Page 1 of 2
Hi all. I want get back into learning martial arts, but I don't know which one to choose.

A friend told me a while ago which one to learn, but I can't remember which he said. I'm a big guy, and he said it was better suited to bigger, more powerful people. I remember him saying something about ground grappling in it. I'm a big fan of joint locks, so a style that incorporates them would be interesting.

I did boxing for a while, and I've often been told that this is the best fighting style to learn... anyone know how valid this is?
What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet? I'll answer for you. NONE OF YOUR FUCKING BUSINESS.
- Bill Hicks
Haha, my friend once joined a club that specialized in a mix of karate and kickboxing which was pretty cool. Think he did grappling and things like that.
he probably meant Judo

Personally i like Karate, and Tai Chi is great for relaxing
pencak silat !!
I do it

kicking some asian ass well.. he won the fight tough

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

Tang su do is fun learn to gauge out peoples eyes
Ibanez RG1570
Randall RG75G3
EHX Metal Muff
muai thai, shoot fighting or tsu shin gen is my recomendations(shoot fighting and tsg are quite similar, and both are abouth 50/50 standing/grapling...and offcorse full contact training)
Danelectro '59 DC

Amplitube 3

Aaand my superlux headphones
Aikido is very effective it what they teach to the japaniese army as well as numarious other armed forces people, i did it for a year and as long as u pick up stuff quick u wont worry about another fight again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aikido

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn59zha-uAQ

Aikido is a practical martial art the others may look fancy and all, but untill you have been doing them for years they arnt effective, Aikido can be effective a lot quicker, although saying that i was taught by a 7th dan who had been doing Aikido longer than my dad had been alive(my dads 42) , so he was very good at it.

EDIT: in the videos you will see that the other person gets up after every attack this is bacause of the tori, the defender, knows exactly how to make the move harmless or by turning his hand a few degree the other way would dislocate two joints in one move, as you can see the tori would quickly run out of sapring partners if he did that.
Last edited by wozzsta at Nov 14, 2007,
Quote by andyscoot
he probably meant Judo

Personally i like Karate, and Tai Chi is great for relaxing

it wasn't judo.

There are schools near me that teach: karate, wing chung, chinese boxing, ryu goju, kickboxing and boxing.

EDIT: There are schools near me that teach: karate, wing chung, chinese boxing, ryu goju, kickboxing and boxing, so I'd likely be choosing between those.
What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet? I'll answer for you. NONE OF YOUR FUCKING BUSINESS.
- Bill Hicks
Last edited by MrAngryEyes at Nov 14, 2007,
im thinking kyokushin karate, its full contact--geroge st piere takes it
Quote by postmortem2006

Give him something he can appreciate.

Herpes maybe.
im thinking kyokushin karate, its full contact--gerofe st piere takes it
Quote by postmortem2006

Give him something he can appreciate.

Herpes maybe.
Quote by MrAngryEyes

chinese boxing, kickboxing .

+1 for kickboxing and +1 for chinese boxing just becaus i like to try it sometime
Danelectro '59 DC

Amplitube 3

Aaand my superlux headphones
Quote by MrAngryEyes
A friend told me a while ago which one to learn, but I can't remember which he said. I'm a big guy, and he said it was better suited to bigger, more powerful people. I remember him saying something about ground grappling in it. I'm a big fan of joint locks, so a style that incorporates them would be interesting.

you mean jiu-jitsu? you also can learn mix martial arts
Quote by Eladamri
Search Button-fu

It's awesome.

wow, you mean if i clicked the search button, i could find a thread that would answer my specific questions about which school to choose in my area, which martial art would be best for a bigger guy, or whether boxing is any good? that'd have to be some magic button!
- Bill Hicks
Last edited by MrAngryEyes at Nov 14, 2007,
I'm a big fan of Muay Thai, and Brazilian Jujitsu is always cool.
Quote by The Postman
Usually emos, have like twiggy legs you can snap in your hands...
Has anyone ever seen an obese emo?

Quote by cool#9
Whose fault is it you are a skinny worthless wimp, be a fat emo, problem solved.
Quote by MrAngryEyes
it wasn't judo.

There are schools near me that teach: karate, wing chung, chinese boxing, ryu goju, kickboxing and boxing.

EDIT: There are schools near me that teach: karate, wing chung, chinese boxing, ryu goju, kickboxing and boxing, so I'd likely be choosing between those.

Out of those i would suggest chinese boxing (reall chinese kickboxing just the term kickboxing wasnt around in past). I do chinese boxing (wu shu kwan) and its great for keeping fit and learning to fight. Good fun.
IMO it depends mostly on the school and how well its style of teaching appeals to you. No martial art is the best, and even if one is regarded as better than another, it won't be any good if you don't like the school that teaches it. Some schools offer a free trial lesson, or will let you watch a lesson before you sign up, so find out where you can do that. Try to find people who attend the schools and ask them what they like and don't like about it, not only the style but the instructors and whatnot.

The most important part of a martial art is learning it properly.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
martial arts not only build strengh and stamina, but also build self confidence and discipline. learning martial arts for a good reason may make you a hero, otherwise, you are a loser (bully)
yeah i do muay thai, brazilian jiu-jitsu, and have studied some jeet kune do. all of these are excellent choices. i choose to blend them (even though thats what JKD is) and just use whatever method is best for the situation. muay thai is pretty intense and BJJ is definitely fit for almost any fight you get into cause if the guy is to big for you to handle standing up, just take him to the ground and throw him in a choke or break his arm!
The stuff I did until this year (bleedin' exams :sad, was the shiz, mostly 'cos he just made it up as he went along
He'd make something up, send it to the Grand Master in America and if the guy liked it, it became an official thing we learned.
Otherwise we learned it anyway so we could hurt people
I'm so unique I don't even have a sig.
If what you want is sport, I recommend Taekwon Do.
If what you want is defence, I recommend Krav Maga.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by COB Deathscythe
yeah i do muay thai, brazilian jiu-jitsu, and have studied some jeet kune do. all of these are excellent choices. i choose to blend them (even though thats what JKD is) and just use whatever method is best for the situation. muay thai is pretty intense and BJJ is definitely fit for almost any fight you get into cause if the guy is to big for you to handle standing up, just take him to the ground and throw him in a choke or break his arm!

Damn I would like to learn JKD!
Too bad there aren't instructors for that in Argentina .
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

I pan on learning shaolin kung fu while in college
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Can someone explain what Ninjutsu is? Or what would happen if someone who knows nothing about fighting just went straight into it being taught by a fat guy in a small city?
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
Quote by urik

Krav Maga is a good choice. I take that and Gracie Jiu-Jitsu. They are good for defense in street fights (Krav comes from the Israeli military). Both get you into great physical shape as well.
Quote by ckellingc
puffycow, you rock

Quote by Krieg Commando
Puffycow, you've got mojo

touch me
I did Taekwondo for 8 years. I was a first dan, but I felt like I was still incapable of putting up a decent fight, both in a real-life situation and in a spar. Getting that first dan was just way too easy. All I had to do was memorise some words, grapplings, pumsaes (patterns/forms) and do a 2 minute spar with my trainingspartner. Apperently the spar was good enough to pass the exam, but it was just some amateurish prancing. I'm short and all skin and bone, but even then that 1st dan should count for something, but it doesn't

I was thinking about starting Hapkido, because of the reasons mentioned in here (efficiency), but I'm afraid I might injure my hands (which I need for teh guitar!).
Not only would it disrupt the fabric of time and space, but it would totally ruin the surprise!

tkd is very effective in self defence if you practice traditional itf tkd instead of wtf tkd that you see in the olympics.contrary to popular belief you can use your hands and there are joint locks etc in tkd

edit:id just like to say that i practice tkd in ireland.the standard of tkd is horrendous in america compared to the rest of the world,particularly because there arent as many traditional dojangs
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Last edited by Eggmond at Dec 7, 2007,
Quote by Eggmond
tkd is very effective in self defence if you practice traditional itf tkd instead of wtf tkd that you see in the olympics.contrary to popular belief you can use your hands and there are joint locks etc in tkd

edit:id just like to say that i practice tkd in ireland.the standard of tkd is horrendous in america compared to the rest of the world,particularly because there arent as many traditional dojangs

I am a green belt in ITF. It's very good for sports sparring. But I don't think that it's good for deffending yourself in a street fight.
I practice and love TKD because of how good sport it is. But for self deffence, I wouldn't recommend it.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

do Kickboxing
i did that for a while and it was awesome. i only quit coz i hated a lot of ppl in the class (always calling me emo and stuff) and i really didnt like the teacher
Gooby Pls.
I am a green belt in ITF. It's very good for sports sparring. But I don't think that it's good for deffending yourself in a street fight.
I practice and love TKD because of how good sport it is. But for self deffence, I wouldn't recommend it

i got my green belt tonight!!in ireland we do self defence seminars every once and a while so i hav a good idea of how to apply it properly
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
I got to blue belt (4th kup) in Tae Kwon Do, it's probably not much good as a self defense tool, but for sport, it's pretty good.
Quote by MrAngryEyes
Hi all. I want get back into learning martial arts, but I don't know which one to choose.

I did boxing for a while, and I've often been told that this is the best fighting style to learn... anyone know how valid this is?

He might of meant sambo.

Boxing is good, punches are the cornerstone of your striking arsenal. Unfortunately its quite limited. I would sooner sign up for kickboxing than regular boxing, classic boxers have the best hands but cant fight in a clinch, use elbows or kicks/knees.

Are you looking for a martial art to be used as self defense or are you looking for a sport?
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
Quote by Kailoq
I did Taekwondo for 8 years. I was a first dan, but I felt like I was still incapable of putting up a decent fight, both in a real-life situation and in a spar. Getting that first dan was just way too easy. All I had to do was memorise some words, grapplings, pumsaes (patterns/forms) and do a 2 minute spar with my trainingspartner. Apperently the spar was good enough to pass the exam, but it was just some amateurish prancing. I'm short and all skin and bone, but even then that 1st dan should count for something, but it doesn't

I was thinking about starting Hapkido, because of the reasons mentioned in here (efficiency), but I'm afraid I might injure my hands (which I need for teh guitar!).

Pshh
Our stuff used to be like that, but when he started making it up (as I already outlined), the 1st Dan (my grade) was:
6 mile run - it's 6 miles on a map, but its so hilly that if you do it in a car, the miles gauge increases by 8.
200 press-ups
200 sit-ups
All the patterns
All the pre-learned self defense things
200 press-ups
200 sit-ups
"On the spot" self defense ie. the other students grading are told to attack you in any way they want (3 of 'em) and you have to intuitively defeat them
5 minute full contact, no protective gear sparring
5 minute full contact, no protective gear sparring against two people
Another 200 press-ups
Another 200 sit-ups

It was pretty intense, took the 5 of us about 4-6 hours. (I'm not sure exactly).

I've had so many injuries from that class, not limited to dislocating my shoulder
I'm so unique I don't even have a sig.
Quote by purplegreendave
Pshh
Our stuff used to be like that, but when he started making it up (as I already outlined), the 1st Dan (my grade) was:
6 mile run - it's 6 miles on a map, but its so hilly that if you do it in a car, the miles gauge increases by 8.
200 press-ups
200 sit-ups
All the patterns
All the pre-learned self defense things
200 press-ups
200 sit-ups
"On the spot" self defense ie. the other students grading are told to attack you in any way they want (3 of 'em) and you have to intuitively defeat them
5 minute full contact, no protective gear sparring
5 minute full contact, no protective gear sparring against two people
Another 200 press-ups
Another 200 sit-ups

It was pretty intense, took the 5 of us about 4-6 hours. (I'm not sure exactly).

I've had so many injuries from that class, not limited to dislocating my shoulder

Sounds fun if you were probably trained for it (apart from the injuries)! It's just that I never got that "fighting awareness"-click, we didn't spar enough or train it to know what to do when, to predict your opponents move etc.
Not only would it disrupt the fabric of time and space, but it would totally ruin the surprise!
Page 1 of 2