I just got a hold of bob dylans 1st album (1962), and all the vocals and harmonica are panned hard left, and the guitar is panned hard right on every track. The album may be pirated, so that may explain, but I was just wondering if someone screwed with it or if that's really the way dylan recorded every track. Some have intros panned center, but still...
I don't have my copy nearby to check, but it could just have been a very low quality recording.

Also, I this probably shouldn't be in the 'classic rock' forum. You know, considering how it isn't rock?
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
I'm not sure about the specifics but I think certain instruments or sounds are panned left and right in professional recordings.

On the same note I've never really understood why you 'need' a stereo mix, other than for what was said above and for the use of certain panning effects...
Better sound quality when played through two or more speakers: it sounds more 'live' and just generally nicer.
Quote by XxLloydxX
Quote by monkey_dancer
Better sound quality when played through two or more speakers: it sounds more 'live' and just generally nicer.

for sure.

and it's not rock? I always considered it folk rock/blues rock, what is it?
Quote by flashbandit
for sure.

and it's not rock? I always considered it folk rock/blues rock, what is it?

I'd say that its just folk, but I can sort of understand where you're coming from.
Quote by XxLloydxX
It might be your recording. I have never noticed anything funny on mine. I have a store bought sealed version so I know it is legit.

And we do talk about Dylan in the CR forums so it is ok.
Quote by Fallon, Jones & Sage Francis

"By the way my name is Marcus. But if you like you can call me Sensei."

American Idol - or as I call it, the Gong Show Rip-Off

According to #Yeezuz, Kanye West is a god. As if I needed more reasons to be an atheist.
It was probably just recorded like that, but because it was intended for mono consumption, they paid no attention to panning, in the exact same way as the beatles' early recordings when played in stereo were seriously f*cked up.

My guess is that one CD version didn't have the panning fixed, but a remaster obviously did.

In regards to the point of panning, music has various dimensions.

The range of frequencies create a field of height, the range of dynamics create a field of depth, and the range of panning creates a field of width.

If you take away the panning, you essentially have a 2d recording.

In the same way, if you take away a song's dynamic range, this also becomes a 2d recording.

This is my theory as to why modern music is so crap. Recordings are overcompressed in order to make the loudest possible pressing for a club, which destorys the dynamic range.

If you listen to "Rock and Roll Suicide" or "Kashmir" or "Wind Up" or any of those songs, their power lies in their dynamic range.

If you crank up quiet sections, you completely devalue the loud ones.

I've digressed, but that's my 2 cents