I wan't to get new pickups for my Godin LG, it has a mahogany body and neck. These are the pickups i chose for playing metal, rock on this guitar:
-Air Norton
-X2N

Are these good pickup choices for this kind of guitar to play metal with?
Gear:
-Peavey VTM 120
-Godin Lg (Dimarzio Evo2 and Air Norton)
-Fender MIM Strat with hotrails
-Custom Tele
-Dean Hardtail USA
-Dean 79 USA
Yes those are good.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

X2N's are pretty loud, and I dunno how they would match up with an air norton. You might be best matching the X2N with an evolution.

X2Ns sound good, but a bit overkill, the dropsonic, evolution, or breed might be worth looking into.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
i Dont know i just might stick with the x2n.
Gear:
-Peavey VTM 120
-Custom Tele
-Dean Hardtail USA
-Dean 79 USA
What pickup would go well with the mahogany body?
Gear:
-Peavey VTM 120
-Custom Tele
-Dean Hardtail USA
-Dean 79 USA
I have an X2N and an Air Norton in my Jackson,,,and they are pretty well matched,,, Good choices indeed
Quote by LPstudioWRz28
emg 60/81 combo

+1

Or if you want to stick with Dimarzio, their D-Activators are pretty sweet for metal.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by edge11
get semour duncans sh4
sh1....i think

not the best for the tone he wants

btw, as already mentioned a new amp would change your sound much more than a set of pups
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by kelvov
+2

No!

89/81
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
new amplifier dude
that ones decent but it wont amke much difference if you use new pups on that
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
New amp. Especially with modeling amps, you wont see much difference in tone. I would save that $120-150 and put it towards a new amp.
Quote by mafropetee
+1

Or if you want to stick with Dimarzio, their D-Activators are pretty sweet for metal.

The D-activators are supposed to sound very bland, more so than the EMG 81/85s. But I guess thats OK for metal.

Not fully sure what they cost in the US, but Bare Knuckles are the best if you have a big budget.
whats the differences between the different kinds of EMGs
how is 81-60 better than 81-85 or 89-60 or w/e
Quote by berysLTD_h-50
whats the differences between the different kinds of EMGs
how is 81-60 better than 81-85 or 89-60 or w/e

well the 89 is like an 85 (with a very high output and very warm) but with a twist, it has a coil splitter, the 60 is hands down the best EMG pickup that does cleans.
A rig is like baking. You can have all the right ingredients(guitar), but if you cook it at 100(Bad Amp) degrees instead of 450(Good amp!), its gonna taste like ****.
Quote by Mur
I wan't to get new pickups for my Godin LG, it has a mahogany body and neck. These are the pickups i chose for playing metal, rock on this guitar:
-Air Norton
-X2N

Are these good pickup choices for this kind of guitar to play metal with?

Well, the X2N's the more important pickup to discuss. It has a brutal meaty midrange, and supposedly it has great sustain. Based on Harmony Central's reviews, the thing is even hotter than an EMG 81. If you are doing nothing but metal, that's great. I just wonder if you want some more clarity in your notes, as mud seems to come up often. A D-sonic or D-activator would be acceptable alternatives.

But yeah, first thing first, get a good loud amp. A Peavey 6150 or XXX (used) should do well. You may want to try Crates, as they're known for good loudness for the dollar (tone is an arguable point). The latter could be a combo...if you're going to do large venues you'd mike the speaker anyway. You can sacrifice the budget for the Air Norton for this amp or good distortion pedal.
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Nov 15, 2007,