You guys.. this hurts my head... (Kid arrested for stealing virtual furniture)

Quote by sashki
Reward for anyone who finds my lost faith in humanity

*goes spelunking*
Wolfie, Moley, Witty, Dgmey, Grundy
I wonder what they thought.....

"I've got an idea on what to do, let's go arrest some people for stealing...

FAKE FURNITURE!!"
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Lol, but they have a point. They were taking things other people had paid for.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by Dinkydaisy
Lol, but they have a point. They were taking things other people had paid for.

Paid for willingly too so technically habbohotel is making money fair and square
I still say whoever buys this stuff should be shot tho
they're out to get everyone.

i'm stealing your time right now.
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
The whole thing is bordering on the absurd. It makes you realise how ridiculous it is to spend money on those pixels AKA furni. Seemingly, many people do.

Edit - Sorry for my double topic. Genuine mistake, shouldn't have rushed into making it. The whole thing is pure gold, though.

Edit 2 - here is the article from the BBC's point of view if you are interested.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7094764.stm

Last edited by Jackolas at Nov 14, 2007,
Quote by Sol9989
they're out to get everyone.

i'm stealing your time right now.

And I'm stealing your RAM
weird, gizmodo.com is awesome tough.
Quote by dillonrips7

I like to pretend I'm Johnny Depp, and scissor away at my crotch.

Quote by _InsanitY_
holy **** awesome win right there

Quote by Shadowenspirit
/win!
it's still theft, however lolworthy the article makes it appear.

it is also ridiculous.
Member of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Last.fm
Quote by flambe chicken
it's still theft, however lolworthy the article makes it appear.

it is also ridiculous.

This is actually a sensitive topic.

Does the "virtual furniture" or "furni" belong to Habbo Hotel INC, or the person "buying" it? I'm not sure how clear that has been made by the company, but other site owners stress that characters, for example, created in games always belong to them even if you pay a subscription fee - even though they say it in gentle words, that is what they are saying.
Quote by Fishyesque
*goes spelunking*

You would.

As for Habbo...WTF? That's so stupid. Who would pay real money for an imaginary ****ing apartment?! I hate humanity and its overall stupidity! So i agree with the dude from before: anyone find my lost faith in humanity?
Quote by Briyan_15
I think this man has a reputation to defend and "poop head" is not in that reputation.

Quote by omegasus
RUSSELL! WHAT THE ****!!!!
Quote by Jackolas
The whole thing is bordering on the absurd. It makes you realise how ridiculous it is to spend money on those pixels AKA furni. Seemingly, many people do.

Edit - Sorry for my double topic. Genuine mistake, shouldn't have rushed into making it. The whole thing is pure gold, though.

Edit 2 - here is the article from the BBC's point of view if you are interested.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7094764.stm

Well, why does anyone spend money on virtual games or art? Why is World of Warcraft one of the most successful virtual business ventures?

I agree that it's a little lame to spend money on these kinds of things, but people do it.
I remember when I used to buy furniture in Habbo Hotel. I think a dangerously hard fall onto my head cured my problem though.
Does this mean im gonna get locked up for 'accidently' leaving my imaginary friend in a blender?
Quote by chinese_jazz
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.

Jaco Pastorius

E-A-G-L-E-S!!
Quote by the metal bassi
Does this mean im gonna get locked up for 'accidently' leaving my imaginary friend in a blender?

Depends really, did you turn the blender on?
I suspect that if it were to go to court, then they'll get busted for phishing and for unauthorised access rather than "virtual theft"
PLAY UP POMPEY

POMPEY PLAY UP!

this is ridiculous, but so is habbo at the end of the day.
lol at the people sad enough to pay for some pixels.
NOIZE
Owned!
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Well guys, I'm out. I'm gonna go steal myself some virtual kitchenware.
Quote by Fishyesque
Well guys, I'm out. I'm gonna go steal myself some virtual kitchenware.

Don't! This site is full of snitches!
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Well people paid for it, and he stole it.

It's kind of like stealing money.

Really, when you think about it, it's not much different from any other illegal phishing scam.

People steal your bank account information and transfer funds to themselves. These guys were just stealing stupid, useless virtual furniture, but it's still got (for some reason) some monetary value.

I don't really think they should be arrested because of what a stupid crime this is, but it's really not all that far-fetched.
Last edited by Inimical at Nov 14, 2007,
Quote by buckethead_jr
Depends really, did you turn the blender on?

Well, I may of done, what of it? It don't matter anyway, im happy I killed him! He took all the attention away from me
Quote by chinese_jazz
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.

Jaco Pastorius

E-A-G-L-E-S!!
Quote by End of that BBC report
Virtual theft is a growing issue in virtual worlds; in 2005 a Chinese gamer was stabbed to death in a row over a sword in a game.

Shanghai gamer Qiu Chengwei killed player Zhu Caoyuan when he discovered he had sold a "dragon sabre" he had been loaned.

*Blinks*
wow, gay, i dont care if you pay for something in a game, its your own fault for being stupid, thats like me going "i bought items for diablo off ebay and some1 stole my acount valued at 500$ i want them arrested" whatever, by the way, i found your faith in humanity, apparently it was up in goatse's ass

edit: also thievery should be apart of games, its apart of all games.... not to mention it makes it more "realistic"
Last edited by fender1618 at Nov 14, 2007,
i realize that the furniture isnt real, but someone did pay money for it.

stealing it causes that person to lose the money they invested. even if the person doesnt have a physical object, the virtual object technically has value. stealing it deserves punishment .

that being said, i find it ridiculous that someone would pay money for something like that.
LOL! WTF would people pay for virtual furniture? Why wouldn't the admins just replace their furniture (they should have account logs) and ban the kids who stole the furniture. Seems like they just wanted to make things more complicated than they really were. Or to get free publicity for their crappy site.