My band tunes to drop c. My friend keeps telling me it will bow the neck and that i need to take it somewhere to get it adjusted or my neck will bow. Would it be ok if i just bought heavier gauge strings? It has a standard tremolo on it if that matters. Thanks in advance
Quote by jacob23
My band tunes to drop c. My friend keeps telling me it will bow the neck and that i need to take it somewhere to get it adjusted or my neck will bow. Would it be ok if i just bought heavier gauge strings? It has a standard tremolo on it if that matters. Thanks in advance

i use heavy gauge strings. no neck problems here
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
To do it properly you should either have your guitar adjusted or adjust it accordingly. heavier strings or not, it will change the shape of the neck. this is not permanent, nor is it damaging, but it does change the guitar plays.
I would also assume that the guitars aren't ever any higher correct? It is constant tension changes that bow the kneck. If you tune straight to drop C, there is less tension on the neck than E as it is, so avoid any oter tuning higher than C and you should be fine. I know I keep my ESP F-50 in drop C at all times, my Warlock in drop D and my acoustic between drop C and drop D, and I haven't noticed any major bowing or changing in the play of the guitar.
The neck won't bow because of anything but humidity issues, and not even then on an electric.

Heavier strings probably would help as far as playability goes, they require more tension to reach the same pitch as 9's or 10's, so your strings won't feel as slack and soupy as they would downtuning light strings. Which will make you intonate better because you won't get as many unintentional bends. If you change your string gauge drastically enough on a floating trem you might need to add a string and check your intonation and truss rod though...
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

Fender MIM J-Bass Fretless
Dude, I use .009 guage Rotosound strings....Im tuned down to Drop-C and my neck is as straight as my nob.

Which is straight.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
i didn't even use very thick strings, i use thinish ones, but tuning down didn't hurt the guitar at all, your friend doesn't know what he/she is talking about

Quote by DieGarbageMan
When having sex i realise my penis is of small nature.

Quote by gavz_verdikt
There is a box below Private Messages and right of Log Out.
I think the TS will know what to do next