So i have decided on getting one of the "budget" tubes which isnt a bad chocie i guess but heres the problem.im stuck between what i want its either i get a pod x3(would be useful for recordings and stuff with my band) or a budget tube.the ones im considering are so far just the b 52 because i played it and it sounded pretty good ,but ive heard it has reliability issues.Any other recommendations?im looking for a nice clean and overdrive tones.(think mainly hard rock,iron maiden,early metallica and pink floyd type tone's) i wont be doing anything really heavy but i do want it to be capable of some metal (with a od pedal or not) any recomendations?im looking for a head mainly that way i get a really nice cab and just upgrade heads and maybe get a "br00tal" metal head in the future.or should i just go with the pod x3?(my parents wont let me crank the amp much in my room,but ill still try and push it, but i would eventually need it for my band practice and possibly shows,so thats my problem)my budget is around 700 tops and im willing to go used.650 would be nice though.
a 5150 used head?... its way under your budget
Last edited by just17n8 at Nov 14, 2007,
Carvin MTS series.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
isnt the 5250 for metal mainly and hard rock?i heard the cleans arent that great though i gotta do mroe research on it.i want some cleans too.
Quote by TheIronTrooper
isnt the 5250 for metal mainly and hard rock?i heard the cleans arent that great though i gotta do mroe research on it.i want some cleans too.

Cleans on it are good as long as you don't have to turn it up too loud, then it starts to break up. Tube change will also make the cleans better.

Check out a Mesa F series amp F can do everything a 5150 can + more.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
any other suggestions?really that mesa is good?and well i want this amp to last me a pretty while so yeah....i want to be able to turn it up and make it sound even better i actually am considering the 5150 though as it can do death metal and i wouldnt have to buy another amp,but right now im not that much focused in my metal im more classic rock/hard rock atm but also play metal.