Hey , new here and just thought i'd start some discussion. When i'm writing a riff for a song i'll just mess around and hear something i like and try make it up in my head what it will sound like and figure it out on guitar/bass/piano as i'm doing that but sometimes i could be sitting around the house bored and try some weird ways of writing riffs such as :

Flicking through a book , picking a random word and using the first letter in it that can be a chord or note. I do this a few times and try make something of it.

Another way i tried was doing a random sum on a calculater and using the answer like a tab.

both those ways have worked out at least once for me and so i thought i'd share them and ask people if they have any techniques they mess around with that ended up being useful ?
-Green Fig-
i write my riffs by tab also, so ill see a number somewhere and then use it to start a riff
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
It sounds like you're trying to hard to find inspiration, thats just my opinion.
I just play and let things come out. Usually I can conceive ideas in my head and just transfer them to the guitar, pretty much every song I've written was just a conception in my head.