Hey guys. I play alot of Death metal like Nile, Behemoth, Cannibal Corpse, Cryptopsy....etc, but i can never get that insanely heavy tone. I have a bc rich nj series beast with emg 81s so my guitar is well suited for metal, what amp/pedal/processor would you guys recommend for the tone im looking for. And Yes i already tune down, but i need more definition and heaviness.

Thanks.

EDIT; Im in no position to afford stacks of any kind. under 500 dollars only
The Set Up
1- Bc.Rich Nj Series Best w/Emgs
2-Ibanez v-blade, custom snakeskin
3-Fender Stratocaster
4-1986 Charvel Model 5
///
MXR Phase 90
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Dunlop crybaby original
Last edited by The__Chill at Nov 14, 2007,
Getting a better amp than that Marshall AVT which isn't a good amp by any means, and selling some of those pedals, starting with the Metal Zone.

Most of those bands use the distortion built in to their amps as the main sound, and then use Overdrive pedals *better sounding for valve amps usually* to give a boost for lead guitar work etc, or for a bit more gain/distortion.

I would suggest Krank's valve amps, Mesa, Peavey but only the 5150 model, basically any respected high gain valve amp.
Save up and buy a quality half stack or combo. IMO, you really won't get a GREAT brutal sound with a distortion pedal or a modeling amp or anything.
It's GANDHI not GHANDI

Quote by lewymcgee
oh yea, stanleybach, what are u like the forum ass hole, stop tryin to ruin all the fun u dick head

Quote by webbtje
Stanleybach fucked a tree. My perversion is nothing.
Quote by last_biscuit
Getting a better amp than that Marshall AVT which isn't a good amp by any means, and selling some of those pedals, starting with the Metal Zone.

Most of those bands use the distortion built in to their amps as the main sound, and then use Overdrive pedals *better sounding for valve amps usually* to give a boost for lead guitar work etc, or for a bit more gain/distortion.

I would suggest Krank's valve amps, Mesa, Peavey but only the 5150 model, basically any respected high gain valve amp.

Buy like the Digitech death metal pedal or a better amp dude,a Krank will do.
Last edited by Cannibalwolf at Nov 14, 2007,
Haha I forgot to mention the 5150 even though I was simultaneously looking at one with intent to purchase for the same purpose :P
ohai little sig.
yeah if you want the best metal tone(what you're looking for) you have to look at the best amps...the cheapest of the awesome metal amps would probably be a used 5150II combo...the thing is, you're not getting it for under 500....save up, it would be better than buying now and then having to buy yet another one later....for a good example of the 5150II tone, listen to the machine head blackening album....i dont know if they use that or not but I had one and it sounds very similar.
Quote by sowhat360
yeah if you want the best metal tone(what you're looking for) you have to look at the best amps...the cheapest of the awesome metal amps would probably be a used 5150II combo...the thing is, you're not getting it for under 500....save up, it would be better than buying now and then having to buy yet another one later....for a good example of the 5150II tone, listen to the machine head blackening album....i dont know if they use that or not but I had one and it sounds very similar.

Not sure about that album, but MachineHead definitely HAVE used that amp, live anyway. Not sure if you'd look down on it etc, but one of Bullet For My Valentine, the singer one I think, useda 5150 on a video I was shown of them on some American chat show, so I assume he uses them too.

To TS: Do save up though, it really is worth it. I paid my dues and got by with a crappy Line 6 Spider 2 212 for a long, long time. And then finally...bought a Hughes & Kettner Switchblade half stack...best gear purchase of my life
i don't know about specific amps but most well known amp makes accept the a lot of the marshalls can get you a good heavy sound but with different amps it can vary from crunchy to fuzzy
and once youve got ur amp have it full gain (some amps dont sound good like that though but most will) and eq settings: Mid - 2-4 Bass - 9 Treble - 5+ depending on how crunchy/fuzzy or whatever it is

hope that helps a bit...

"Ein Herz von flimmernden Hirngespinsten,
Ohne Halt und ohne Boden.
Feuer des Winters,
Herr der Träume,
Vater aller Türen: Öffne!"
Paysage d'Hiver - Ich schreite
Get a Krank combo
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
Quote by Jonny92
i don't know about specific amps but most well known amp makes accept the a lot of the marshalls can get you a good heavy sound but with different amps it can vary from crunchy to fuzzy
and once youve got ur amp have it full gain (some amps dont sound good like that though but most will) and eq settings: Mid - 2-4 Bass - 9 Treble - 5+ depending on how crunchy/fuzzy or whatever it is

hope that helps a bit...

If you set your amp up like that, you will not cut through the mix and will not be heard.

Basically you'd be falling into the trap of many amateur modern metal bands, and all that would be heard offstage is extra low end from the PA, and a waplike distorted noise with very little clarity.

Use more mids, in a live set up more mids = more clarity. ESPECIALLY if you have harmonies/dual lead

Also, Marshall are actually pretty crap to be honest. Most of their amps are too trebley-biased, and they sound very generic. And you can't say one brand of amps has a better distortion (other than "Krank has more distortion than Fender" which is down to the style of the amp), as it is the model of amp rather than it's branding that count.
GET A SPIDER!!! FTW YO!

But really. Look for a used 5150. Should be able to find one in the $500 range on ebay.

Or you could go the Vox AD100VT-XL route.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by Cannibalwolf

Buy like the Digitech death metal pedal and along with a better amp dude,a Krank will do.

Why would you want to do that? A Krank will have it's own distortion and won't need some crappy distortion pedal.
It's GANDHI not GHANDI

Quote by lewymcgee
oh yea, stanleybach, what are u like the forum ass hole, stop tryin to ruin all the fun u dick head

Quote by webbtje
The problem (hate to say it) may be the EMG's?

I've heard they rob your tone. I use a Seymour/Duncan on a Washburn Dime sig. That's got a good sound.

I wouldn't dare put an EMG on that, but then it's 30 lbs of solid mahogany. Wood counts for a lot.

Also compression. More compression means more brutal, more defined tone, but comp can get too much really quickly. It sort of falls off a cliff:

Good - good - good - good - HORRIBLE!!!

Find horrible and turn it down a hair.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Last edited by Bubonic Chronic at Nov 14, 2007,
Quote by Bubonic Chronic

I've heard they rob your tone. I use a Seymour/Duncan on a Washburn Dime sig. That's got a good sound.

I wouldn't dare put an EMG on that, but then it's 30 lbs of solid mahogany. Wood counts for a lot.

I'm not really a fan of any active pickups but EMG's are good for what the threadstarter is after. The only instance that is generally agreed where they muck up your sound is for cleans.

If you don't use the clean channel of an amp very often, then it isn't going to be a bad thing having EMG's on it. I mean, depending on the model of EMG's, you can do a hell of a lot worse for metal lol.

Edit: However what you've since added about good compression IS a very good point. Compression will help you get more clarity as you won't have as many sudden drops in volume for different parts of the neck/strings.
Quote by Bubonic Chronic

I would think the EMGs would be excellent for the type of music he's trying to play. They have a very high output, and he's going for a brutal sound so I really don't think they're the problem.
It's GANDHI not GHANDI

Quote by lewymcgee

Quote by webbtje
Quote by Bubonic Chronic

A quick look at his sig, and at my own personal experience with EMG's (my Viper 400 has an 81/85 set), I must disagree. Those AVT's are bad news. And with all those pedals... bleh. He's just asking for bad tone. EMG's are awesome for metal. And I know it's coming... "but mafropetee, you have a Spider. I'm not gonna listen to you about tone." Yeah. It was a mistake that I made a few years ago, but trust me, the relationship is very strained. Right now I'm saving up for that Vox that I mentioned earlier. It's an awesome amp. But don't let my Spider know... it might walk out on me before I have a chance to destroy it.
Thing is im a teenager and, my situation in life prevents me from buying a stack or an expensive amp. I make no money as im too young to get a job so it has to be reasonably priced, and i still live with my parents who are against the idea of me having a guitar in the first place let alone a giant stack in my room...and im also saving up for a new ibanez xiphos so saving up more for an amp will be a problem

EDIT;;^^^ I only use a single pedal at a time usually with a wah, never all at once. And i no longer have that marshall as i just moved and sold it, so i need a BRAND NEW amp.
The Set Up
3-Fender Stratocaster
4-1986 Charvel Model 5
///
MXR Phase 90
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Dunlop crybaby original
Last edited by The__Chill at Nov 14, 2007,
Quote by mafropetee
A quick look at his sig, and at my own personal experience with EMG's (my Viper 400 has an 81/85 set), I must disagree. Those AVT's are bad news. And with all those pedals... bleh. He's just asking for bad tone. EMG's are awesome for metal. And I know it's coming... "but mafropetee, you have a Spider. I'm not gonna listen to you about tone." Yeah. It was a mistake that I made a few years ago, but trust me, the relationship is very strained. Right now I'm saving up for that Vox that I mentioned earlier. It's an awesome amp. But don't let my Spider know... it might walk out on me before I have a chance to destroy it.

Haha I actually agree with you, don't worry.

Besides, I used to have a Line 6 Spider II 212 also...it was the amp you fall in love with as a 'less-experienced player'...or someone with no ears...and then gradually it dawns on you the amp managed to deceive you and it actually sounds like ass above bedroom-practise volume.

Then I upgraded to a Hughes & Kettner Switchblade halfstack
Threadstarter: at the end of the day, you won't get a GREAT metal sound without a good amp. I suppose your best bet would be to buy a small valve combo if you can afford a few hundred dollars, and use one of your many pedals to drive the valves.
Well then perhaps a Vox AD50VT-XL or AD30VT-XL would be the choice for you. Then put what's left into that Xiphos.

It's a shame when a parent is against something like the guitar. You would think parents would want their kids to express themselves and be creative and have something more in their life than useless math that nobody uses or the awareness of an insignificant book written by an insignificant person at an insignificant point in time.
Crank it to 11....
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
you could get a used 5150 combo for under 500 used, which would probably be better than any half stack for 500. you might be able to get a 5150 head for 500 which is pretty rare but then youd have to go out of your price range for the cab
Quote by The__Chill
Thing is im a teenager and, my situation in life prevents me from buying a stack or an expensive amp. I make no money as im too young to get a job so it has to be reasonably priced, and i still live with my parents who are against the idea of me having a guitar in the first place let alone a giant stack in my room...and im also saving up for a new ibanez xiphos so saving up more for an amp will be a problem

EDIT;;^^^ I only use a single pedal at a time usually with a wah, never all at once. And i no longer have that marshall as i just moved and sold it, so i need a BRAND NEW amp.

Trust me, the Xiphos can wait. If you don't get a good amp now the Xiphos is just gonna sound like ass too.

Sell the Metal Zone and the Dime dist and put the money from those plus the money you've got saved already towards a 5150 combo. Nothing will make as great a change in your tone as a different amp.
Quote by stanleybach
Why would you want to do that? A Krank will have it's own distortion and won't need some crappy distortion pedal.

true.. My mistake
I use a digitech hothead, and a behringer bx600 bass amp. just crank the lows and the gain. Its an insanely cheap set up, and i also use an epi LP jr.
Thing is, 5150 is a great amp but i dont think it has the sound im looking for or the gain, i need something so heavy that playing the low e string shakes the entire room with brutality.
The Set Up
3-Fender Stratocaster
4-1986 Charvel Model 5
///
MXR Phase 90
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Dunlop crybaby original
What are everyone's opinions on the Peavey XXX? I've never had the oppurtunity to try a 5150, and I'm wondering how it compares.
I AM MASTER OF JIGGLYPUFF.

Current Gear:
Gibson Boneyard with Bigsby
Gibson 93' Explorer W/Nailbombs
G&L 93' Legacy W/Noiseless
Gibson 95' Doublecut W/Angus Bridge

Mesa Stiletto Trident
Bogner Shiva
Mesa 2x12 & 4x12 Cabs
How do you guys here crank up your valve amps?Even playing with my 10 watt SS,I turn it to volume 2.5.Don't your neighbours complain?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Just stay on the lookout for a decent floor processor. I have a Traynor YCV80 tube amp and I picked up a Rocktron Utopia effects processor just to fool around with, now, I am going to play live with it. As long as you get yourself a decent power section,(hence the Traynor), the "metal" tone you are looking for is going to be easy.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
Quote by Jonny92

hope that helps a bit...

NO! Bad! Do not scoop your ****ing mids people!!! Smily EQ's ARE NOT BR00TAL!

Can I be another to advice saving for a 5150, and a attenuator, then just turning everything to ten, and tuning your guitar low with very thick strings?

Note: An attenuator does something, im not exactly sure what, to the output of the amp so you can crank it, but it doesnt come out nearly asloud. Its like taking your 50 watt stack and turning it into a 5 watt without losing anything
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by The__Chill
Thing is, 5150 is a great amp but i dont think it has the sound im looking for or the gain, i need something so heavy that playing the low e string shakes the entire room with brutality.

the 5150 has more than enough gain for anyone ever. To be well and truly honest it would be exactly what your looking for.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13