What up, i am looking to buy a new guitar sometime over the summer when im around the house to play it, since i am currently away at college.

I was looking at a few guitars already: 1.Ibanez Rg1570 2.Ibanez Rg2550E 3.Gibson Les Paul Stuido Plus 4.Schecter C-1 classic.

anything i would get would be a step up from my DX10D.

itd be helpful if you could either suggest the ones ive mentioned above or mention another one that would be in the price range. I was also looking at some Jacksons but i have no clue which one.

*have not played any of them yet i just wanna kno which to look for and not bother with the inferior ones*

thanks.
jackson soloists have set necks
dinkys are bolt on
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Jackson DK2S, pretty awesome, sustainic pickup in it is great.
Quote by NGD1313
I cen lyk spel reel gud. I came n 2nd n da spelling b, sum dumb 4en kid beet meh.
What amp do you have? What effects? What other guitars? What styles do you play? What tones do you admire? Respond, and we'll be able to help more.
my bad, its 1000-1500 Us dollars.

i want a guitar with a variety of sounds, and i only have a Marshall 30 DFX. its ok i guess.
My personal prefrence is Gibson SG, but I am not big on whammy bars. If you dig a floyd, then a high end Ibenez or Jackson would be what you're looking for. I have played a couple of lesser-priced schecters, and they are quality made. Just give us more info.

PS. Parkers are also nice.
leave me alone, please.
love like the mellow tones but you kno it changes with mood and what not so id like to get at least some decent dark sounds out of it. as for the effects i only have two pedals which would be Boss Eq and Boss OS-2 but i dont really use them.

Mostly the tone i admire is buckethead, his mellow ones and some of vai's.

Edit: and pickups really dont matter too much since id prolly change them. not right away but you kno after a year or so of having it.
Last edited by frankiej1 at Nov 15, 2007,
Quote by frankiej1
What up, i am looking to buy a new guitar sometime over the summer when im around the house to play it, since i am currently away at college.

I was looking at a few guitars already: 1.Ibanez Rg1570 2.Ibanez Rg2550E 3.Gibson Les Paul Stuido Plus 4.Schecter C-1 classic.

anything i would get would be a step up from my DX10D.

itd be helpful if you could either suggest the ones ive mentioned above or mention another one that would be in the price range. I was also looking at some Jacksons but i have no clue which one.

*have not played any of them yet i just wanna kno which to look for and not bother with the inferior ones*

thanks.

How about two guitars, one less expensive (probably a fixed bridge so it won't eat up your time) meant for college, and one that's in your lower price range? Either that, or block off your DX10D's tremolo so you won't get headaches in the future.

Do the same thing for amps (though you should go for a multi-effects unless you want to do live concerts/wake up the dorm, and obviously don't buy a second amp if you like the tone you get from what you have already).

I'm guessing you like the fast stuff, so I'd go for skinnier necked stuff, which cuts out the Les Paul. You may want to try out ESP's guitar lineup...both the LTD and Standard models. Folowing my previous advice, in your situation I'd go for an ESP M-1000 for home and an Ibanez RG321 for college. $999 + $280 = $1180 aka well in your budget to afford awesome multi-effects.
Sorry but i hear you are away from college and that you have a Marshall 30 DFX. I would NEVER EVER spend that money on a guitar knowing im not gonna get to enjoy it as much. And your amp it ok but IMO, it wont give you more the full true sound of a 1500 guitar.

Get something half of that. And ESP LTD Ec's, H's or M's. Lesser priced schecters like astrocreep71 said.

Its just a financial opinion.

EDIT: And/or plan to get a new amp with the remaining 300-800
If you have $1500 for a guitar, and you're playing through an MG, there's a few issues to address.

First of all, a $1500 guitar through that amp will sound the same as the crappy starter guitar you have now. I would advise spending some of that money on the amp.

Are you into higher or lower gain things? With $1500, you could get a nice guitar AND a nice amp, and the entire rig would sound much much better.
Out of those I'd say the ibanezes. However, I think the schecter would be the most versatile. That's just me though.
Truthfully, if you are able, look around at some shops. Definately check out Ibenez, sounds like what you're going for. Take my advice though, you are going to be investing in a definitive tool of your expression. Every guitar has a "feel" to it. It can be the same model, same year, yet different. Sample as many different guitars that you can. You may be surprised by a certain one that "attaches itself to you".
leave me alone, please.
you make a good point spin surf. i dont think ill spend the top (which is 1500)

since i suck at the tech behind guitar, which you will probably flame me for but its understandable.

high gain stuff gets rather noisey for me since you kno i only have a marshall 30 and a rather crappy guitar. so i stick to the lower gain or the over drive on my pedal even tho its not that good, its gets me by.

i know i will obviously try out the guitars ive heard praised and reccomended by others so i will gain an idea of the feel
Last edited by frankiej1 at Nov 15, 2007,
Quote by the.spine.surfs
If you have $1500 for a guitar, and you're playing through an MG, there's a few issues to address.

First of all, a $1500 guitar through that amp will sound the same as the crappy starter guitar you have now. I would advise spending some of that money on the amp.

Are you into higher or lower gain things? With $1500, you could get a nice guitar AND a nice amp, and the entire rig would sound much much better.

Thats the way to go. In fact I would put more thought into the amp than the guitar.
ive spent the past couple months with my american strat and only a roland 10 watt cube (the crappy one) instead of my valve jr. Ill tell you what, ill never let my VJ out of my playing again!
Gear:

American Strat
Epiphone Valve JR head - Volume Mod'ed
Custom 1x12 with Private Jack speaker
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss DS-2 Distortion
Boss MT-2 MetalZone
Ebow

Gretsch Acoustic
ive always had a gruge about fenders, since most of them have that twangy sound to them..absoulty hate it.

deff lookin at a tube amp now, played long enough to know that id want a smooth OD over dist. even tho im a fan of marshalls.
Quote by frankiej1

high gain stuff gets rather noisey for me since you kno i only have a marshall 30 and a rather crappy guitar. so i stick to the lower gain or the over drive on my pedal even tho its not that good, its gets me by.

i know i will obviously try out the guitars ive heard praised and reccomended by others so i will gain an idea of the feel

This is a bit off the subject, but I have a sh itt y acoustic guitar that I overpaid to obtain. The action sucks. I use this axe to learn to play anything I learn. After I master my lesson on this crap guitar, no matter what I am forced to work with, I come out making everything seem like I'm buttering toast.

I guess my point is, take $35-50 and buy an old acoustic at a pawn shop to train on.
leave me alone, please.
Quote by frankiej1
ive always had a gruge about fenders, since most of them have that twangy sound to them..absoulty hate it.

deff lookin at a tube amp now, played long enough to know that id want a smooth OD over dist. even tho im a fan of marshalls.

Hmm, maybe you should give them another try. I really love my HSS Strat, and I wouldnt say its twangy at all. Thats fine though if thats not your thing. I think you would really like a Schecter c-1 Classic. They are great sounding, versatile, and comfortable(and they look pretty nice too).

A palomino would suite you well. I swear by my Valve Junior though. Its my favorite amp while playing at home.

I would say C-1 Classic, Valve Junior and various pedals(TS9, EQ, Reverb, ect....) to customize your sound.
Last edited by thefrigginbob at Nov 15, 2007,
astrocreep, thats what i have now while im at college.
i mean its not a crappy acoustic guitar but it gets the job done. its an alverez and it cost like 150 i think, i love it to death tho. getting my fingures nice and strong.
With $1500 I'd have a Dean Hardtail and be real happy about it.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Well, for me, I'm actually looking at the PGM301 and a custom carvin.

You should too.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
America standard fat strat with a dimarzio breed in the bridge... and a valvetronix of some sort.

Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

I would recommend a Carvin. A custom DC400 well loaded would be around $1,200-$1,500. Quite a few of the options are kinda pointless (coiltap, phase switch, stainless frets).

If you're going to college, I would recommend something like a POD and some headphones. You don't really need an amp.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
I would recommend a Carvin. A custom DC400 well loaded would be around $1,200-$1,500. Quite a few of the options are kinda pointless (coiltap, phase switch, stainless frets).

If you're going to college, I would recommend something like a POD and some headphones. You don't really need an amp.

stainless steel frets will NOT wear out (or at least wont wear out as soon), you will never need a refret, now I dunno about you, but 1500 bucks is a lot to spend on a guitar, in 10 years I want it to play like it was meant to play, not to have to spend 200 bucks on new frets, and the coil taps are very useful when you're trying to get a nice twangy clean sound and for playing lighter stuff too.
Quote by frankiej1
my bad, its 1000-1500 Us dollars.

i want a guitar with a variety of sounds, and i only have a Marshall 30 DFX. its ok i guess.

well by variety you can mean a lot of things. an HSS strat would be awesome, rly awesome if you like heavy but you like a lot of awesome cleans. and an LP would be great if you want good cleans but you lean more towards awesome heaviness
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by Eric 666
stainless steel frets will NOT wear out (or at least wont wear out as soon), you will never need a refret, now I dunno about you, but 1500 bucks is a lot to spend on a guitar, in 10 years I want it to play like it was meant to play, not to have to spend 200 bucks on new frets, and the coil taps are very useful when you're trying to get a nice twangy clean sound and for playing lighter stuff too.

I'm sure the dunlop frets are just fine, and coil taps don't sound that much better than the standard humbuckers.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
God loves a Fender Reverb. There's quite a selection of nice Deluxe's and Bassman's in your range.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Definately the RGT220A

Thru neck

24 frets

Kinda-dimarzio pickups (sound way better than INFs)

Edge Pro

Japan (Team J Craft) made in Fujiwara, or Furigana or whatever the factory's called.

I have the now discontinued RGT220H, which is just the mahogany version of that guitar, and it kicks tons of ass. Like tons.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/