it gets infected you could be on an antibiotic and be off your bass for a week.

My opinion don't pop them, give them a day (mine only last a day anyway) the body reabsorbs the fluid and then you can play away.
Bales is 100% right in that analogy. And if you've ever played an hour long set on an upright without have good callouses built up then your in for some real fun. They still haven't got the blood stains off the stage yet. And there goes a perfectly good white dress shirt.
my music teacher once told me of a bassist he knew that just SUPERGLUED the tips of his fingers. He just peeled off the glue after the show. But only when he'sd been practicing something for a long time and he roughed up his fingers...i strongly disagree with that though, b/c imagine how bad you'd if you glue your fingers and couldn't get the glue off....
Red Hot Chili Peppers

ohhhhhh ya
Quote by laxboy10000
my music teacher once told me of a bassist he knew that just SUPERGLUED the tips of his fingers. He just peeled off the glue after the show. But only when he'sd been practicing something for a long time and he roughed up his fingers...i strongly disagree with that though, b/c imagine how bad you'd if you glue your fingers and couldn't get the glue off....

I believe Stevie Ray Vaughn used to superglue the tips of his left fingers to his right forearm and rip the off to get an extra layer on them...
If you gotta play a gig or something, tape em. Otherwise, just make a little hole in your blisters, and then wait a day or so, the skin dies and gets rock hard. Don't tear that off. I've heard stuff about using vinegar or something on them to bring the moisture out.
Quote by GreenDayChris
I drink, and say oi occasionally. but I can't get laid to save my life.

Quote by Symphonic_Chaos
MX4Life you fucking godhaha
If your fingers hurt, play harder. My calluses are so thick i can stick needles into them without a second thought. Also, do a lot of slides, thats a good way to rough up your fingers and get calluses quicker.
Superglue = Instant Callaus.

It's probably not healthy by any means, especially if it get's anywhere than on the surface of the epidermis (heh, sounds like some grunge lyrics), but it saved me a lot of pain when I played for long periods, or had multiple closly scheduled gigs.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by MX4Life
. Otherwise, just make a little hole in your blisters, and then wait a day or so, the skin dies and gets rock hard.

That's what I do. It works a treat and gives you hella hard fingers
Quote by jazz_rock_feel

That's such a true statement it's not funny. Especially when a string on an upright breaks. That hurts like a bitch.
bite the meat off your finger tips and play to the bone. either that or grow REALLY long finger nails and heat them enough so that you can curl them down over your finger tips and then file them a bit to get some grip for friction. or you could try what worked for me, which was keep playing and eventually the skin hardens so it wont hurt. you might get some deep shallow blisters once in a while but the occurance becomes more rare and your fingertips tougher. if it gets really bad for you, dont be afraid of taking a break and letting it heal, im sure itll work out eventually.
I've been playing bass for close to four years now (along with the occasional guitar goofing around) and I still don't have callouses. What gives!?
Quote by HorridxHopes
I've been playing bass for close to four years now (along with the occasional guitar goofing around) and I still don't have callouses. What gives!?

I've been playing four and a half years myself and I've only ever had 2 blisters and now a callus in sight and i can still play for hours with out any trouble.
suck it up, you pussies
Quote by SeveralSpecies
How the f*ck are you gonna get a cat to bark?

---------------------------5------8-----7-
----------------5-------------------------
------------------1-3-3-------/6----/5----
-1/3--1-1h3-------------------------------

Matt Freeman>You
does ANY1' know how to delete a {piece} of a post that was somehow left behind by the server, connected to an entirely different post ?  n' thnx___
Thou shalt not bump a ten year-old thread.  Closing said thread.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley