Sorry for the vague topic title haha. Anyways I'm new to Electric Guitars but I have had an Acoustic since February, and I've been dieing to get an Electric. So far I've found this guitar and a amp. I'm just wondering if they're worth it. Like I said I'm new so I'm not necessarily looking to blow all my money on these things, max I'd spend on an amp would be $100 (Which is what that Roland costs without Tax etc.) and on a guitar less than $200 (The GRX20 is $150).

I'm just wondering what you guys think because that GRX20 supposedly has nice reviews but I don't know much about Electrics. I also don't know about the tremelo bar, I've heard it's a hassle but if I would need it later I would rather have it now since I don't know how soon I'll get another guitar, so I was wondering if I should just get one without a tremelo bar, or should I just get that one and ignore the bar? I'm into many types of music but mainly rock/metal.

I also don't know about the amp, someone just told me that Roland was good and that was the cheapest I could find.

Anyways, would like to know what you guys think since I'm planning on getting them soon. If you guys have any suggestions/recommendations I'd like to hear them, thanks!
That guitar looks niiiiiceee, but I can't spend more than $200 on the guitar Any other recommendations?
If you guys don't have any recommendations, is what I've chosen good for the price at least?
Microcubes are nice, and the thing about a trem, unless it's a Bigsby (which yours isn't), you can always take the tremolo arm off.
That looks nice but it's over what I can afford, would the Roland Cube 15X do?
A friend of mine has a VOX DA5, it's portable(battery powered) comes with an AC adapter, sounds awesome for what you pay, and what it is. I'm actually thinking of buying one for myself, just for the bedroom. If what your looking for is a practice amp, check it out. Check out musicyo.com too, the Kramer practice amp is pretty decent and in that price range, there are also sound demos for you to listen to.
Crate XT120R w/Eminence Texas Heat speakers
Randall V2 Head(stolen)
Randall 2x 12 1x15 cab(stolen)
LTD EC500 w/Rockfield SWC's(emg sux)(stolen)
Jackson KVX10 King V w/Rockfield Fatass/Mafia P'ups(stolen)
M100FM(ESP/LTD); Rockfield Fatass p'ups
Last edited by arowana1027 at Nov 14, 2007,
Thanks for the links, the Douglas WRL 595 BK seems pretty cool. I'm wondering though, is the one I listed (Ibanex GRX20) bad? I mean it's definitely not the best but for a beginner like me? Because I don't know what else to go for since I know little about Electrics like I've mentioned, and I can't go above $200 either.
Don't get the Cube 15x. It's horrible.

Vox DA5 or the Microcube are solid practice amps.

It's usually a bad idea to buy a cheap guitar with a trem, at $200, I'd buy either a Switch Oscar-IV or a Rogue HH Ash.

Or an Agile .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Nov 14, 2007,
Quote by BlaenkDenum
Thanks for the links, the Douglas WRL 595 BK seems pretty cool. I'm wondering though, is the one I listed (Ibanex GRX20) bad? I mean it's definitely not the best but for a beginner like me? Because I don't know what else to go for since I know little about Electrics like I've mentioned, and I can't go above $200 either.

It's not so much that it's a bad guitar, its just that you can do much better for the money.

Edit:
FacingUsAll, Have you played either one of those guitars? the Rouge looks like a really good guitar on paper, and I'm liking the neck joint. I've always wondered how Switch guitars were.
Last edited by Zofar at Nov 14, 2007,
15x doesn't have effects or any good modeling. I say, go for the microcube for an amp. If $200 is the limit, try to get $80 more for an Ibanez RG321MH..... it's worth it.
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
Last edited by AznElliot518 at Nov 15, 2007,
Quote by Zofar
It's not so much that it's a bad guitar, its just that you can do much better for the money.

Edit:
FacingUsAll, Have you played either one of those guitars? the Rouge looks like a really good guitar on paper, and I'm liking the neck joint. I've always wondered how Switch guitars were.

I've played some Switch guitars and they've been surprisingly good. I'm big on resonance, and they have lots of it.

Once you get over the fact that it isn't made of wood, you'll like it .

I haven't played the Rogue, but the specs are hard to argue with. You should get it and review it for all of us
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
I've played some Switch guitars and they've been surprisingly good. I'm big on resonance, and they have lots of it.

Once you get over the fact that it isn't made of wood, you'll like it .

I haven't played the Rogue, but the specs are hard to argue with. You should get it and review it for all of us

I've never seen any switch guitars around here, I've been dying to play one and all the reviews I've heard were good, I'd imagine it would have some massive resonance and sustain since it's all made of the same piece.

I have to agree with you on the Rouge, The specs really outweigh the price. I would seriously consider getting one if there were any shops around here that sells them. not for a while though, I just bought a new guitar 2 weeks ago.
Thanks for the help guys really. Most of you probably don't understand my situation since I see you have very expensive guitars and amps and gear and everything, but it's hard as it is that I got the money for the guitar and the amp, I really can't spend much more than that. So I'm wondering what you guys think is the best for that money.

No more than $200 for the guitar, no more than $100 for the amp. I understand you guys probably think 'but for only $x more you could get this', but I just can't get that '$x'. I've already waited over 9 months haha, but if you guys insist that I can't get anything decent (Notice I said decent, like I've mentioned already, I'm a beginner so I don't need 'the best') for that much money then I guess I'll keep waiting.

Thanks guys I appreciate the help!
Ya, I would definitely recommend buying something above basic beginner, you sound like someone who is interested in guitar. In any case, if you buy a low quality guitar, you will probably end up wanting to upgrade, which means you will have to spend even more money.

Where in southern California do you live?
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
I'm in Diamond Bar.

I really am interested in guitar it's just that I honestly don't have the frickin money. If I get better then I figure that by then I would have more money for a new guitar so it's not about I'll have to spend more later if you know what I mean. I just want something (guitar and amp) that are good for now, for the prices I have set, it's either that or nothing.

So just know that that's the most I can spend, absolute most, if you HAD to get a guitar/amp with that money, what would you guys get?
My son has an Epiphone G310. It's an SG and I know people say it's crap but he rocks out with it. I know people will say it doesn't have any sustain, but his is really not bad at all. It's $200.

Go to a guitar store and play around with them for a while, or you could get an inexpensive acoustic like the one in my sig. It's $99 new.
Epiphone G400 Cherry
Ibanez GSA60 Jewel Blue
Jasmine S35
Squire Affinity Strat
Roland Micro Cube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Cry Baby

Ibanez GSR200FM
Quote by AznElliot518

I would recommend the Microcube instead of the 15x, but if that is all you can afford, the 15x is decent.

No it's not.
Quote by utsapp89
Sweet I was able to get a used Schecter Omen 6 today! For $180 at Guitar Center. Now I just need an amp, so the microcube is good right? That's the best thing I could get for ~$100 right?

I would like one with drive/distortion effects, if possible. I know they won't be as good as a dedicated pedal, but at least for now. Does the microcube have that? I think the Roland Cube 15X does.
Quote by BlaenkDenum
Sweet I was able to get a used Schecter Omen 6 today! For $180 at Guitar Center. Now I just need an amp, so the microcube is good right? That's the best thing I could get for ~$100 right?

I would like one with drive/distortion effects, if possible. I know they won't be as good as a dedicated pedal, but at least for now. Does the microcube have that? I think the Roland Cube 15X does.

The Microcube has amp modeling (what you want ).

The Cube 15x just has different levels of gain.

Quote by utsapp89
Sweet thanks! I guess I'm getting a microcube then By the way, does it ONLY run on batteries? I doubt it, that would suck. Also, for the amp cable, does it matter which one I get? I see some very expensive ones and then cheaper ones, what's the difference? Thanks!
You can plug it in, too

Instrument cable does matter, but as long as you aren't using one of those crappy cables that come free with guitars/amps, you'll be fine.

Quote by utsapp89
You are off to a good start :p
hey deadsmiley is the g400 you have any good
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Artist
IbanezGXR20
Line 6 Spider ll 75
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Nano Small Stone
Alvarez FF60WR

Labyrinth Within
Quote by ibanez_2892
hey deadsmiley is the g400 you have any good

Well, I like it better than my Ibanez.

That being said, I like my Ibanex for it's cleaner tones. Honestly, the Micro Cube I just bought makes *both* guitars sound a lot better than my G-Dec Jr. ever did. I get a lot of noise when I turn up the gain on my G-Dec.

I bought the G400 used and read around some and decided that I could set it up myself. I did and one thing I discovered was that the truss rod was actually loose and I had too much bow in the neck of my G400. After adjusting the truss rod it plays a lot better now and I understand why they sold it.

I think others would be able to answer your questions better since I just started playing 4 months ago.
Epiphone G400 Cherry
Ibanez GSA60 Jewel Blue
Jasmine S35
Squire Affinity Strat
Roland Micro Cube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Cry Baby

Ibanez GSR200FM