Ok, keep it short and simple..

My bass needs new strings

A set of bass stings ( medium gauge) 40 60 80 100 = £10

Or a set of strings ( says medium gauge again ) 45 65 85 105 = £10

My current set of stings are 40 60 80 100.. Just wondering would the 45 ones sound better? deeper? anything?

Thanks,
The 45-105 strings will have more tension and I've found sound a bit more full, to me lighter gauges sound weaker but that may be just me.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Buy whichever one says "Rotosound" on them!
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Don't buy any Rotosound ones.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
They are both rotosound :P:

There is also a set of ernie ball slinky bass strings for £15... ( 45 65 85 105)
What strings do you have on at the moment? What sort of music do you play? What kind of tone do you want?

These are all questions, the answers of which make a large difference to the strings you buy.

I personally hate Rotosounds, but that's just me. They feel sticky, and have a crap tone. BUt that's just me, and maybe the bass they were on.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
My bass is a stagg BC300 bass not the best ever like lol

Current strings are 40 60 80 100 and im ususally playing punk/rock kinda stuff

Tone isnt that improtiant at the min, Ive been playing around with different tones but i get this horrible buzzing ( electrical ) noise... from looking at other posts about it i think its a grounding problem ( ) Ill deal with it at a later stage

But back to the topic...
/\ bah, ive used 50's and gotten good slap action, i never saw what guage had to do with slapping, all technique imo. same with tap, and actually, if you have a larger guage, wouldn't you thereby have a larger target area? that might just be me, my tapping technique looks like i karate chop the thing.........

if your asking us what strings, i assume your relatively new, so my advice is try the ones your not familiar with so you'll have some preferance when you go back to the store for more strings in a few months.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
try 'em out out one at a time, strings are mostly a matter of preference, there are def. different properties to each string brand/gauge, but for the most part it will be difficult to tell what you like unless you've heard and felt how multiple types play, and sound on your bass