Page 1 of 2
I am a 15 year old, who is selling my Father's(Moved to Texas) 1989 Ford F-250 Custom. The people at the chop shop offered me $200 !!! Here is the list of problems with the car that they say brings the price so low:

No Wiper Spray, No back up lights, Ignition lock cylinder, all coolent hoses, Front tires, Intake Leaking, Oil Cooler lines leaking, Oil pan gasket and oil pan leaking, Valve cover gasket leaking, Complete Exhaust system from engine back, rear Ujoints, all 4 shocks/ struts, Front Pads & Rotors (possible Calipers)

Now, there are alot of things wrong, and the vehicle has a little rust, but it only has 84,252 miles! I think they are taking me for a ride, What do the people of UG think?

BTW, the only thing custom on it is a big fiber glass thing on the back for tools, instead of a bed. Really nice ladder rack too.

Also, please no "Ford sucks! lololol" comments.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Go check in another garage and see what they say. Keep us updated. 200$ for a car is an insult.

EDIT:
Ford sucks! lololol
Ford sucks! lololol
Ford sucks! lololol
Ford sucks! lololol
Ford sucks! lololol
Ford sucks! lololol
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

thats way too low, im sure you could get more than 200 bucks for it in scrap metal alone

Quote by FireItUp714
thats way too low, im sure you could get more than 200 bucks for it in scrap metal alone

That's what I was saying...
Quote by urik
Go check in another garage and see what they say. Keep us updated. 200$ for a car is an insult.

I'm having it checked by another place on Friday.

I'll bring pics tommorow, if that helps...
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Seems they are trying to take you for a ride..

But whatever you do..get that intake leak looked at.
You dont wanna be inhaling carbon monoxide.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Pics?

Also, take it to another garage, or better yet, take it to the dealership and ask them to give it an inspection. It might cost a little bit, but it's better than getting completely ripped off.
Random Metal-X fact:

Metal-X now sponsors: Blood Culprit!

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

\m/^_^\m/ New Songs Up!!! \m/^_^\m/
Quote by CORT noob
Here is the list of problems with the car that they say brings the price so low:

No Wiper Spray, No back up lights, Ignition lock cylinder, all coolent hoses, Front tires, Intake Leaking, Oil Cooler lines leaking, Oil pan gasket and oil pan leaking, Valve cover gasket leaking, Complete Exhaust system from engine back, rear Ujoints, all 4 shocks/ struts, Front Pads & Rotors (possible Calipers)

Now, there are alot of things wrong, and the vehicle has a little rust, but it only has 84,252 miles! I think they are taking me for a ride, What do the people of UG think?

Phhh, like you actually need any of that stuff.

But seriously, that's no bad mileage.
Dude it's pushing 20 yrs old. At this point mileage really doesn't matter anymore. You could probably sell it outright for 500-750 bucks if you don't mind waiting for a buyer. You could probably part it out and get 1500 - 2000 bucks if you don't mind working for it. Scrap will bring you about 350.
Good luck man.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Washburnd Fretz
Seems they are trying to take you for a ride..

But whatever you do..get that intake leak looked at.
You dont wanna be inhaling carbon monoxide.

We keep the small windows open...

Sucked when I had to work with my dad though, waking up at 5 in the morning in March, going to west Chicago with all the windows open. Plus, I never had time to grab breakfast, and the exhaust smells a bit like french toast.

Edit: To jackal: Whats the difference between partsing it and Scraping it?
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Last edited by CORT noob at Nov 14, 2007,
200 way to low

I LOVE FORD
I LOVE FORD
I LOVE FORD
I LOVE FORD
Quote by Gunpowder
This article just proves that we should never underestimate the deadly potential of baked goods.

Quote by Gunpowder
This, my friends, is the quintessence of average Pit-goer's thought process & logic.

UG MISSILE BASE !
UG's Hate Crew group
Quote by joemunch66
200 way to low

I LOVE FORD
I LOVE FORD
I LOVE FORD
I LOVE FORD

You're a carpenter? This truck can hold alot of tools! Wanna drive 4+ Hours and come and get it?
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by CORT noob
We keep the small windows open...

Sucked when I had to work with my dad though, waking up at 5 in the morning in March, going to west Chicago with all the windows open. Plus, I never had time to grab breakfast, and the exhaust smells a bit like french toast.

Edit: To jackal: Whats the difference between partsing it and Scraping it?

Partsing (Is that the new word for it?), anyways it's where you sell the individual parts of the vehicle, like the engine or transmission. It's a good way to go if you have a lot of free time, cause it will take you a while to remove everything and even longer to fund a buyer.

Scraping is where you take it to a scrap yard, where they will recycle it. It's good if you need a little money really quick.
Random Metal-X fact:

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

Quote by Metal-X
Partsing (Is that the new word for it?), anyways it's where you sell the individual parts of the vehicle, like the engine or transmission. It's a good way to go if you have a lot of free time, cause it will take you a while to remove everything and even longer to fund a buyer.

Scraping is where you take it to a scrap yard, where they will recycle it. It's good if you need a little money really quick.

I've got until January, but I know nothing about cars. I can go see if the auto class at school will do it for free...
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by CORT noob
I've got until January, but I know nothing about cars. I can go see if the auto class at school will do it for free...

Doubt it, what's the reason for selling it?
Random Metal-X fact:

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

Quote by Metal-X
Doubt it, what's the reason for selling it?

Buy meself a car when I turn 16! Yay!

But, my school auto shop fixes student cars for free if they pay for the parts. I'm sure we could work out a deal.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by Jackal58
Dude it's pushing 20 yrs old. At this point mileage really doesn't matter anymore. You could probably sell it outright for 500-750 bucks if you don't mind waiting for a buyer. You could probably part it out and get 1500 - 2000 bucks if you don't mind working for it. Scrap will bring you about 350.
Good luck man.

I agree. Thats about what i would expect.
Quote by CORT noob
Buy meself a car when I turn 16! Yay!

But, my school auto shop fixes student cars for free if they pay for the parts. I'm sure we could work out a deal.

You should be a man and try to fix it up yourself.

It's what I had to do with my first vehicle.
Random Metal-X fact:

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

Quote by Metal-X
You should be a man and try to fix it up yourself.

It's what I had to do with my first vehicle.

No thanks... It's horrible on Gas. I needs something fuel efficient. Plus, I have no tools to replace those things.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

I asked this guy(Knows alot about cars) in my intro to construction class what I should do. He said to see what more chop shops would offer, then take off the ladder rack and back. Then, scrap it, and try to sell the ladder rack and back for a couple more hundred.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Some people may come by later and buy my car. If they buy it, my parents will lend me some money, and I'm looking to buy a '96 Chevy Lumina for $1000 or this white '89 dodge that says "turbo" on it for $1200. I'm going to take them to my mechanic to see which one is in better condition, or more worth the money, and hopefully buy one.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

First off, anytime you sell a vehicle to a business, be prepared to have to bargain as they will only give you about 40-50% of what you could get selling privately to another person. They want to buy it for cheap, fix it and sell it for profit.

Secondly, no matter how many miles something has, when all this is wrong with it it's not gonna be worth much. That's an easy $1500-2000 worth of repairs, if you do it yourself with parts you can salvage or get from a local store. Take it to a dealership or mechanic shop and you looking at an easy $3000 to get that truck in excellent condition, in which case being made in 1989 even with low miles you might be able to get $1500-2500 for it.

So no, they arent taking you for a ride. The truck needs repairs before they can do anything with it so they are going to offer a low buy price so they can save money.
Quote by CORT noob
Ignition lock cylinder, all coolent hoses, Intake Leaking, Oil Cooler lines leaking, Oil pan gasket and oil pan leaking, Valve cover gasket leaking,

Also, please no "Ford sucks! lololol" comments.

i'm suprised they would even consider taking the car. Problems like that need a pretty good overhaul. And if it has only 80,000 miles that's worse. They probably see a car with such relatively low mileage and so many problems as a lemon. You should definetly not have lines and gaskets leaking after 80,000
People need to read the whole thread before they post...

Anyways, I'm taking the Lumina and The Dodge to my Mechanic, and he'll give me a list of everything wrong with both of them. I'll bring it back to UG for you car experts to look at.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by CORT noob

Front tires? Lmao. Thats not a big deal its only like, 100 bucks for them both.

Front pads & rotors (calipers) thats jus the brakes, probably just the front brakes since i'm guessing the back two are using drum systems. My friend recently changed his pads for about $20. The rotor might need some shaving done. not to big of a problem. get a new oil pan/gasket. not very much. valve covers aren't so bad either.

your major problems would be your ignition system and possible the struts and shock absorbers. is it a single coil? check the exhaust manifold for any cracks. remove the heat shield first, and take a mirror and flashlight. if there are cracks, then weld it or just get a new mainfold. same goes with the intake manifold.

If possible, try to fix it yourself. the labor is the main problem.

I can get a price listing on that car monday. i'll look it up on the michell system website to see how much it's really worth, and i'll also ask my teacher. he's built 2 '65 mustangs from scratch (engine that is). so he should be really knowledgeable on fords.

FORDs FTW!
Quote by Lil Macker
I voted 9, cause I would only let my mum give me a handjob...

Quote by brennsy
SathiaSun for president

Un-Banned! Boy, does it feel great to be back.
Join the Bear Grylls Foundation group!
Last edited by SathiaSun at Dec 1, 2007,
Quote by SathiaSun
Front tires? Lmao. Thats not a big deal its only like, 100 bucks for them both.

Front pads & rotors (calipers) thats jus the brakes, probably just the front brakes since i'm guessing the back two are using drum systems. My friend recently changed his pads for about $20. The rotor might need some shaving done. not to big of a problem. get a new oil pan/gasket. not very much. valve covers aren't so bad either.

your major problems would be your ignition system and possible the struts and shock absorbers. is it a single coil? check the exhaust manifold for any cracks. remove the heat shield first, and take a mirror and flashlight. if there are cracks, then weld it or just get a new mainfold. same goes with the intake manifold.

If possible, try to fix it yourself. the labor is the main problem.

I can get a price listing on that car monday. i'll look it up on the michell system website to see how much it's really worth, and i'll also ask my teacher. he's built 2 '65 mustangs from scratch (engine that is). so he should be really knowledgeable on fords.

FORDs FTW!

The only thing wrong with the ignition is that you don't need a key to turn it on. You just turn the key slot. But, I already sold it. Gotta go get a new title tommorow, and transfer the names.
Quote by FRDesign
do it, what engine does it have

V8
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Ok my pitees. Now that my search has turned into shopping, I need some info on Dodge Daytonas. I googled, and aparently the one I have my eyes on is one of the turbocharged ones. I want to know if the Pit has any info.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

How much did you sell the ford for?

edit: goddamn prepositions at the end of my sentences
Quote by Chikitty_China
Good lord. You are amazing.

Quote by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
Quote by CORT noob
Ok my pitees. Now that my search has turned into shopping, I need some info on Dodge Daytonas. I googled, and aparently the one I have my eyes on is one of the turbocharged ones. I want to know if the Pit has any info.

A dodge Daytona with a turbo? If the engine is in any decent kind of shape , you could build a beast out of it.
well tbh, the truck isn't worth much. with that many problems, you can tell people how easy it is to fix, they won't pay much for it. If you fix it, then you might get a profit off of it. As for the Dodge Daytona that's "turbo", well personally I don't know TONs about domestics, as I don't like them, but if it's really a turbo, then drive it and listen for funny sounds, and worn components. Turbo's are driven hard. Ask about maintenence, which is paramount for turbos, and have a look at the overall condition of the car...if it's in s****y condition, the engine will be too. And about your truck, there's alot of things that turn into biiiig fixes. The brakes...might need new calipers, ignition, could be a new ignition system. Take what you can get for the truck, and thoroughly inspect the new car. Good Luck.
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
Quote by stratguy335
A dodge Daytona with a turbo? If the engine is in any decent kind of shape , you could build a beast out of it.

It's an '89. Mild Rust. Hopefully they'll let me test drive even though I'm only 15.

Quote by Miggy01
How much did you sell the ford for?

edit: goddamn prepositions at the end of my sentences

$350. My Parents will lone me the rest of the money, but I'm not allowed to use it without permission until I get a job and pay it off.

And, to the post Directly above mine, I'll try to drive it hard if he'll let me.

I can't wait to get a car though, this is the funnest time to drive (or lamest if you're a wuss). I drove with my mom for 2 hours today because I was having way to much fun hydro planing. Then, I was on a dirt road, where it snowed, got top layer shoveled off a little bit, then it rained, and froze, to become a solid block of ice. I couldn't get any faster than 30 miles an hour, because if I stepped on the gas, the spedometer would go up to 55 or 60, then I'd let go of the gas, and it would instantly drop back down to 30. I pressed the breaks going down a hill, and I went down the hill skidding sideways. My Mom's Stratus is pretty sweet.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Why turbo charge a ford when you can SUPER CHARGE! sure its more expensive, but i am a fan of Super > Turbo mainly because of the whole exhaust reusing thing. i think it'll cause grime build up in your cylinders.
Quote by Lil Macker
I voted 9, cause I would only let my mum give me a handjob...

Quote by brennsy
SathiaSun for president

Un-Banned! Boy, does it feel great to be back.
Join the Bear Grylls Foundation group!
Quote by FRDesign
What V8?

5.0L? (302ci)
5.7L? (351ci)

Not sure. Truck, and the paper that said that kind of stuff on it are gone now. It didn't have a very high top speed, maybe 60, 65 max. If it was fixed up and didn't have the huge thing on the back, it might have been able to sqeeze some power.

Good luck with the VJ, a very fine amp.
Quote by SathiaSun
Why turbo charge a ford when you can SUPER CHARGE! sure its more expensive, but i am a fan of Super > Turbo mainly because of the whole exhaust reusing thing. i think it'll cause grime build up in your cylinders.

Are my posts really that hard to read?
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

sorry if it appears i'm hijacking the thread, but would anybody mind directing to a "car only thread" or tell me if such a thread exists?

so TS, when you say you can't drive without permission until you pay for it 100%, does that mean like you can normally drive it you just have to listen to your parents when they don't want you to? or is it more of a special thing where you can only drive every once in a while? and who's paying for the insurance?

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Quote by MTVget0FFtheAIR
sorry if it appears i'm hijacking the thread, but would anybody mind directing to a "car only thread" or tell me if such a thread exists?

so TS, when you say you can't drive without permission until you pay for it 100%, does that mean like you can normally drive it you just have to listen to your parents when they don't want you to? or is it more of a special thing where you can only drive every once in a while? and who's paying for the insurance?

It's where I have to ask them before everytime I drive it. They will probably pay for most of the insurance, because they do pay for my brothers and my 21 year old sisters. But, then again they got free cars when they turned 16, as where I will not.

BTW test drove a '96 Chevy Lumina today(195,000 miles). Nice Acceleration, smooth driving. Kind of laggy brakes, but I think something was wrong with the brakes, because when I drove slow you could hear like a banging sound in the back, maybe the rotors?
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

^you want the breaks checked man. breaks come first to me. with crappy breaks, you're risking ur life. lame acceleration just pisses off people behind you. but what comes first? your life.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
^you want the breaks checked man. breaks come first to me. with crappy breaks, you're risking ur life. lame acceleration just pisses off people behind you. but what comes first? your life.

By the way, almost got in a car crash today, it was epic.

So, that Icy road I was telling you about the other day. I went back today, and all the ice was melted! Lame! So I'm headed home, and I come over a hill, and see that this whole side of the hill is solid ice, because the sun couldn't shine on that half of the steep hill! So, I'm doing about 45, and at the bottom of this hill is a stop sign, and an approaching car. So, I tap the brake to see how my traction is on this hill, and the wheels lock. I let go, and the wheels started spinning. Because of the alignment, when my moms wheels lock, the car goes to the left. So, I'm skidding down this hill towards traffic. I tap the break and slowly swerve my way over to the left to this one small square on the other side of the road without ice. My mom is screaming by the way... And, I worked myself over to the square, and since the wheels are locked, it made a cool squealy noise and smelt of burnt rubber. Man, Icy roads are fun.

But yes, brakes are important, but they are usually cheap so I'd be able to get them fixed pretty easily.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Wow, 195,000 miles, is it just me or is that ALOT?

My ford only has just over 44,000
Quote by Hakanku
Wow, 195,000 miles, is it just me or is that ALOT?

My ford only has just over 44,000

That's alot, but for a grand, I'd say it's still a good deal. I'd probably offer them $800 because I'm cheap.

Don't really want a 4 door though, expecially one that roomy. Don't want to drive people around.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Page 1 of 2