Page 1 of 2
Ok guys, I thought of this in physics today, lets say you get a one way mirror, and stand on the non mirror side (so you can see through it) and were to put a mirror parallel to the one way mirror, on the mirror side of it. I'll try and draw a diagram:

|................|
|->.........<-| * (You)
|................|

Now, what do you see, a never ending reflection of a reflection?
Yes. It's like being between 2 mirrors. You look at one which reflects the other reflecting it over and over again.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
Holy **** that's awesome...
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Yes. To test this just hold up a hand mirror up to a bathroom mirror, with both mirrored sides facing each other. It just shows a never-ending reflection.
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
yes
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Honestly, you think more than me, haha, anyways all a mirror does is reflect light, so in technicality* yes you would but that's just like this saying:

The below statement is false.
The above statement is true.

You can just never figure it out.
Yeah, but eventually your own head gets in the way, or a slight difference in angle causes the reflection to go to the edge of the mirror, lets say these are exactly parallel with nothing but air inbetween them, what is reflected?
we had a cabinet with three doors and a mirror on each. i would open them up and put my head in the middle of them and think i was on crack or something
Yep. Never ending reflection...

What would happen if the mirrors were moving away from each other at the speed of light though?
Every inside out badger has a silver lining.
Quote by CLVPX
Yeah, but eventually your own head gets in the way, or a slight difference in angle causes the reflection to go to the edge of the mirror, lets say these are exactly parallel with nothing but air inbetween them, what is reflected?

It would just keep getting smaller and smaller until it was eventually just a tiny dot. If you had a telescope you could look at that dot and see more of the same reflection. It would never end.
Quote by CLVPX
yourself

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
It would look like this, sorta:

Quote by CLVPX
It'd be weird seeing a never ending reflection without you in it. It'd just be a reflection of the mirror...

And if the room was empty aside from the two mirrors what would you see?
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Quote by SkyValley
It would just keep getting smaller and smaller until it was eventually just a tiny dot. If you had a telescope you could look at that dot and see more of the same reflection. It would never end.

Quote by giant_toaster
Yep. Never ending reflection...

What would happen if the mirrors were moving away from each other at the speed of light though?

They can't, so stfu.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
This is how the mirror people see us. If you were to replicate it, you would become the mirror person for someone in another universe.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Quote by Rankles
It'd be weird seeing a never ending reflection without you in it. It'd just be a reflection of the mirror...

Thats exactly what I mean..
WAIT, STOP THIS CRAZINESS!!! You would just see black. It's a closed system, the light cannot escape to be observed.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
but what if u looked through the see through side( of the first mirror at teh the other mirrors reflecting side??!?
_____________<--------mirror
:::::::::::::::::::::<---------empty space
---------------------<--------2 way mirror
O
--I-- <------------- YOU(supposed to be a person lol)
M
Quote by kriscornella2@g
No. Argument if i hear fall out boy i get so angry i am more likely to kick someones ass than when i listen to iron maiden

Quote by GiantRaven
****ing Coheed freaks...

FREE WARPED TOUR TICKETS!!!
zune. i <3 my turd brown 30 gig.
Quote by coheed.666
but what if u looked through the see through side( of the first mirror at teh the other mirrors reflecting side??!?
_____________<--------mirror
:::::::::::::::::::::<---------empty space
---------------------<--------2 way mirror
O
--I-- <------------- YOU(supposed to be a person lol)
M

Then you would still see nothing, as light cannot escape through the 2 way mirror

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
What if you started off with a light source, then (somehow) removed it?
Surely the light would continue forever due to it effectively travelling over an infinite distance..
(my head just exploded)
Quote by kriscornella2@g
No. Argument if i hear fall out boy i get so angry i am more likely to kick someones ass than when i listen to iron maiden

Quote by GiantRaven
****ing Coheed freaks...

Someone with the proper materials do it now and take a picture. I'm extremely curious as to what is going to happen here.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by Rankles

well there'd have to be a light source wouldn't there? and eventually would you see the other walls? maybe if you had 6 mirrors on each side and exposed a light for a second then removed it and trapped the light then you could look at it

Quote by CLVPX
Surely the light would continue forever due to it effectively travelling over an infinite distance..

except i guess the light would have to slowly be escaping the one way or else you couldn't see it
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Quote by CLVPX

There would be some form of interference (i'd have thought) but it can't be observed anyway without breaking the system.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by jiminizzle
well there'd have to be a light source wouldn't there? and eventually would you see the other walls? maybe if you had 6 mirrors on each side and exposed a light for a second then removed it and trapped the light then you could look at it

Yeah, but because of the speed light travels at, it would be rather difficult...

Stilll, somone do it and take a pic
Quote by mcw00t
There would be some form of interference (i'd have thought) but it can't be observed anyway without breaking the system.

what if you put a camera in there recording it and transmitting it with radiowaves or something
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
wouldnt it be like a strobe light cause of the light that would be traveling throught the space tho?

NO, it would be like a tv that shows what happend like a milisecond ago
Quote by kriscornella2@g

Quote by GiantRaven
****ing Coheed freaks...

Last edited by coheed.666 at Nov 14, 2007,
Nah, it travels wayyy too fast for it to look like a strobe, strobes flash maybe 5-10 times a sec, mirrors would have to be several thousand km apart to notice even a slight flashing..
Quote by CLVPX
Nah, it travels wayyy too fast for it to look like a strobe, strobes flash maybe 5-10 times a sec, mirrors would have to be several thousand km apart to notice even a slight flashing..

they would have to be about 186,000 miles away to get a single flash every second.
Quote by CLVPX

to do that the mirrors would have to be exactly parralell to each other and the light would have to be exactly perpendicular at 90 degree's to them impossilble unless you made a box of mirrors
song stuck in my head today

This thread makes me glad I'm done with high school physics.
Quote by CLVPX
What I'M wondering is, how come the pit is usually just us talking about things to do with our penises, but when someone asks a nonsensical question, we suddenly become smart enough to answer it and then suggest possibilities like
"What if you started off with a light source, then (somehow) removed it?
Surely the light would continue forever due to it effectively travelling over an infinite distance.."
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
Quote by lushacrous
Someone with the proper materials do it now and take a picture. I'm extremely curious as to what is going to happen here.

I volunteer. But somebody has to tell me how to make a two-way mirror. (SRSLY)
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
It's perfectly straightforward, though. Light is reflected on the other side of the mirror but not on your side. I've no idea how they manage that practically, but once you have that settled the physics are rather easy.
I'm a communist. Really.
Quote by SkyValley
It would look like this, sorta:

No, if you were invisible and standing exactly in the middle it'd look like that. But since you're on the side, you'd see the mirrors curving slightly, since you'd have to look at an angle to see the center.
Quote by CLVPX

What he's saying is that the light can't go through the one way mirror, so you'd be in darkness.
Page 1 of 2