So I've painted the cavities of my epi lp with the shielding paint from stewmac. I don't understand much about electronics, but from what I can gather, I need to put a screw into the side of the control cavity and solder a wire connecting it to the back of one of the pots so its grounded. But I only have hand held screwdrives, so I can't seem to get the screw to go into the wood, especially at such an odd angle since the cavity is so small. Would it be possible to connect the grounding wire to a piece of metal and wedge that between the cavity cover and the lip where it meets the wood when I put the cover back on, or is that a stupid idea?

Also, I couldn't really paint in the channel that connects all the cavities where the pickup wires thread through. I managed to drip lines of shieling paint down both corners of the channel though, so at least there should be a connection. Is that going to be good enough to make a solid connection?
Ok, those problems are solved. Now my neck pickup has a metal braid around the wire, but I had it grounded to the back of one of my pots before. Is it going to cause problems if it touches the shielding paint, or is it ok? If it can't be touching the paint, would masking tape work to insulate it?
metal braid somehow has to come in contact with the ground circuit. if ur paint is grounded, it might be nice if u can connect it to that. pot casing is basically grounded through the shaft, so u'll be fine if u can solder it to the paint.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Well, it is going to be connected to the grounded pot shaft, what I'm worried about is that I have to snake it through the channel where it will be touching the places that I've shielded. Is it for it to be in contact with that too? It won't cause any shoots or unwanted connections?
well, if the braids are grounded through the pot shafts, and then the shafts are connected to the shielding paint, which is connected to the parts of the blind channel you shielded, then what do u think? would you think it would cause a short? hint: it's already connected.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Ok, thanks. I wasn't sure. I keep hearing about grounding loops and all sorts of other wiring problems, and I have no clue what I'm doing so I'm just assuming I'm going to screw it up.
eh that does happen. but i don't think it'd be that bad. after all, it's a humbucker. if you don't like it, just get some heat shrink tubes and insulate it.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard