Hey guys, my friend is the drummer in my high school's jazz band. I really like jazz and want to try out. The thing is, I'm not the best at reading chords yet and I dont want to make a fool of myself. I'm sure I can physically play the stuff they have the guitarists play in the band, but I just am not up to par with the reading as of yet. One of the music teachers at my school told me to just sit in on their practice tonight and check it out, which I think i'm going to do. I take private lessons and my teacher can teach me how to learn the chords and whatnot, basically its just the chord names and you kindof improvise the rythm. Am I getting in over my head, or is this a worthwhile thing to persue? Oh and PS. I used to play the viola in my schools orchestra for 6 years, so this isn't my first time doing this type of thing and I know all of the general music terms that they will probably throw at me.
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
High School

If I'm not mistaken, isn't that the time of our lives when jazz fans are the most pretentious?

I personally wouldn't deal with it, but eh, I'm a vocalist.
Quote by xkeyboardxmoshx
High School

If I'm not mistaken, isn't that the time of our lives when jazz fans are the most pretentious?

I personally wouldn't deal with it, but eh, I'm a vocalist.

I just figured it would be a cool thing to try, and I listened to some of the songs they perform and it sounds pretty good. These kids aren't necessarily "jazz fans", they are just some of the band / orchestra players that wanted to try something new i guess.
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Hey dude go for it:
1. its an excuse to play guitar at school.
2. its good to practice different genres and so forth
3. jazz is wicked cool!
4. a good way to get exposure to other people as a guitarist
5. possible scholarship oppurtunity in the future if you continue through it (thats how my best friend got his scholarship full paid)
With fat friends there are no see-saws.. just catapults!
I was in Jazz band in middle school. DO IT. You learn so much and everyone's all about the feeling and love for music. You go in to learn so I'm sure the teacher will understand if you tell them that you still have some learning to do when it comes to the technical aspects of music.
thanks for the input guys, i think im going to go for it
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by SoccerRM1
thanks for the input guys, i think im going to go for it
thats the spirit!

now for my turn...
私の名前はアジリョです

Quote by MarshmallowPies
I snapped my high E once and sliced my finger open, so I can only assume snapping the low E would put me into a coma or something.
play!!!! you wont regret it and it cant make you any worse
R.I.P. Casey Calvert
Call me Kevin
I'm in my high school's Jazz Ensemble which would be very difficult for anyone that doesn't know jazz or music theory to be in. I can't just memorize a chord shape for a particular chord, I have to know what notes are in the chord and what notes I can be playing on the fret board that will best suit the tune I'm playing. I also have to sight read some pretty tricky bop lines and be able to solo over complicated progressions with lots of altered notes. My school has a very good music program, but yours might be not as demanding. You should look at the charts you would have to play and see if you can work anything out. Even if you have no idea what to play, a good teacher can guide you through, but you would have to put in a lol of practice time and take it seriously.
12 fret fury
I love my high school jazz band...we just started playing Birdland by the Weather Report this week. I get to attempt to be Jaco, which definitely will not work out very well Yeah, if you're going to play jazz guitar, all you have to do is learn 7th chords and comping. The Bflat blues scale is your best friend. Definitely go for it.
Quote by Xodah
Marry me.

Quote by ..NEM..
Awesome nickname, awesome sentence under the nickname and awesome avatar. Awesome opinion too. And awesome quote. I like you.
Quote by Punk Poser
I'm in my high school's Jazz Ensemble which would be very difficult for anyone that doesn't know jazz or music theory to be in. I can't just memorize a chord shape for a particular chord, I have to know what notes are in the chord and what notes I can be playing on the fret board that will best suit the tune I'm playing. I also have to sight read some pretty tricky bop lines and be able to solo over complicated progressions with lots of altered notes. My school has a very good music program, but yours might be not as demanding. You should look at the charts you would have to play and see if you can work anything out. Even if you have no idea what to play, a good teacher can guide you through, but you would have to put in a lol of practice time and take it seriously.

Excuse me, I havent heard anything over the sounds of bragging about simple things.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
High School jazz bands are all jokes. If it's a class you'll basically have a free hour.
Quote by Zycho
High School jazz bands are all jokes. If it's a class you'll basically have a free hour.

Nah, its not a class, its an after school type deal.
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by SoccerRM1
Nah, its not a class, its an after school type deal.

I'd still do it, it'll be easy and a chance to play in a concert setting.
The jazz band at my school is also the pep band for our basketball games. We're playing Trogdor and For Whom the Bell Tolls.

\m/

But the class in general is pretty easy. The other guitar player just plays major/power chords (neither of which is a good idea) and if I don't know a chord, the director just lets me play a 7th type chord. For solos, I just stay in the major scale/mode, or minor pentatonic, whichever applies.
Quote by terryguitar
GROW UP WE DONT NEED 2 CHEAT WHEN OUR KIDS ARE BEAUTIFUL

Quote by blynd_snyper
Ummm, petrol? Nip down to your local petrol station, buy a litre of the stuff and soak your balls in it, light them up and start playing with them.