how experienced do you think you have to be to play in a band, how long till you first joined a band?
well ive been playing for 9 months and i started a band after 3 or 4 months of playing.
my first band 3 months failed
second about 8-9 left
now (1 year) culture of violence

www.myspace.com/cultureofviolence1

hopefully it works out

but id say whenever you think your ready

EDIT:i would reccomend joining an existing band over starting your own its a little less work

starting from scratch can take forever
Quote by Kensai
Girls don't have to do anything to be good in bed. If she's got a pulse she's automatically an 8.

Last edited by aeon20k at Nov 14, 2007,
My friends and I started our first band BEFORE we knew how to play. It was interesting, but we all learned together and we at least sound halfway decent.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
i think you should start aband asap unless you visibly suck jaming with other gets your songwriting chops up
I started my first band after 1 month of playing and now that one has broken up and I'm in another one that's ready to gig we just can't find any Punk/Emo accepting venues around here!
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
basically dont worry about starting a band yet. just jam with lots and lots of different people. Eventually you will "click" with a certain group of people and your band will come together"
Well, definitely start jamming with people as soon as you can keep time and hold down a decent chord progression. But how good you have to be depends on what you want to play. For a punk or mainstream rock band, if you're not doing leads, a talented guitarist could probably be good enough after playing for a few months, but it might take someone else years. For blues, metal, or pretty much anything else, you'll want at least a year under your belt, more if you're going to be playing tricky leads.

But don't worry about forming a serious band and "making it until you've been playing at least two years and know that you really do want to get serious about music.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
Quote by Missingno476
Well, definitely start jamming with people as soon as you can keep time and hold down a decent chord progression. But how good you have to be depends on what you want to play. For a punk or mainstream rock band, if you're not doing leads, a talented guitarist could probably be good enough after playing for a few months, but it might take someone else years. For blues, metal, or pretty much anything else, you'll want at least a year under your belt, more if you're going to be playing tricky leads.

But don't worry about forming a serious band and "making it until you've been playing at least two years and know that you really do want to get serious about music.

+1

My thoughts exactly
R.I.P. Turner Blaine
I played guitar for about a year and a half before joining my band at present, The Standard Issue :

www.myspace.com/hearstandardissue

The band has been together for about 4 years, and I hopped on the train about halfway in. I'm a QUICK learner and I play guitar better than the previous rhythm guitarist who had been playing for 7 years . Not to mention I've taken over managing, booking and promoting also
Well, I've been playing/learning seriously since the summer, and a friend and myself are already trying to get a band formed (granted, we still need a bassist, but still.....). I'm not planning on actually preforming until some time next year, though.......don't have the skill level for that yet.....
As soon as I had my bass I was jamming and learning off a guitarist I trusted at the time. I've found that the more I play with other people, the better I get...and I try and play with asmany local guitarists and drummers that I admire as possible.

I reccomend to just get in a band or jam when you feel that you are ready to, it only helps your ability and more-so your confidence in my opinion!
There's no specific time that is good, and besides being in a band will improve your playing tremendously.
it depends on how fast you learn...im in a band and im now going on my 11th month of playing...i suggest learning sweep picking, chord progression and tapping b4 doing n e thing with n e body else...personally just make sure u get along with the ppl in ur band...i dont and because of that we aren't exactly the best band ever...try it out if it doesn't work get better and try again
Quote by jarthur123
basically dont worry about starting a band yet. just jam with lots and lots of different people. Eventually you will "click" with a certain group of people and your band will come together"

now that is good advice - sigging it
If you joining a serouis band, like your made your own music and sh#t, 5 months at least, but if you want to be expierenced then maybe an year or something around then.
My cancer spot is much bigger than yours

Quote by HumBucker666
I get carrot skinned regularly by a electrified carrot skinning device

Quote by GrEgUms1991
I have a small penis if that counts?

^ some pretty awesome sh!t ( click )

Europeans Unite!
Quote by xxZacGxx
it depends on how fast you learn...im in a band and im now going on my 11th month of playing...i suggest learning sweep picking, chord progression and tapping b4 doing n e thing with n e body else...personally just make sure u get along with the ppl in ur band...i dont and because of that we aren't exactly the best band ever...try it out if it doesn't work get better and try again

Chord progressions, yes, but sweeping and tapping aren't essential skills. I couldn't sweep if my life depended on it, but I'm still in a band.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
When you can hold down a progression and keep time.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
You "should" just begin with a coverband when you feel you can play some songs and get some stage-experience...
After a couple of weeks/months you'll get better and write own stuff (don't force it! just let it happen... it WILL come one day )

You're learning much and much more while playing in a band then sitting alone in your room!
So start whenever you like but don't wait to long!:P
I started my first band after 6 months. Granted, we didn't really get much done, and we only just recently fell apart because our vocalist moved.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
I jam with friends when I can and we are trying to do a project, but we never find the time. I have been playing for about 1 yr. and 6 months and I think that I could be in a band if i wanted, but I think I will just jam with friends for now.
I suggest that, depending on your specific style and experience, you should start a band with people of your same levels so you all can learn from each other equally and be better because of it.
My Rig:
Amp:Randall RG75DG3 75 watt
Guitar: Maroon Fender Stratocaster, Mexican made
Pedal: GCB-95F Classic Wah Pedal
Pedal: Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
Pedal: DOD VFX66 Flashback Fuzz Pedal
Pedal: Digitech rp300r Multi-Effects Pedal
im 18
i have been playing guitar for about 7 years off and on, three good solid years, and i am still not comfortable playing in front of people, i joined a band about 3-4 months ago, we have just been playing covers, we just got the tears dont fall acoustic version down, but when ever i play in front of anyone i always think im gonna mess up, and it doesnt alway happen but sometimes, i know i can play well enough to be the band, i guess its just a mental thing, if you think you are ready to play in a band then you will be.
Well, I'm a bassist who likes Punk Rock. For me, I thought it was a good time to join a band when i had a few month's experience under my belt and felt I'd be able to play most Punk songs. So I guess it all depends on the genre you like...when YOU feel comfortable in YOUR genre, then it's time to join a band