Ive been playing guitar for about 10 years (im almost 17) and have put my earlier years towards country, classical, and rocknroll. but lately (past year) Ive been getting into metal/punk/solo type things... for 1 year maybe 1 and a half, I just wanted to know if im what you guys call good, and keep in mind ive just started this type of music, so im kind a new to it all. here's a vid of me playing...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Bf9bWf894yE
dear god, i thought i had big hands...

EDIT: by the way you really need to get a different tone for that type of stuff...that is really hard on the ears
Member #3 of the Breaking Benjamin Fanclub PM Electric7 to join.
yes... I do have rather large hands, but it helps, lol I can get a clean stretch from fret 1 to fret 10 with a clean sound... on an acoustic... lol but anyways, yes I know I need a new tone, but again, im new to the electric, so I dont know everything about tweekin and stuff, so anyone? what would you recommend for a good tone? and how do you get different tones??? other then the obvious... tweekin your amp, are there any tricks or machines or anything that change the tone? and im serious, please dont laugh, im NEW to the electric.
funny you asked, lol I have 4 amps, I have a crappy typhoon, a mid range ibanez, and a 1300 dollar yorkville bass amp, I dont like the yorkville, and in the vid, I was using the $60 dollar typhoon (most portible) lol but I will probebly switch to the ibanez.
oh and the 4th amp is another yorkville... bass amp, so it doesnt quite give the sound that I want.
the reason I have alot of musical stuff is because my dad owns his own music store (afmusic.ca) he had his own oldtime country band and he doesnt like rock, he says its bad for the soul, lol so thats why I didnt get into rock up untill this point. I also have a nice gretsch guitar signed by chet atkins, its worth about 7K. but the guitar you see in the video is a st paul (gibson knockoff). so again, thats probebly why im not getting alot of tone from it.
well if you are doing tapping and solo stuff, you prolly wanna drop mids just a tiny bit, get bass in mid-high range and get treble high...if you have effects built into the amp use some reverb and a bit of delay...otherwise get a delay or echo pedal
Member #3 of the Breaking Benjamin Fanclub PM Electric7 to join.
thanks! and yeah, I do have effects built in on my ibanez amp. Thanks alot guys! anyone else have some thoughts on tone of the guitar?
oh and also, How do you get feedback on a guitar? I bring the electric right up to the amp to try and get it to humm, but nothing happens? how do you guys do it?
I dont think you show that 10 years of experience you say you have. It was alright at best, but it wasnt bad.
The Set Up
1- Bc.Rich Nj Series Best w/Emgs
2-Ibanez v-blade, custom snakeskin
3-Fender Stratocaster
4-1986 Charvel Model 5
///
MXR Phase 90
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Dunlop crybaby original
if you actually read my post you would know that I have only been playing electric guitar for a year and a half tops! before that it was all classical and stuff, and let me tell you, I could kick your ass in a classical duo! so dont go telling me I dont have experience! learn to read next time, and I can almost gurentee you that you wernt playing at that level (in the video) at a year and a half.
When I had been playing (electric) for less than a year and a half for I could play better than that, but it's NOT ABOUT THAT. please keep that in mind.

Having said that, it's pretty good.
Watch your tone, it's a bit too crunchy, I reckon it would sound better if you smoothened it out. Umm...few bits where your picking was kinda sloppy, but your huge hands are gonna do you huge favours reaching notes man, haha ^_^.

Keep going, this is a good start.
Last edited by Mazzakazza at Nov 15, 2007,
^^ now you're just getting cocky
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by anoldfrENd
yes... I do have rather large hands, but it helps, lol I can get a clean stretch from fret 1 to fret 10 with a clean sound... on an acoustic... lol but anyways, yes I know I need a new tone, but again, im new to the electric, so I dont know everything about tweekin and stuff, so anyone? what would you recommend for a good tone? and how do you get different tones??? other then the obvious... tweekin your amp, are there any tricks or machines or anything that change the tone? and im serious, please dont laugh, im NEW to the electric.

HOLY ****!!!

*trys*

1 - 6

Phail...

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

could have been for both of us, lol but I was just saying that thats not BAD for a year and a half, its not like playing classical gave me a head start or anything, because its sooooo much different then electric, the movement and timing, EVERYTHING is different, so when he says that 10 years doesnt do me justice, I was just pointing out how he was wrong, lol he hasnt even heard me play classical, so how can he judge? and now im on a hunt for a new tone, lol
my hands do me BIG favours (with guitar playing) lol but sometimes they get in the way, especialy when I was learning how to hold a pick, lol classical is my place, but I want to play like vai, hendrix, and others soooo bad! I really enjoy that kinda "classic" music. (I think we all do, lol)