this crappy little Epiphone. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Special-II-Electric-Guitar?sku=518334

the black one actually. i've had this thing for a few years. its just about the heaviest LP i've ever played.

so there are 2 things i want to do:
1. turn it into a semi-hallow body and cut an F hole in there
2. install a Floyd Rose Tremolo.

yes or no? possible or waste of time? (PS, im new to this idea of customization. so be gentle)
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
It sounds cool. But I HIGHLY doubt you could make it semi hollow. (No offense) and a floyd rose kills LP's. But I guess for 150, it's a cool idea if you want a COMPLETELY different sound.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
no difference, they're both guitars
....?
I see no sign of fortress.
One is a ghetto off-brand made of cheap materials and poorly set-up just for you cheap bastards, and a regular guitar is...umm, not?

I mean, im not a Gibson elitist, WHAT?
Quote by Riot Act
One is a ghetto off-brand made of cheap materials and poorly set-up just for you cheap bastards, and a regular guitar is...umm, not?

I mean, im not a Gibson elitist, WHAT?

LOL thx
Quote by Ghold125
NEW GUITAR!!!!http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Les-Paul-Studio-Electric-Guitar-with-Floyd-Rose-Tremolo?sku=519398
and NO don't turn a les paul into a semi-hallow and put F-Hole in their, then it wouldn't be a les paul, and the sound would change ALOT

Quote by Artemis Entreri
It sounds cool. But I HIGHLY doubt you could make it semi hollow. (No offense) and a floyd rose kills LP's. But I guess for 150, it's a cool idea if you want a COMPLETELY different sound.

actually, thats the idea. i want to change it.

firstly, it isnt a LP anyway (its a "Special II" which is just a cheap-ass Epi with an LP shape). 2nd, ive owned the guitar for 4 years maybe, and i either want to sell it, break it, or change it into something brand-f*cking-new and cool.

plus i already have a great Epi Les Paul. check my profile. i have a few pics and a kick-ass slide show. so i want to do something new and creative with my old knock around guitar. i want to get a new sound out of it. the sound it has now is pretty sh*tty as it is.
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

thx forsaknazrael, one more noob question how do you make your own forum/thread?heelllllppppp
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
actually, thats the idea. i want to change it.

firstly, it isnt a LP anyway (its a "Special II" which is just a cheap-ass Epi with an LP shape). 2nd, ive owned the guitar for 4 years maybe, and i either want to sell it, break it, or change it into something brand-f*cking-new and cool.

plus i already have a great Epi Les Paul. check my profile. i have a few pics and a kick-ass slide show. so i want to do something new and creative with my old knock around guitar. i want to get a new sound out of it. the sound it has now is pretty sh*tty as it is.

The Les Paul Special II is no gem, but through the right amp, it'll sound more than halfway decent.

Doing any wood-routing modifications are going to be expensive, and not worth it. Best bet would be to sell it, and put the money towards a god amp. The Spider is god awful. No wonder your LP Special II sounds terrible.
Your amp is like 70-80% of your tone man, fingers/technique not taken into consideration.

Quote by jose92fu
thx forsaknazrael, one more noob question how do you make your own forum/thread?heelllllppppp

At the top of all the topics, there's a button that say "Post New Thread".
the spider only sucks when you play too loud. you get good sounds out of it at normal volumes. and the Special II has always sounded bad, no matter what amp i play on. Peavey, Marshall... the Special just is not a great sounding instrument.

and i didnt mention that i'd also be changing the pickups. but that wasnt part of the question. i just needed to know if the other ideas were a possibility.

and selling it wouldnt help much towards getting a new amp. i could get $50 for it at the most.

Quote by jose92fu
thats weird mine dosent have "post new thread" WTF

bottom right of the main page on Gear Building & Customizing
Quote by Article

No?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
the spider only sucks when you play too loud. you get good sounds out of it at normal volumes. and the Special II has always sounded bad, no matter what amp i play on. Peavey, Marshall... the Special just is not a great sounding instrument.

and i didnt mention that i'd also be changing the pickups. but that wasnt part of the question. i just needed to know if the other ideas were a possibility.

and selling it wouldnt help much towards getting a new amp. i could get $50 for it at the most.

bottom right of the main page on Gear Building & Customizing

Pickups wouldn't really make a difference on the Spider. The Spider is an okay practice amp...But it really doesn't have the warmth or dynamics of a tube amp. The distortion is sub-par for a solid state...You're not playing thr right Peaveys are Marshalls.
LP Special II's go for more than that on craigslist and eBay, my friend.
just sell the little bugger, save them $50-75 bucks for something more noticeable in your tone
Quote by Article

Quote by forsaknazrael
No?

Pickups wouldn't really make a difference on the Spider. The Spider is an okay practice amp...But it really doesn't have the warmth or dynamics of a tube amp. The distortion is sub-par for a solid state...You're not playing thr right Peaveys are Marshalls.
LP Special II's go for more than that on craigslist and eBay, my friend.

didnt line 6 recently release a partial tube amp in the sipder line?
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Avatar 4x12 cabinet w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings
Quote by Invader Jim
How in HELL would you change a solid-body into a hollow-body??

He could chamber it. It'd be easy with this body style (no top, no carve). Just rout out chambers and glue a thin top on. If I had a simple and bland guitar with a nice neck, I might do it as well.
Quote by Pikka Bird
He could chamber it. It'd be easy with this body style (no top, no carve). Just rout out chambers and glue a thin top on. If I had a simple and bland guitar with a nice neck, I might do it as well.

exactly! thats the idea.

^^and yes, Line 6 has a tube Spider. i dont know if its any good or not.

EDIT: and for the record, im happy with my amp as it is just for practice. i do want a tube amp, but i dont need one just yet because i find it easy to dial in the tones i want in my spider. it might not be perfect, but it works and i am content.
Quote by Article

Last edited by PaperStSoapCo at Nov 14, 2007,
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
best thing ive seen all day... *bookmarked*

thanks.

Nowhere near the range of a Floyd Rose...Or even a vintage Strat trem's divebombs.

Quote by christianbassis
didnt line 6 recently release a partial tube amp in the sipder line?

It's called a Spider Valve, but it really only shares the faceplate/control layout with the Spider II and such. The circuitry isn't anything like it. The similarity in name will help it sell, since the Spider series is so popular....

^Okay...But again, I wouldn't go changing pickups...If you want to improve your tone, your tone is only going to be as strong as your weakest link - which is the Spider.
ive had the spider for almost a year and i have no complaints. it gives me exavtly what im looking for when i want it. matter of fact, i would have never doubted my spider if it wasnt for people on this site trashing it left and right. and honestly, i rely on this amps built in effects for when im playing (yes, everyone says they are sh*tty, i dont care) because i cant afford a good floor modeler (and ive played a few and they all sounded like garbage) or a half dozen stomp boxes.

with that said, i have been in the market for a tube amp and any of the ones that have interested me i either cant find or they are far out of my price range. then i realized, "hey, what do i need that for right now? im only playing in my f*cking bedroom." and thats why my spider works just fine the way it is.

the only thing i can say to you guys is either you played a bad one (or played it too loud) or you have never played one at all and your just buying into the hype.
Quote by Article

The Spider makes for an okay bedroom amp - and strictly that...but many people buy it looking for an awesome gigging amp, or to improve their tone, or want to buy new pickups because they don't like their tone. People trash it for those reasons - and because I Spider I, II, or III will never have the same dynamics or warmth of a tube amp. Maybe you can't hear the difference - But I can, and so can many other well-informed people on this site.
I don't recommend changing pickups because it would be USELESS to do it now. If you don't like your tone, then don't always look to your pickups to make a huge difference. They're a small part of the tonal equation. And the Spider masks most of the subtle nuances of a good pickup, anyway. So - it's not worth it. Trust me, I've played a Epi LP Specials through good amps at stores, to try out amps. The guitar sounds fine.
long time, no post...

well, i dropped the idea of having a tremolo in there. more then what im looking for right now. but im still changing everything else, tuners, pickups, and yes, i still want to hollow the bitch out. basically, this guitar will be a test for me. i want to learn how to do it myself. worst thing that can happen is i ruin the Special II and i end up with spare parts. but before anyone asks why... again. im going to list reasons:

new tuners?

the factory tuners are HORRIBLE. cant stay in tune for sh*t. they gotta go.

new pickups?

yeah, the pickups buzz worse then any other guitar i have and the tone isnt very articulate. the notes just arent as clear as they should be.

line 6 spider? just get a new amp.

ive been hunting for a Mesa Boogie Single Recto. so, stop trashing my amp.

hollow out the bitch?

all basswood body (i think). i dont know if thats a good wood or not. all i know is that this guitar is the heaviest i have ever played. it wore out the leather ends on several straps.

so now all i need is the know-how to get this project under way... and money. but i'll get the money one way or another. right now, i need references to books and websites that can give me pointers on this type of thing. guitar building/repair, soldering, etc... this guitar is perfect for me to learn these things on.

thanks for the help, people
Quote by Article

Quote by Artemis Entreri

Floyd Roses are fine on LP. Neal Schon is an incredible player and has an immaculate tone. Guess what? He has a Floyd Rose on his Les Paul. The no FR on a LP is just based on guitarists hardcore traditionalism/superstition.

Neal Schon on his LP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssFi4y8YgS4
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo
fulltone Clyde Standard wah

*No Advertising*
Last edited by jackson001 at Dec 15, 2007,
Quote by Invader Jim
How in HELL would you change a solid-body into a hollow-body??

1: cut a hole in it
2:pour molten lead in it
3:put your dick inside
4:slap yourself for thinking you could make it semi hollow
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

hollow out the bitch?

all basswood body (i think). i dont know if thats a good wood or not. all i know is that this guitar is the heaviest i have ever played. it wore out the leather ends on several straps.

Although they say its basswood, if it's really that heavy, I would doubt the truthfulness of that claim. My experience with basswood is that it is really light(super-light, my basswood strat copy weighs about half of what my alder strat weighs) and is really soft(nicks and dings if you look at it wrong, or let it touch anything). Making it semi-hollow is going to be really tough. If i were you, and it is a basswood guitar, I'd rip everything out(pups, electronics, neck, bridge, everything) and just build a new guitar using the old body. You could even strip the finish and refinish it if you want.
Stevie Y of the GO WINGS club. PM me with a title to join.

The following statement is false. The preceding statement is true.

Member #20 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.
Heres my idea for you. try only hollowing out the bottom half. Or I guess its the top (side of the higher strings) because I played a hollow body in GC, loved the tone of the higher strings but the tone of the E and A was too twangy for my taste. Also http://www.kahlerusa.com/home.html kahler sells stud mounted trems that get can pull of divebombs competitive with FR's. And finally the FR isnt a longshot at all since you routing up the body anyways its not to much more to cut a trem cavity. And one more thing, route it yourself and if you need to buy a router go to a pawn shop, I got mine for $25.
I don't think that you will be able to do both request. If you decide to chamber the guitar you will lose all integrity needed for throwing a Floyd Rose on.

You could chamber the top bout some but i would just buy another guitar and call it a day.
Breakfast; the most importent drink of the day.
Quote by whatadrag
1: cut a hole in it
2:pour molten lead in it
3:put your dick inside
4:slap yourself for thinking you could make it semi hollow

You sir, made my night.
Quote by Molsons Golden
I don't think that you will be able to do both request. If you decide to chamber the guitar you will lose all integrity needed for throwing a Floyd Rose on.

You could chamber the top bout some but i would just buy another guitar and call it a day.

like i said, this is a learning experience for me, so... no. i will learn nothing by buying another guitar. i want to be able to work with my hands and to be able to handle any repairs on a guitar myself. the best way, as i see it, is doing this. taking an old guitar and changing out everything myself. that's better then waiting for a problem on one of my good guitars.

the way i see it... anyone who ever learned anything about building/repairing guitars probably did something stupid to and old guitar. either it worked or it didn't. in the end, they learned something.
Quote by Article

Quote by PaperStSoapCo

so there are 2 things i want to do:
1. turn it into a semi-hallow body and cut an F hole in there

yes or no? possible or waste of time? (PS, im new to this idea of customization. so be gentle)

For the work your gonna have to put in to do the f-hole thing, you may as well make one from scratch. Its a big job.
Personally, if you can get your hands on a router and don't want the guitrar do it. It'll get you some idea into serious guitar customizing, if you f*** up on a s*** guitar your not going to care, the sound as it is isn't going to be great. and when you chop all that wood out of it, its just going to make it a lot less bottom ended.
Through a spider it isn't going to make much difference because its a modelling amp, it just try's ot make every guitar sound like its presets

But if you do decide to go ahead with this, be warned it is hard work and you do need to be careful. It depends what you want to gain from this, if its tone your after don't do it, if its experience and a bit of fun, do it