Could someone please explain this to me? (darkstar )

It's Algebra 2 and I fell asleep during my lesson, so I really didn't catch much of it.

But if someone could sum it up or explain- that'd be pretty sweet

Thanks guys
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
Last edited by TDKshorty at Nov 14, 2007,
What would you like to know?
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
um...end behavior of what? I'm in Calc 108 at college. What your asking kind of makes no sense. End behavior of a line as X approaches infinity? I need more info.
Quote by arowana1027
My wife plays my guitars fine, but my girlfriend has smaller hands, and she wants to learn how to play.
The assignment is as follows

"Describe the end behavior of the graph of the polynomial function by completing these statements:

f(x)-->? as X--> - (infinity symbol) and f(x) --> ? as X--> + (infinity symbol)
So let's say you have a function f(x) = x^3 - 5.

As you go along the x-axis, in the positive direction, when you plug in a value of x into f(x), f(x) is going to be a giant number, and it keeps getting bigger and bigger. In math, we say that "as x approaches infinity, f(x) approaches infinity."

However, when you go along the x-axis in the negative direction, when you plug in a value, f(x) is going to get smaller and smaller (i.e, more negative). So as x gets smaller and smaller, f(x) gets smaller and smaller. We say that "as x approaches negative infinity, f(x) approaches infinity."

Anything else you would like to know?
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
So let's say you have a function f(x) = x^3 - 5.

As you go along the x-axis, in the positive direction, when you plug in a value of x into f(x), f(x) is going to be a giant number, and it keeps getting bigger and bigger. In math, we say that "as x approaches infinity, f(x) approaches infinity."

However, when you go along the x-axis in the negative direction, when you plug in a value, f(x) is going to get smaller and smaller (i.e, more negative). So as x gets smaller and smaller, f(x) gets smaller and smaller. We say that "as x approaches negative infinity, f(x) approaches infinity."

Anything else you would like to know?

Prospectively I understand what you're saying but I can't think that "hey this is the problem and I know how to get the answer"

so my first problem is f(x)= -5X^4

so I know that if I was going up the X axis I would be going down etc etc

but do I graph or just say "as blah blah ..blah blah blah infinity"

like it goes up and gets closer to infinity and it goes down and stuff...gets smaller