We played our first gig the other night, very successful.

But one thing I was wonderin about was how to get a better mix, without mixing it through the pa?

We have two guitars, a bass and a PA. We put one guitar on each side of the drummer and the bass also to one side of the drummer, so its one guitar to one said with the other guitar and bass on the other side and PA in front. How can we set up so there isnt such a disparity the guitars?

Thanks
Umm, depending on the stage/room space/setup you can angle the amps a little. Do you just have 1 speaker for the pa? I'd definitely try to set everything up through the pa, but when we play those shows it always seems to go really well.

We usually set up guitar amp - drums - guitar amp - bass, lined up across the stage. If they have a pa the bass usually is DI'd (direct input). Just crank the amp level to match the pa and you should be fine. There isn't much else to it unless you try to mike the amps. It also sucks though sometimes, bc it's kinda hard for me to hear my lead guitarist without standing over by him certain parts of the song, which also may be good bc if I just hear myself, I can hear when I screw up more haha. Which makes me concentrate on my playing instead of being in the comfortable my-lead-is-loud-enough-to-cover-my-rhythm-mistakes.

I've never really tried setting the guitar amps right next to each other, I don't think it would be a good idea though, bc the sound will only be heading to one side of the audience. I dunno, depends on the size. Big place, mike the amps. Small place, turn them a little.
Well, I would say its a case of finding what works for you. Thats what i've found anyway, no matter where i'm told to put this amp and have this at this level etc etc, its what works for your sound. Gigging the first few times is a learning curve of many things, you have to figure out how you like your sound
Most people's ears can't really tell the direction that bass frequencies are coming from in a setting like that, especially people out in the room and not right in front of the stage. That's one reason there are fewer stereo bass amps than guitar, and why a lot of recordings don't put the bass in true stereo. It's also why it doesn't matter that you usually only have one subwoofer in a home theatre set up. There shouldn't be much disparity to the ears of the audience even if it seems that way up on stage.

I say don't worry about where the bass player stands, as long as he/she stands were he/she can hear the mix properly. If you have the bass turned up to a proper level, the bass should sound like it's coming from everywhere... or out of the very bowels of the earth itself .

I don't mind Jack's idea of alternating guitars with bass and drums, but remember that the bass player needs to hear the drummer properly more than anyone else. He has got to hear all the little things in the drumming, not just the beat like the guitarists, so having a loud guitar player between him and the drums might not be a good idea if the drums aren't miced and properly mixed to the monitors.

edit* if the mix seems too cluttered overall, or on the one side, it's probably because the bass player and one of the guitarists (rhythm--power chords--usually) are hitting the same frequency range, or getting pretty close. Try adujusting their eqs to create a greater difference in the eq ranges they emphasize. A lot of the time it's a frequency issue not a volume issue that makes the mix sound off... of course a lot of people turn everything up too loud and then can't mix properly anyway
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Nov 15, 2007,