I am looking at buying a new amp. I will have about $800 to spend, will spend more if there is something noticeably better for a little more.

I have a Ibanez RG2550 prestige and love to do pinch harmonics. I am wondering if a tube amp will be better or worse then a SS for them, while still keeping a tight distortion sound. Can anyone tell me?? I will be going to a local store to try some out, but you cant give them all a good shot from a trip to the store.

I am undecided as to what I want. (combo vs. half stack, tube vs. ss) I have read that tubes are not good for home use, due to the fact you cannot adjust the volume good when you have to be quiet. I do not gig, I just want something real good for the house. I have read SS have a tighter, cleaner distortion. I like distortion for my pinches but, I am not into heavy metal. I like more classic rock or even a little heavier.

I guess the ultimate sound I am looking for is something I can keep on 1 channel, and without using pedals be able to get a real tight distortion for pinches, (Steve Stevens) but not have a sloppy sound when I ring out 1 string then pluck another.

So after reading all that, do you think I would be better off with a tube or SS?

Thanks very much in advance.
i have a behringer V-Tone GMX 212, and it does the job for home practice, for practice with the band and small gigs. It's an SS amp, and it does have a very good tone for the quieter settings, but when you really crank it for gigs, it doesnt sound quite as good, which is true for most SS amps. But if you dont gig, then a tube amp would probably be the way to go. And yes, this amp brings out the pinch harmonics exquistely (sp)
Quote by NGD1313
I cen lyk spel reel gud. I came n 2nd n da spelling b, sum dumb 4en kid beet meh.
I think the pinch harmonics have more to do with your pups than the amp, though definately they are much easier on a SS amp, I can do them easily through my deville (tube) with my friends guitar (EKG pups). SS amps are good cuz you can crank the gain w/o knocking down the house, I think they sell something (like a pedal)(possibly called an attenuator???) that you can use with a tube amp that will allow high gain w/o high volume output. (some) Orange amps come with that built in but those are like $2000+. I want one sooo bad thouhg. lol. good luck.
Quote by wyantsm
I think the pinch harmonics have more to do with your pups than the amp, though definately they are much easier on a SS amp,

That's just wrong. SS amps are not better for pinch harmonics.
Wow... where to start.

I have read that tubes are not good for home use, due to the fact you cannot adjust the volume good when you have to be quiet. I do not gig, I just want something real good for the house.

You can always pick up an attenuator. Check out what THD has to offer. You put it in the amps effects loop. Allows you to get that power tube saturation while at bedroom levels.

I have read SS have a tighter, cleaner distortion.

Not sure where you read that. Most SS amps tend to have more gain than anyone needs. This isn't true for EVERY SS amp, but the more you crank the gain the muddier it usually sounds.

Quote by wyantsm
...they are much easier on a SS amp

Dude I just picked up a Mesa F50 today for $700 and my parents and all are , excuse my language, bitches about volume so I can ONLY play at "bedroom" levels while theyre home. Even at minimum volume this thing rips man.

I would really recommend this amp...
Thanks for all the help guys.

I think I am going to go with the Peavey Valve King.

I heard a good demo on youtube. Me and my friend are going to look at some amps on Sunday. I am still undecided if I want the combo amp or the half stack. They are the same head unit right? If so how much better are the speakers in the half stack and is the sound difference going to be noticeable? Is it worth it for the halfstack?

Thanks again guys.
Quote by ASGTrace
Dude I just picked up a Mesa F50 today for $700 and my parents and all are , excuse my language, bitches about volume so I can ONLY play at "bedroom" levels while theyre home. Even at minimum volume this thing rips man.

I would really recommend this amp...

Another convert!

Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com