Page 1 of 3
ive decided to bring this to the pit, as it cant really go in the bands and artists forum, cause its not about a single artist...

so heres my question

why is kirk hammet so criticised(sp?) about his use of wah, when there are many guitarists who use wah a lot too, mainly zakk wylde, and no-one says anything, why is it so? i prefer to listen to kirks solo's than hearing zakk put next to no emotion into his playing and having a god awful tone, is there no justice in this world?
Zakk is bashed just as much (actually, probably a lot more)

oh and i hate people who say that one guitarist has more "emotion" than another...it's such a bullshit argument
Quote by Stephen Colbert
Ignorance is bliss. Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Is it odd that I get an erection every time RageAgainst... posts?

President of "Colbert Nation "
Quote by andyscoot
ive decided to bring this to the pit, as it cant really go in the bands and artists forum, cause its not about a single artist...

so heres my question

why is kirk hammet so criticised(sp?) about his use of wah, when there are many guitarists who use wah a lot too, mainly zakk wylde, and no-one says anything, why is it so? i prefer to listen to kirks solo's than hearing zakk put next to no emotion into his playing and having a god awful tone, is there no justice in this world?

If you haven't heard people criticizing Zakk Wylde for his overuse of wah, pinch harmonics and pentatonics, then you haven't really been looking all that closely.

Kirk hammett is criticized because he is one of the most well known guitarists. therefore lots of people know him and more people will dislike someone than like him. That's why there are so many people criticizing him.

And don't get me started on the emotion thing.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
They both get ripped on for pretty much the same reason which is a lack of imagination when it comes to solo's, although i'd say zakk is more guilty of that than Kirk.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Every guitarist is criticized. You're not going to find a single guitarist that people can't criticize. Oh and as for why Kirk is criticized, watch this. It's so funny!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5893760758901971713&q=REM+fire&total=131&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

Is that meant to be REM?

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
i thought the thread title said "Why is Kirk Hammet circumsized?"

needless to say, i was let down when i discovered the truth...
ehh
To be honest, I don't understand why he is criticized. In my opinion, he is alot better than Zakk. I love his style, and he uses the wah pretty well. Now, someone who I don't think uses the Wah well, is Kerry King.
MY GEAR:
Custom Flying V
Dunlop 535q
Marshall AVT HS
Kirk Hammet is criticized because he is hugely popular, and lots of people (especially young people) think it's cool and sophisticated to criticize hugely popular people.

/thread
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by andyscoot

so heres my question

well there are many guitarists that use wah, but kirk cant do one solo that dosent have wah. zakk uses it alot to but kirk acualy shows of and also he is great at guitar and very few people can be as good as he is, one last thing zakk hasnt been around for 24 years thats it, just my opinion
Quote by RageAgainst...
Zakk is bashed just as much (actually, probably a lot more)

oh and i hate people who say that one guitarist has more "emotion" than another...it's such a bullshit argument

sorry i worded it wrong, i dont get much from listening to his playing, it sounds like he isnt trying, like he's just making a half assed attempt at his solo's

EDIT:
Quote by Lemoninfluence
If you haven't heard people criticizing Zakk Wylde for his overuse of wah, pinch harmonics and pentatonics, then you haven't really been looking all that closely.

ive never heard anyone mention his use of wah, but with the emotion thing, like i said, i worded it wrong
Last edited by andyscoot at Nov 14, 2007,
1.Because Kirk lacks power to give a good song most of the time
2.Playing sucks live
3.Metallica is over-rated
4.wah wah use is unoriginal
5.James does soem of his solos for him
6.People say is one of the best guitarists
7.His playing skills are gained within 1 month and 2 days too me
8.Isn't really good
9.soloing for Metallica in the early days where guideline from Dave Mustine (don't believe me watch thesome kind of monster movie or something You will see)

Yeah,I'm ready for the Metallica fan boy bashing.
I know guys like kirk hammet and zakk wylde get criticised a lot but to me its all about the music. Whos cares if they dont do it the way you like. If there music rocks then dont worry about it. Dont worry about people that criticise him because obviously they dont understand the fact that his music rocks so just appreciate it. By the way metallica rocks and i would never criticise them and if you want to dont make a big deal of it.
Rock On
Quote by Cannibalwolf
2.Playing sucks live
8.Isn't really good
9.soloing for Metallica in the early days where guideline from Dave Mustine (don't believe me watch thesome kind of monster movie or something You will see)

Yeah,I'm ready for the Metallica fan boy bashing.

I want to hear you solo.

He is only human...

The only solos dave made for the no life'til leather demo which kirk used as guidlines for kill em' all .
Quote by Cannibalwolf
2.Playing sucks live
8.Isn't really good

what? the grateful dead use wah a lot. and they were insanely creative (actually inspired me to pick up guitar along with tony iommi and angus young)

Jack my swag
Last edited by gopherthegreat at Nov 14, 2007,
Quote by andyscoot

so heres my question

If you want my honest guess; Because he is popular.
Consider their genres when people rag on emotion. Why would anyone want to see Hammet play an emotional solo during Master Of Puppets and break down crying? His fans would throw bricks at him.
My stuff:
Gibson SG (for playability.......and looks)
Mexican Strat (for some reason i have two)
Hohner HW440G-TB Acoustic/Electric
whyd o people have to be original?

can people just play stuff because they like the sound of it?

when i play i dont go "oh **** i cant play that its not original"
Quote by count schizo
Consider their genres when people rag on emotion. Why would anyone want to see Hammet play an emotional solo during Master Of Puppets and break down crying? His fans would throw bricks at him.

that was a bad example for the song you chose

Jack my swag
Quote by andyscoot

so heres my question

Because you touch yourself at night.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Quote by gopherthegreat
that was a bad example for the song you chose

Do explain.
My stuff:
delete
Guitar:
Floyd Rose discovery series 3 (with speed loader bridge)
Gibson Les paul studio
Pedals:
Zoom G2.1U pedal
Amps:
vox valvetronix 50 watt
Dean "stack in a box" headphone amp
Last edited by unforgiven_hope at Sep 7, 2017,
I just have to say it is because he is just an untalented guitarist, I know several people who can play better that Kirk. Also I would just like to say metallica sucks, they pretty much have always sucked except for way back in the early days.
Quote by count schizo

since when is sadness/crying the only emotion?

hell even boredom is an emotion.

All players play with emotion, it is up to the listener to perceive that emotion (or even a completely different emotion). So when someone says 'they have no emotion' they're really saying 'I cant find it in this song'.

Quote by element4433
The reason people knock on Kirk is because he almost always uses the pentatonic scale when soloing. Some people get bored of hearing it, but I personally think he makes excellect music using it.
Quote by count schizo
Do explain.

listen to the solo in that song. to me it sounds very 'emotional'. i guess this proves that emotion is up to how someone interprets it.

Jack my swag
Quote by Lemoninfluence
since when is sadness/crying the only emotion?

hell even boredom is an emotion.

All players play with emotion, it is up to the listener to perceive that emotion (or even a completely different emotion). So when someone says 'they have no emotion' they're really saying 'I cant find it in this song'.

Meh if you put it that way then every freaking song has emotion in it and the entire argument against someone who supposedly doesn't show it is pointless and stupid.
My stuff:
Quote by Tcero12
I just have to say it is because he is just an untalented guitarist, I know several people who can play better that Kirk. Also I would just like to say metallica sucks, they pretty much have always sucked except for way back in the early days.
I personally think there have been pianists who can play better than Mozart, but would you call him talentless? Your logic is complete sh*t and invalid. Here is what you are saying.

Jonathan is a world-famous pole-vaulter. He goes to the olympics.

2 contestants place 1st and 2nd, and Jonathan is placed third, therefore, he has absolutely no skills, devotion or abilities for pole-vaulting.
Quote by count schizo
Meh if you put it that way then every freaking song has emotion in it and the entire argument against someone who supposedly doesn't show it is pointless and stupid.

exactly.

It's just an excuse that people who can't articulate their opinions use to say that they don't like a song.

Quote by element4433
Quote by gopherthegreat

what? the grateful dead use wah a lot. and they were insanely creative (actually inspired me to pick up guitar along with tony iommi and angus young)

......isn't the thread asking why kirk is crited? that is what I'm directing it too...
wah wah use is great but kirk doesn't use it good.
Quote by The Madcap
I personally think there have been pianists who can play better than Mozart, but would you call him talentless? Your logic is complete sh*t and invalid. Here is what you are saying.

2 contestants place 1st and 2nd, and Jonathan is placed third, therefore, he has absolutely no skills, devotion or abilities for pole-vaulting.

yup

there are many guitarists that are more talented than leslie west. he is still a good guitarist. that goes for kirk, too.

Quote by Cannibalwolf
......isn't the thread asking why kirk is crited? that is what I'm directing it too...
wah wah use is great but kirk doesn't use it good.

i thought you meant wah use in general. my mistake.

Jack my swag
Quote by TONY strat
I want to hear you solo.

He is only human...

The only solos dave made for the no life'til leather demo which kirk used as guidlines for kill em' all

If you think that thenyou know **** about Metallica's history.

Dude i could be Eddie Van H. and you wouldn't know .when you ask that it makes you look stupid cause you don't know who I'm and I bet that because I'm not as famous as kirk you think doesn't I'm not better. You have no proof of my skills so the best thing to do it be quiet and not look like a fool.
Quote by The Madcap

actually what I'm saying is that you go to clubs in almost any city and you can find a guitarist that plays just as well as he can. and your analogy is wrong, its more like jonathan is one of the best pole-vaulter and then is replaced by some who is less talented who gets the medal Jonathan should have instead.
Quote by gopherthegreat
yup

there are many guitarists that are more talented than leslie west. he is still a good guitarist. that goes for kirk, too.

i thought you meant wah use in general. my mistake.

Thats ok just a misunderstanding.
1.) Because you touch yourself at night
2.) Because he isn't that great
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
Quote by Tcero12
actually what I'm saying is that you go to clubs in almost any city and you can find a guitarist that plays just as well as he can. and your analogy is wrong, its more like jonathan is one of the best pole-vaulter and then is replaced by some who is less talented who gets the medal Jonathan should have instead.
You do realize that when also judging a guitarist's abilities, people inevitably will encounter subjective criteria?
well of course because if Kirk wasn't in Metallica he more than likely would not be criticized like he is, but I believe he doesn't deserve the fame he has.
well, Zakk and Kirk both use the same scales over and over, and don't really think outside of the box when it comes to making leads. They're both bashed about the same, but Zakk uses his wah much more than Kirk does. Zakk overdoes pinches, and he usually stays in the same position most of the time; at least Kirk moves around a little. The emotion argument is not a good argument to get into, because everyone interprets their music differently.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Page 1 of 3