I know this is a stupid question but I'm just a beginner and my curiosity is boundless.

What exactly is "shredding?" I've heard people say it a lot: "Dude, I can shred like crazy." "Dude, this guy can not shred." Strangely I don't think even many of them know what it means.

Anyway, if someone could just answer that simple question without flaming me into oblivion I'd be very thankful.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
herman li = wanking =/=shredding

imo shred as a genre puts the emphasis on guitar instead of voice as in most genres. after all the guitar was first used to emulate the human voice. shred as a playing style consists of advanced playing techniques (tapping, sweeping, legato ect) used in (mostly) melodic guitar phrases
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Last edited by shredhead22 at Nov 14, 2007,
Its playing fast basically. But there also is a certain style of music shredding is assosiated with, mostly metal and neo-classical. Ive never seen any shredding blues guitarists. My suggestions would be Paul Gilbert, Yngwie for the neo-classical, and The solo in Jane's Addictions song Stop! is really good. EVH is the obvious suggestion as well.
Shred is playing things fast. Yingwie? Malmsteem ? is a shred guitarist. They play fast.
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
Thanks guys. I hear a lot about Yngwie Malmsteen (even from my guitar teacher) so I'm probably going to look him up.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.