Well, I am planning on picking up an Ibanez SR505 in the future once I get a job and upgrade my amp. I played an SR500 and really liked the tone. I was wondering how the SR505 would hold up in an environment like thrash metal? Is that Low B nice and tight? I really liked the tone of the SR500. How's the quality of the SR505. Will it be reliable in a gig?

Post Away
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez
If you're wanting to play thrash, go with an Ibanez SRX model. I have a SRX390, it has some pretty awesome stock pickups, perfect for metal

check em' out

http://www.ibanez.com/bass/series.aspx?s=srx
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Last edited by CLIFF_BURTON at Nov 15, 2007,
Im gonna be getting Sr505 as soon as I have the money, it's almost perfect for want I want, I play normal metal and rock, nothing goes near Thrash though.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
IMO, you should try out the SR505 in a local store and see how you like it.

It is very similar to the 500, as it's basically the same with an extra string. So it's got the same quality, same great electronics, a great neck.

In terms of the "tightness" of the B-string, you can always change that yourself - factory setups aren't permanent or anything. I found the B-string to be quite taut.

I don't see why you couldn't use the SR505 for thrash, or any other bass for that matter. You can pull off any genre on most basses, but most people are put off from playing metal with a "jazzy" looking bass, and go for a BC Rich or ESP just because they "look" metal.

That being said, the SRX series basses are alright, but not great. From my limited experience with an SRX500, it just seemed like a "rougher" feeling SR bass that looked more intense because of the exposed pole pieces.

Go with the SR505.

Quote by ChemicalFire
Im gonna be getting Sr505 as soon as I have the money, it's almost perfect for want I want, I play normal metal and rock, nothing goes near Thrash though.

Okay, that didn't help at all.

Also, what do you consider "normal" metal?
Last edited by Charlatan_001 at Nov 15, 2007,
To be honest, I'm not sure...

To add to what I said, I love the Sr series, ever since I tried a friends Sr200, I have then tried one at every possible time and I love 'em. I am looking for a 5 string so I think the Sr505 is a perfect step foward.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Yeah. All your posts help. I liked the nice punchy sound the pickups gave on the SR500 and since the guitarist wants to tune down pretty low and I like my Jazz Bass the way it is I thought "I'm getting a fiver". I liked the Pickstyle tone the pickups gave but they also gave a nice fingerstyle tone.
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez