Hey

I was thinking of buying this...and the only problem is if i do im not sure how to monitor my sound while recording since I wouldnt have my amp speaker plugged in.

Ive heard a few dudes use these recording...and man they sound so good >.< i mean i know its down to the amp too...but i think myne sounds pretty amazing and would sound pretty awesome through this

So bassicly my question is whats the cheapest way to monitor my sound while the palmers hooked up?

I have a mic pre amp (m-audio DMP3) and converter soundcard and xlr cables. I already have a sm-57 but it lacks depth.

Ill just be able to afford a palmer...its on thomanns for £240 so christmas i guess...

Id have like £50 to spend on a mixer if that would be needed for monitoring?

I have studio monitoring headphones

Thanks for any help
I went the cheaper route with a PGA-09, since I already had a load box. I run direct into a cheap little mixer, and either monitor from there, or monitor from the recording device. Does your mic pre have a headphone monitor?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
I went the cheaper route with a PGA-09, since I already had a load box. I run direct into a cheap little mixer, and either monitor from there, or monitor from the recording device. Does your mic pre have a headphone monitor?

No unfourtunatley it doesnt

A load box? do you mean you need to have like a load on aswell as the palmer 09 but you dont have to with the palmer 03?

In that case i do have 2 speaker outputs on the back of my amp. would it be possible to use one for the speaker and one for the palmer 09? and what do you think about cheap behringer mixers for like £50 or so? worth it?
Quote by Sora 01
No unfourtunatley it doesnt

A load box? do you mean you need to have like a load on aswell as the palmer 09 but you dont have to with the palmer 03?

The 03 has an 8ohm load built in, so you don't need a speaker load. The 09 is just the filters from the 04, so you need to either have a cab hooked up, or an external load box. The 09 is only $165USD new however.

In that case i do have 2 speaker outputs on the back of my amp. would it be possible to use one for the speaker and one for the palmer 09?

well, even with the PDI 03/04, you can still have a speaker hooked up if you want. It has a thru jack for the speaker/cab. You can also use it without a speaker load too since it has it's own loadbox. I use mine for silent recording, that's why I have it setup that way with a loadbox instead of speaker cab. You could just use it with a regular cab and no load box however, it has the speaker thru jack too.

If you wanted to use the PDI03/04 on one jack, and a cab on the other, you would need another 8ohm cab to match the PDI03 8ohm speaker load. This would be 4ohm the head would see as a load. You wouldn't need to run it this way however, since like I said, it has a speaker thru jack for a cab.

and what do you think about cheap behringer mixers for like £50 or so? worth it?

I think they are fine for home recording. Some of the best clips I've heard were done using one of those. Corgan33 used to be on the forums a lot more, and that's what he used. He had some great recordings with it.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
The 03 has an 8ohm load built in, so you don't need a speaker load. The 09 is just the filters from the 04, so you need to either have a cab hooked up, or an external load box. The 09 is only $165USD new however.

well, even with the PDI 03/04, you can still have a speaker hooked up if you want. It has a thru jack for the speaker/cab. You can also use it without a speaker load too since it has it's own loadbox. I use mine for silent recording, that's why I have it setup that way with a loadbox instead of speaker cab. You could just use it with a regular cab and no load box however, it has the speaker thru jack too.

If you wanted to use the PDI03/04 on one jack, and a cab on the other, you would need another 8ohm cab to match the PDI03 8ohm speaker load. This would be 4ohm the head would see as a load. You wouldn't need to run it this way however, since like I said, it has a speaker thru jack for a cab.

I think they are fine for home recording. Some of the best clips I've heard were done using one of those. Corgan33 used to be on the forums a lot more, and that's what he used. He had some great recordings with it.

Kool thanks for all the help! My speaker in the jcm combo i have is 8 ohms anyway so with them both matched it should be fine either way I do it right?

The cheaper the better...i think id go for the 09 since over here its £88 online which is a big gap from the £250 p03

Also how would the connection go with the mixer in there too. Would it be like: Guitar-Amp-speaker and palmer-mixer(and monitors)-pre amp-converter soundcard?
Thanks, Erock503. I saw this thread, & thought "crap. I have one of those damn things & don't even use it for recording (or know how yet) I hope Erock503 sees this thread". I knew you'd have all the right answers!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by Sora 01
Kool thanks for all the help! My speaker in the jcm combo i have is 8 ohms anyway so with them both matched it should be fine either way I do it right?

yes, you would hook the external jack to the palmer, and then set the amp to 4ohm if both the internal speakers and palmer are being used. Just make sure that the internal speakers and the external speaker jack are wired in parallel. The 8ohm palmer is the exact same as using an external 8ohm cab.

The cheaper the better...i think id go for the 09 since over here its £88 online which is a big gap from the £250 p03

Also how would the connection go with the mixer in there too. Would it be like: Guitar-Amp-speaker and palmer-mixer(and monitors)-pre amp-converter soundcard?

it goes guitar -> amp -> palmer

thru jack from the palmer -> speaker cab
XLR out from the palmer -> mixer/mic pre

Keep in mind though, the PDI09 has no load, so you would have to use a speaker/cab with it. This rules out silent recording unless you have an external load box.

Quote by riffhog
Thanks, Erock503. I saw this thread, & thought "crap. I have one of those damn things & don't even use it for recording (or know how yet) I hope Erock503 sees this thread". I knew you'd have all the right answers!

haha, who are you kidding, you're the one that educated me on the Palmers.
amp clips
amp vids