Recently, I've just gone through a thread which said that Against me! has sold out. This is probably because they jumped to a major label. So I'm wondering, what is your deffentiton of a band selling out? Personally, I think no such thing exists. I mean, every one needs money which explains major label jumps, and unless that you have proof that a band changed their sound to appeal to a bigger crowd, a band could just be deciding to go in a different direction.

Thoughts?
I don't care what label a band is on or if they're played on the radio.

What most of us would call selling out is when a band changes how they sound for the mainstream listener.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
To me, not using the search bar is selling out.

*reported*
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
What element says, plus going against one's views to make some money. Which is why Against Me! suck. They were very anti-corporate, and then they went and sold out their beliefs.
brnh.bandcamp.com
If a band has moderate success without radio play (Bad religion...At least not here), and then changes their sound and joins the list of overnight successes, thats selling out. If Bad Religion went the way of American Idiot, that would be selling out.
Quote by RizzoWashburn
To me, not using the search bar is selling out.

*reported*

PWNED!!
Quote by kriscornella2@g
No. Argument if i hear fall out boy i get so angry i am more likely to kick someones ass than when i listen to iron maiden

Quote by GiantRaven
****ing Coheed freaks...

FREE WARPED TOUR TICKETS!!!
zune. i <3 my turd brown 30 gig.
Quote by I_Pwn
What element says, plus going against one's views to make some money. Which is why Against Me! suck. They were very anti-corporate, and then they went and sold out their beliefs.

That's it. Going against their ideals in favour of being successful.

And changing the way they sound, musically, to appeal to a different audience.

IMO, changing to a major label, but preserving all of your ideas and sounds from before changing, is not selling out.
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/westaussie/

Quote by StratPat

Quote by blacksabbath8
So I had to take a massive dump, and I went in the bassment. So it's been down there for a while and the stench is terrible and i think it's seeping into the floor.

Quote by sargasm
WHEN U DONT HAV A MOHAK ANEMOAR AND U BECOM A CONFORMITIST UR A SELOUT

OMGZ like ur totally rite
Quote by TheGuitarDreams
Ghandhi was the greatest shredder ever.

Quote by Siftings
Ian Mackaye confuses a shot of heroin with his insulin, and hilarity ensues.
JEEZ WHY RENT YOU ALL TR00 P0NX LIKE SARGASM?!!??!!

but honestly, i'm against major labels, and some indie labels too, just cause your name isn't Sony doesn't mean you're not Major, if you act like a major label (i'm looking at you, Victory!) then you're a major lebel, the term indie label is pretty moot.

thats why my friend started his own label with the idea of bringing back the indie in indie labels. and cause he realizes most indie labels and major labels only get whats hot and he doesnt care whats hot so he signs people with good music.

and he isn't a punk.

DIY isnt a punk thing.

edit: and you spelt definition wrong xD
Last edited by original=punk at Nov 14, 2007,
I plan on starting an indie label that signs all types of bands, as long as they make good music.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
I plan on starting an indie label that signs all types of bands, as long as they make good music.

A troo ponx label would sign bands that make bad music too