Hey guys,

I've been playing for a few years, but acoustic, for some reason, and I'm finally getting around to buying an electric. I'm trying to spend between 300-500 on a guitar but I could go higher if it's worth it. I was originally thinking just a simple fender strat, but then I looked into the Schecter, Ibanez, ESP, etc guitars some of which seem to have superior pickups, like some Schecter c-1 guitars have genuine duncan pickups, one version has a JB/'59 and some other ones have duncan designed active ones. Then of course you have the ESPs and other Schecters etc. with EMGs.

It just seems like a lot of people replace the stock pickups, and that seems like a waste of money, so I'm trying to buy something with good pickups. I want to play a little of everything, except no country, so diversity is important, but honestly if I had to choose one aspect over any else that I want to rock, it would be crazy mad solos. Basically what do I need to sound like this guy:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1876978251448182550

How does he get some of those notes to scream like that? Is he using some pedal? That's actually the amp I'm going to buy, coincidentally.

Obviously when I get some time I'm gonna go to a guitar store and play around BUT knowledge is half the battle (thanks GI Joe) so, please, help guys!!!
fender deluxe players strat 600$ has noiseless pups, superb.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

But really, asking the pit for relationship advice is like asking a girl with braces for a blowjob. Ouch.

Quote by Lil Macker
i first masterbated when i was... 10, i think
or was it 9...
yeah 10
and i'm catholic, don't tell the pope, i'll be holy watered
I own a schecter c1 XXX and its really good. it was like $540 at guitar center and its really good for rock music. The 24 jumbo frets helps out a lot with solos and stuff too. I would go with a schecter...
you could role play and say "hello hermione, would you like me to put my wand into your chamber of secrets?!"

Quote by happytimeharry

"Honey, would you like cake or pie for dessert?"
"UNDECIDED!!!"

Original Lyrics:
Not Crawling Back
how about an esp fx-400. x-plorer looks with a killer natural look. and emgs! i think its around 600 or an esp F series those have freakin hardcore gnarled looking cutaways and they come in aaaalllll different types of setups.
Scheter with Floyrd Rose and EMG's
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
well, most of those guitar companies suck. so lets start there. ibanez.... sucks. schecter..... some good things but overall sucks. ESP.... allright but you can do better. gibson faded SG, garunteed to like... or you just dont have ears
Go play some in guitar center. It's all personal preference. I love my schecters but hate Gibson and fender.
I hate people. Especially black people.
Quote by sobeisbull
well, most of those guitar companies suck. so lets start there. ibanez.... sucks. schecter..... some good things but overall sucks. ESP.... allright but you can do better. gibson faded SG, garunteed to like... or you just dont have ears

Alot of people say the Gibson Faded SG sucks. What is wrong with Ibanez and ESP?
Quote by kazza2ud
Hey guys,

I've been playing for a few years, but acoustic, for some reason, and I'm finally getting around to buying an electric. I'm trying to spend between 300-500 on a guitar but I could go higher if it's worth it. I was originally thinking just a simple fender strat, but then I looked into the Schecter, Ibanez, ESP, etc guitars some of which seem to have superior pickups, like some Schecter c-1 guitars have genuine duncan pickups, one version has a JB/'59 and some other ones have duncan designed active ones. Then of course you have the ESPs and other Schecters etc. with EMGs.

$569: ESP H-500 with Seymour Duncans and a five way switch.
$450: Schecter C-1 Artist with those same pickups and switch. Just no maple top (go with a Classic if you want that)
$500: Ibanez S320, if you want to sacrifice pickups for a good Floyd Rose system. There are multiple fixed bridge RGs also to consider (RG321, RG2EX1, RG4EX1)
$350 SA260FM, if you want the versatility of a H-S-S configuration and a more standard tremolo. Still less than a Strat. There are SZ varieties if you want a fixed bridge.
There are also Epiphone SG's, but I find their necks too slow for shredding...it really depends how finicky you are for thicker painted necks.

In general, I'd go for a fixed bridge, unless you want to learn something brand new off the bat. Even with experience with acoustics, the transition is abrupt considering how easy strings are to press and skinny the necks are.

Quote by kazza2ud

It just seems like a lot of people replace the stock pickups, and that seems like a waste of money, so I'm trying to buy something with good pickups. I want to play a little of everything, except no country, so diversity is important, but honestly if I had to choose one aspect over any else that I want to rock, it would be crazy mad solos.

Amps are the majority of the tone battle. Then woods (bodies and fingerboards), then pickups. So yeah, replacing stock pickups is usually a waste of money...it's more for a different subtlety of character not for a dramatic difference. In any case, you'd want a pickup does not mud up, ie will make your notes clear. It helps when practicing anyway. Both sets you've mentioned above are good...Dimarzio's also a good brand not to ignore. Many virtuoso guitar players, whose livelihood depends on clear notes, rely on them.

Quote by kazza2ud

How does he get some of those notes to scream like that? Is he using some pedal? That's actually the amp I'm going to buy, coincidentally.

Obviously when I get some time I'm gonna go to a guitar store and play around BUT knowledge is half the battle (thanks GI Joe) so, please, help guys!!!

It's just pinch harmonics. Search it on Youtube for good lessons.
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Nov 15, 2007,
dude i have an epi lp and its honestly one of the best guitars ive played..i just got it and haventeven changed the strings yet..yoou can adjust it too for mostly any style
Quote by sobeisbull

That's just outright dumb to say...

It depends on what you are looking for in a guitar,
- Neck type
- Pups
- Scale / Frets
- Wood type (for the overall sound)
- Bridge (to floyd or not to floyd)

And gibson ain't all that either after some...uhm...357.890 reissues of the les paul
Gear
- ESP Ltd Viper-200
- Peavey Valve King 212

Quote by DC METAL666
You know you're a guitar player when you finger your fretboard more than your girlfriend
he needs versatility.

schecter c-1 classic with jb in bridge and 59 in neck.

perfect for u.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by sobeisbull

u suck
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by macaroni
u suck

kudo's :P
Gear
- ESP Ltd Viper-200
- Peavey Valve King 212

Quote by DC METAL666
You know you're a guitar player when you finger your fretboard more than your girlfriend