I've been saving some cash for about a month. by next week I'll have 2 grand at my disposal solely for a head.

all I'm concerned about it massive gut busting gain. obviously this will be used for metal. I have a Valveking, so if it doesn't have decent cleans, it's no huge deal to me.

the amps I'm looking at are the Rivera K-tre, a Mesa Dual recto (used probably) and I've even looked at the VHT Deliverance, but it seems like a one-trick pony only having one channel. and the lack of effects loop turns me off.

so any other suggestions? I'm going to be driving a few hundred miles to a high end amp dealer over the thanksgiving weekend, and any added points of interest will be helpful and appreciated.

thanks!
Jumping Jax Champion 1965!
The Deliverance may not have an FX loop, but it pairs excellently with pedals. If you want versatility (with mind crushing gain), go for a Mesa Mk IV (I'm gonna try and find a used one, and you should too). If you can get one for around $1400 used you'll have enough for a Vader 4x12 cab to pair it with! Otherwise, there's the Marshall JVM (I tried it out, it's pretty brutal, but very middy on channel 4-red), the Dual Recto (Try and find a used 2-channel triple-recto, you'll thank me later), but those don't have very much definition. The Krank Revolution is semi-good, but it's got a very dry sound. You've got several options, just try some stuff out and find what suits you best.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade *it has alot of gain, I own one and vouch for that*
" TriAmp...if Amon Amarth has enough gain, then that's all good surely?

Also check out ENGL amps, Fireball/Powerball/Thunderball...can't remember which are which but the models have 'ball' at the end anyway haha
Powerball is the biggest one, and probably the best for live performances. Fireball is just 2 channels I think, while the power is 4. Thunder has only one set of controls if I remember, but still 4 channels. It's wierd....
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
The Deliverance may not have an FX loop, but it pairs excellently with pedals. If you want versatility (with mind crushing gain), go for a Mesa Mk IV (I'm gonna try and find a used one, and you should too). If you can get one for around $1400 used you'll have enough for a Vader 4x12 cab to pair it with! Otherwise, there's the Marshall JVM (I tried it out, it's pretty brutal, but very middy on channel 4-red), the Dual Recto (Try and find a used 2-channel triple-recto, you'll thank me later), but those don't have very much definition. The Krank Revolution is semi-good, but it's got a very dry sound. You've got several options, just try some stuff out and find what suits you best.

ha! I was planning on getting a Vader cab to pair with whatever head I get. nice choice.

I'll look into the Mesa Mk4. thanks.
I've only tried the K-tre, it was amazing
very high gain, very clear, even a great clean tone..
oh and that foundation control is really usefull
the k-tre sounded totally freaking trebly and harsh to me. the saturation was nice, but the voicing was killing me.
Quote by TheShred201
Wll again, for your price range new, I reccomend the Mesa Roadster. actually though, you could get a used bogner uberschall, which had the sickest metal toneof any amp I've ever played.

Yeah, for massive gain I was going to suggest a used Uberschall just on reputation alone, but I would also suggest checking out a Soldano SLO 100 (used). I have an SLO, & it definitely delivers very articulate gut-busting gain, & will likely cut through better than the Bogner, or anything else for that matter (but admittedly, I've not tried the Bogner. Just info from friends who have).
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
^youre right. an slo with depth or warren mod can be great for face-melting stuff. the uberschall was flabby as hell and quite muddy. the clean channel also sucks. i wouldnt use one with anything other than a VERY clean guitar(tele)
Jermi, I have to disagree. When I tried an uberschall through a bogner cab, it wasn't as flabby/muddy as a dual rec, peavey 5150, or several other amps I've played. Also, while the clean channel wasn't as good as the Rivera's, it wasn't horrible. All of this was through my Jackson sl1 by the way.
The Uberschall is a great amplifier if you can set it right. I had one way back when, and it was mind blowing. I ran it through a Marshall 1960a, which isn't as bass-focused as other cabs.

I would vote Mesa [two chan] if you are into the Mesa tona, but keep in mind it's a bit different than other high gain amps.

The Peavey 5150 is also a great amplifier. I currently have a 5150 [not the II] and it roars. I normally run that through a Mesa 4x12.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
2k gives you a lot of options. Besides all the cool amps already mentioned, also look into the Splawn Nitro, VHT SigX, and Mako Mak2. Three new br00tal amps that hit the market this year, all around the 2k mark new.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I would suggest the ENGL fireball or powerball as well, they are more of a boutique amp company and for a good price...more bang for your buck, also i would look into the bogner ubershall (as others have mentioned), the soldanos are nice, and the riveras are also sweet....DIEZEL is also realy hot right now, posibly out of your price range though, all i know is they are very high quality and good gain, adam jones from tool uses them.
Quote by angus69
I HATE PINK FLOYD!!!! they don't do any music! it's just bull****... other bands like genesis, king krimson or jefferson airplane are so musch better!!!!

Quote by TwistedLogic
/\ New evidence that internet use should be restricted to those who can count to 10 or higher.
Quote by MikeLow
I would suggest the ENGL fireball or powerball as well, they are more of a boutique amp company and for a good price...more bang for your buck, also i would look into the bogner ubershall (as others have mentioned), the soldanos are nice, and the riveras are also sweet....DIEZEL is also realy hot right now, posibly out of your price range though, all i know is they are very high quality and good gain, adam jones from tool uses them.

yeah, Diezels are more than I'm looking to spend. from the stuff I've heard, they sound great. but not another 2G great, at least to me.

heard the ENGL's. I have a friend who loves'em. he has a fireball, and just bought the powerball a few weeks ago. I don't dig thier tone that much. not bad amps though.
ENGL Blackmore
The amps Erock posted
Peavey 5150/6505
Mesa Mark IV
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I would DEFINITELY at least play a Soldano Avenger and an Engl Anything-ball BEFORE you make your final decision.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto