I'm trying to decide between these two amps, I play mostly metal and hard rock with some bluesier stuff thrown in. My budget is about £300. They're both plenty loud enough for what I need, just not sure which suits me best.

Windsor - Good hard rock/metal sound, pretty much no cleans. I could get an AB switch with one going straight into the amp and one going into my V-Amp2 or Vox AD30 then into the effects return of the peavey for cleans? I can get this for £200 and I'd probably build a 2x12 cab.

Laney - Great cleans and vintagey crunch. Definitely need an overdrive but to start with I'd be using a Boss SD1, not ideal I know. Could only afford the 1x12 version. Possibly a slightly nicer amp? But considering what I play buying an amp thats not made for rock and metal and making it do it seems a bit pointless?

Thanks for any advice.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Also, do you think the Laney LC30 or Peavey Valveking would be worth a look?
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
the vc will blow the peavey away. i try to love peavey, but laney is a cut above the rest. i had a tt50 and i liked it even more than the marshall jvm i had. friggin awesome. it's really hard to beat a laney amp in terms of tone.
In general I may agree, but some amp models are better than others, I say the classic is better than the VC, wheras the VC is alot better than the VK. The 5150 is better than the laney LC (or whatever the more modern one is).

For the TS needs, the windsor sounds like it is the best option, its very similar to a JCM800, but with maybe abit more umph. But, lack of cleans, you can easily use your volume on the guitar to clean up the signal, but if its cranked you are not going to get a proper clean tone, more like a slightly dirtied clean tone.
Windsor for your stuff. But for the love of Pete don't buy the windsor cab, it's rubbish.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
Windsor for your stuff. But for the love of Pete don't buy the windsor cab, it's rubbish.

agreed, imo peavey cabs (of which ive tried) are very poor, very muddy and flabby with no note definition whatsoever.
yeah i'd probably go windsor for what you want.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah I'm definitely leaning towards the Windsor now, £200 is a pretty good price. I've tried a VC30 and its very nice but I didn't get a chance to try it with an overdrive to push it.

I'm going to check if the Sound Control in Southampton has the Windsor available to try out and if it does I'll give it a go on Saturday.

If I built a cab what speakers would you recommend? I first though of Vintage 30s but then I discovered Eminence Governors which are supposedly like V30s but with a smoother top end, I can get them cheaper to.
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112