so let me get this straight.....if someones guitar and amp is good but the pickups are stock...DOES upgrading the pickups to higher quality ones make it sound even better????? If so, to what extent? Is it worth it for a tone freak?
Dancing In Your Dust
not always better. usually better, but sometimes just different

if you have a specific tone in mind, its usually worth it.
FOR SALE:

Wilkinson EZ lok Tuners - £15
Dunlop 535q Multiwah - £80

Offers/Trades anyone?
you have to know what kinda of pickups you have. for example, some Schecters come stock with Seymore Duncans, and most people are satisified with them

take the guitar to GC and talk to someone about it. thats the best i can do for ya witht he information given
My Gear:
Carvin DC400C
Schecter Damien Elite 7 string
Boss Metalzone
Laney GH120 Head
Rhino 4x12 Celestion
-OG-UG'ER-
Put this in your sig if you've been a member over half a decade!
ok thanks, do more up market ones usually give more colour to it....or do stock ones usually sound pretty flat and lifeless?
Dancing In Your Dust
Yes it makes a big difference (depending on what stock pickups are in).

Some people do it to get more gain or so. Some do it because they seek a different tone. I have high end Bareknuckle Mules and I love them, they are IMO the best pickups ever. I bought them because I was seeking the so called P.A.F. tone of the old Gibsons.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Depends what it is, alot of stock are adequate but quality ones will be better. Of course in a crap guitar, with crap amps and pedals.... It's a waste of money.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
yes i it helps alot if you buy the right pick ups shop very csrefully and try to play before you buy and look at your heroes if you want to sound similar to that use what they use but what you want to sound like is priority and in may personal experiance THYERE ARE MANY EXEPTOINS emgs and seymours tend to be mid heavy and gritty a fatter tone like metallica or lamb of god or trivium and dimatzios are a more scooped shreddy tone usually lots of treble and a really high output and really nasal like dragonforce or the trooch but it also depends on yopur amp settimgs and your fingers too but remember there are lots of exeptions good luck
Quote by STEALmyDOG
so let me get this straight.....if someones guitar and amp is good but the pickups are stock...DOES upgrading the pickups to higher quality ones make it sound even better????? If so, to what extent? Is it worth it for a tone freak?

It all depends on the tone you're looking for. If you already like your tone, new pickups may or may not be an improvement. Some stock pickups sound pretty good. I personally agree with Gabe, & love the old Gibson PAF tone, & luckily there's lots of different versions/copies of those available. You can check out the sound clips on the Seymour Duncan web site to evaluate different tones. I personally think it's worth playing around with different pickups, because I know how to wire them up professionally & can afford them. Whether it's worth it on a limited budget w/ limited soldering skills, I can't say.
Every guitar/amp combination responds best w/ a certain type of pickup, but if you're a true tone freak, start with a great amp that sounds good w/ almost any guitar.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by petrucci_owns_u
yes i it helps alot if you buy the right pick ups shop very csrefully and try to play before you buy and look at your heroes if you want to sound similar to that use what they use but what you want to sound like is priority and in may personal experiance THYERE ARE MANY EXEPTOINS emgs and seymours tend to be mid heavy and gritty a fatter tone like metallica or lamb of god or trivium and dimatzios are a more scooped shreddy tone usually lots of treble and a really high output and really nasal like dragonforce or the trooch but it also depends on yopur amp settimgs and your fingers too but remember there are lots of exeptions good luck

In all honesty there's nothing but exceptions as far as those rules go.

Dimarzios tend to have mid-spikes whereas Duncans tend to have flatter EQ curves.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
except the JB.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?