In a few months I was thinking about getting a new guitar, and by then I feel I would be able to spend €1000 - $1,500 on a Stratocaster. I know this wont be for a while but I'm leaving UG and I want this last bit of advice before I go.

At the moment I have an MIM Telecaster and while I love it I've just always regretted not choosing a Strat. At the moment I just find my black Tele boring and I'd love a Strat for the comfort, tremolo and its overall feel.

I'll be playing into a Blues Junior w/pedals and I mostly play Hendrix, SRV, Chili Peppers, Albert King and Buddy Guy.

Suggest any good Strat you want, just a max of €1,000/$1,500. I'd prefer to go used and maybe even a good Tokai if I can find one.

Don't steal, don't lift
Twenty years of schoolin'
And they put you on the day shift
Standard American SSS, you can't go wrong, man.
"Strangers passing in the street, by chance two separate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
^Maybe, but I've heard you can get better value for money.

Take 80's MIJ for example, are they better and cheaper than a Standard MIA?

Don't steal, don't lift
probably...

you can pick up second hand tokai strats for about £250-£300 (what's that, about 400-450 euro) in northern ireland, as long as you don't mind a vintage-feeling and -playing strat, they're very nice...

alternatively, blades are pretty nice. around £350-£450. or edwards (haven't tried their fender copies, though), but you'd have to order those from japan. Gordon smiths are nice too.

really up to you, to be honest- how badly do you want it to say fender, are you willing to go second-hand or order from abroad (without trying), etc.?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
probably...

you can pick up second hand tokai strats for about £250-£300 (what's that, about 400-450 euro) in northern ireland, as long as you don't mind a vintage-feeling and -playing strat, they're very nice...

alternatively, blades are pretty nice. around £350-£450. or edwards (haven't tried their fender copies, though), but you'd have to order those from japan. Gordon smiths are nice too.

really up to you, to be honest- how badly do you want it to say fender, are you willing to go second-hand or order from abroad (without trying), etc.?

Aw damn it

I got my Tele of GAK, but if I'm willing to dish out a bit more money I'd like to try it out first. Then again I doubt I'd be able to.

What would these Strat copies compare to, around an MIJ?

I'd prefer to go second hand actually, and I'd be perfectly happy with buying off eBay.

Don't steal, don't lift
Im not sure price-wise, but the Classic Players 50s is a superb strat, best bang for buck. My girlfriend's dad got one and prefered it so much over his MIA that he sold the MIA.
^Yeah I was looking at the one in your profile, 'tis damn shexy!

Whats the neck like?

Can anybody tell me about the Highway 1 Strats?

Don't steal, don't lift
Last edited by Defunkt at Nov 15, 2007,
I like Highway 1 Strats, thin nitro finish, nice neck, generally a very solid-feeling guitar for the price, comparable with many full-blown USA Strats I've played.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Quote by Grundy0
Do you have any idea what your talking about? Because i can't understand half of what your saying and i think you are possibly clinically insane
Welcome to The Pit.

^
Quote by Defunkt
^Yeah I was looking at the one in your profile, 'tis damn shexy!

Whats the neck like?

Can anybody tell me about the Highway 1 Strats?

The neck is widely agreed to be one of the most comfortable necks ever, soft V is great IMO, but I can understand how some people may not like it as much as a normal C, so you should definatly try before you buy. But, as most people in the strat lovers thread say, its one of the most comfortable strats there is.

HW1 strats are reasonable for the price, but I've never known if there is a big difference between the hw1 and a MIM (apart from the nitro paint)

HakEdit: And thanks for the compliment, I think its a sexy start too, 2-tone sunburst looks sweet.
Last edited by Hakanku at Nov 15, 2007,
Get either the 62 american (don't know price in your currency) or check out japanese fenders, especially the 62 reissues.
Listen to The Sounds Inside
John Frusciante
Cool, I think the neck's the most important part for me, and the 1,000 is just a budget. I cant imagine myself going up to an MIA, its probably just not worth the money.

So far its between the Classic Players 50, and the Highway 1.

Any other suggestions?

Edit: ^Aren't those reissues up to a few grand? If only...

Where would a Classic Players 50 land between an MIM, MIJ, MIA?

How are the pick-ups?

Don't steal, don't lift
Well if not american i highly, and i mean HIGHLY recommend the japanese fenders. My friend has one and i just can't tell the difference to american standards. I hear the mexican 60s strats are pretty good. Im not sure if theres a classic players 60s strat though.
Listen to The Sounds Inside
John Frusciante
^Yeah, I've heard that an original 80's MIJ is the absolute sh*t!

To bad they're so rare

Quote by Hakanku
The neck is widely agreed to be one of the most comfortable necks ever, soft V is great IMO, but I can understand how some people may not like it as much as a normal C, so you should definatly try before you buy. But, as most people in the strat lovers thread say, its one of the most comfortable strats there is.

Overall, how does it compare to your MIM Telecaster?

Don't steal, don't lift
Hmm...well its abit hard to compare, different guitars and PUPS etc. But overall I like the strat alot better, its more comfortable and it feels more solid and just abit...better I guess. I think of the tele as more of a toy for some reason now i've gotten the strat, and I use the strat alot more (but then again the strat is still only a few months old so im still in the honeymoon period)
^ 'Honeymoon Period'

If I got one I would probly just sell my Tele to afford it, I mean how often do you use yours now?

How do you think it would compare to an American Standard?

Don't steal, don't lift
Hah, its true, everyone has a honeymoon period with gear, a person mistakingly buys an MT-2, loves it for a couple weeks, then realises it sound like bees in a tin and either never uses it or sells it for half the price.

I wouldnt be able to compare it to a MIA, I havnt properly tried a MIA strat, only a few times around my Girlfriends (her dad has like every guitar under the sun, its like going in to a dream when I go around hers)
Damn you're one lucky prick

I'm not sure on the V-shaped neck so hopefully I'll be able to try one in a music shop around here.

Ok, how about compared to an MIM? I'm just trying to work out where it lands in between the common MIM, MIJ and MIA...

Don't steal, don't lift
I think you should buy a brand new MIA Strat, just the smell inside the hardcase that's included is worth it. And also the feeling that you're the first owner of the guitar, and hopefully the last is great!
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Last edited by Hultan at Nov 15, 2007,
Quote by Hultan
I think you should buy a brand new MIA Strat, just the smell inside the hardcase that's included is worth it. And you will be the first owner of the guitar, and hopefully the last

that's right on man, nothing smells the same!

get a SSS MIA standard strat, consider changing the pickups for texas specials, you don't have to do that straightaway, but it does change a great guitar into a f***ing awesome one. that's what i did , and i get comments about the sound and tone wherever i play it.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Damn it, dont tempt me!

I'd never buy an MIA new, I'd get it off eBay or something. Sh*t, I have no idea what to get

Don't steal, don't lift
I would say the CP is above MIM, on par with some MIJ and just below MIA.

But like I said, my GFs dad traded his MIA in after getting a CP50s after trying mine, he said it was miles above his MIA standard, so it really depends on the individual guitar itself.

And also, it isnt a hard v, they are quite uncomfortable.

IMO

soft v>c-shape>normal/hard v

in terms of comfort. I wont include other shapes because I havnt tried them enough.

But definatly try it before.
Hopefully I'll be able to try one out soon but I think the local places only have the 60's version.

Do you think I should sell my Telecaster when I'd get it?

Don't steal, don't lift
Its up to you matey, what tele have you got? Im keeping my tele, they both produce different sounds and feel different.
An MIM, I doubt I will 'cause I've only had it for like 2 years, and I probably wont buy this Strat for a few months.

Plus, I have pedals to be buying first!

The benefits of having a job, huh.

Don't steal, don't lift
Give the CP60s a go, loving mine. Highway ones are also really nice. I wouldn't really say ones better than the other, just different.
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat
Washburn HB35
PRS Santana SE
Yamaha Pacifica 112MX
Vox AD30VT
Fender Champion 600
Dunlop wah
Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz
I've played a few strats in my time, but bought what i think is the best overall.....
an Eric Johnson strat in candy apple red.
It feels great, plays beautifully and has sounds that still amaze me.
Got it about 2 years ago and cost £1250 (but don't know what that is in euros).
Definately worth investigating, even if you don't end up buying one it's worth at least trying one out.
Good hunting.
My gear:
Fender 50th anniv American Strat Deluxe NICE
Fender Eric johnson Strat SEXY
Gibson SG Special Gothic II RAW
Ibanez JS 1000 VERSATILE
Gibson Les Paul Custom OOH BABY
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Head & Cab LET'S ROCK
Quote by Defunkt
Aw damn it

I got my Tele of GAK, but if I'm willing to dish out a bit more money I'd like to try it out first. Then again I doubt I'd be able to.

What would these Strat copies compare to, around an MIJ?

I'd prefer to go second hand actually, and I'd be perfectly happy with buying off eBay.

haven't tried an MIJ fender, i don't think, but yeah, not far off, if not on par with, MIA. electronics probably not as good, but switch those out and I'd rather have one of those than an MIA standard...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, I get the feeling that with the MIA's you're just paying for the title and not getting much value for money. I could be wrong though, but still I'd feel fairly ripped off buying one new.

Hows this look?
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/74205

Besides that I'm fairly set on a Classic Players 50, anyone else got an opinion on them?
Would a used MIJ be better?

Don't steal, don't lift
Post in the strat lovers thread, alot of people there know their stuff very well, and they can give their opinion as well.
^ yeah, probably.

my main beef with fender (and gibson and PRS do it too) is that they're far too concerned with (a) making sure none of their models overlaps and hence cannibalises other models in their range and (b) making money off those less "in the know".

For example, you'll not find a fender tele with a swamp ash body below the ones at about £1200, the vintage series (i think). Why? Well, because the guys "in the know" are willing to pay a premium for swamp ash, and also if they offered a swamp ash guitar at £400, how many would buy the £1200 one?

To me, that's a gip. Granted, swamp ash is marginally more expensive than alder. But it's not £800 more expensive. Don't believe me, ask any luthier or company with an online price calculator (e.g. DBD guitars)- you're talking maybe a £20-£50 premium for the swamp ash.

It's more a business than a guitar luthier, once you get that big. Which is a shame.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hey man thats most companies, but most people would do the same in their shoes. I'd want to keep my company going more than satisfying the customer with morally correct decisions. Its harsh, but unfortunately its the way.

Worst of all, these are huge companies who dont even need the cash!

On a lighter note, I've decided on the Classic Player 50's Strat for E600 and if I see some better deals along the way I'll get that instead. I'll be getting in March for my birthday(if I can wait that long) and I'm proud to say I'm leaving UG for good.

Although my post count is kind of low, I've still wasted many potential guitar hours in front of this damn P.C. So, all in all, thanks for the help lads!

Don't steal, don't lift
Last edited by Defunkt at Nov 16, 2007,
^ i haven't tried the classic 50's strat, but the classic 60's is nice- I think were I to get a fender (assuming I didn't go for a big bucks one, lol), one of those classic ones would be high up my list.

good choice!

I know what you mean about the companies, and it's hard to blame them when they all do it, more or less. and the ones who don't do it would generally do it if they could. I still do, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm more or less on the same situation, just that I'm willing to spend less than 1000 :P
I like the idea of the CP's, but the modern specs aren't of my liking. In fact, what I like about Fender is their vintage models, so what I'm gonna do next month (probably) is getting a Classic 60's and change the pickups for the 57/62's and maybe upgrade the bridge or the electronics. I think those Classic series are really worth a look ^^
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah, probably.

my main beef with fender (and gibson and PRS do it too) is that they're far too concerned with (a) making sure none of their models overlaps and hence cannibalises other models in their range and (b) making money off those less "in the know".

For example, you'll not find a fender tele with a swamp ash body below the ones at about £1200, the vintage series (i think). Why? Well, because the guys "in the know" are willing to pay a premium for swamp ash, and also if they offered a swamp ash guitar at £400, how many would buy the £1200 one?

To me, that's a gip. Granted, swamp ash is marginally more expensive than alder. But it's not £800 more expensive. Don't believe me, ask any luthier or company with an online price calculator (e.g. DBD guitars)- you're talking maybe a £20-£50 premium for the swamp ash.

It's more a business than a guitar luthier, once you get that big. Which is a shame.
Lite Ash Tele?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
haven't tried the lite ash tele, but i didn't like the lite ash strat...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?