I recently got a epiphone les paul, and a vox ad50vt. Now I like the epi, but to be frank, it sounds quite bad with the vox amp. I'm not sure if it's the amp, or the crappy stock pups in the epi, or perhaps both. But anyway, I'm thinking about selling the amp and getting an all valve combo. Also, I'm going to replace the pups around christmas, but anyway, the question is:

do les pauls sound good in the fender amps? Specifically, I was looking at the blues juniors or perhaps even a deluxe reissue if i can find a nice price used. Or would you suggest going for something else?

I do play mostly rock and blues and pretty much anything in between. Not so much metal.. but you know, lots of styles.
Last edited by lemonsquares42 at Nov 15, 2007,

Yeah, I guess my post gave me away. Great job there, Sherlock.

Anyways I recommend changing the stock pickups and upgrading your amp (a valve fender would be great).
Are you done? Or should I sit through another half-assed and uninventive insult?
i think the real question is are YOU done? there must be some insecurity lying inside you to take that last comment as an insult. i was simply baffled at that feeble attempt to insult my intelligence. you really need to get some pussy my friend.

moving on. threadstarter, epiphones come with really terrible electronics(pots, caps, etc) so its probably why its sounding so raw. that and the ads have bad speakers. you could simply just "trade up" to a fender twin or whatever. definitely replace the electronics in your guitar though.
Quote by TehJermie
i think the real question is are YOU done? there must be some insecurity lying inside you to take that last comment as an insult. i was simply baffled at that feeble attempt to insult my intelligence. you really need to get some pussy my friend.

Ahh, there it is. Not only is it another blatant and uninventive insult, but now he's giving me advice on my sex life. He also asked whether or not I was in 3rd grade...
I'm not sure where he's going with this.
Quote by srv2112
Ahh, there it is. Not only is it another blatant and uninventive insult, but now he's giving me advice on my sex life. He also asked whether or not I was in 3rd grade...
I'm not sure where he's going with this.

yes, and bitching and moaning how everything directed at you is uninventive is very inventive. and i was serious when i asked you if you were in the 3rd grade. seeing as your wit is on par with that of a remedial 8 year old.

i stand by what i said, get laid.
Quote by TehJermie
yes, and bitching and moaning how everything directed at you is uninventive is very inventive. and i was serious when i asked you if you were in the 3rd grade. seeing as your wit is on par with that of a remedial 8 year old.

i stand by what i said, get laid.

Quote by TehJermie

First off, nice contradiction. Secondly, telling someone to "get some pussy" is probably the best way to say that you're a virgin.
There's nothing wrong with being a virgin anyways. My current girlfriend is a virgin and wants to wait until we're in college. I'm fine with that.

oooo, so you can make my quotes red and then spout off nonsense that makes no point. youre terrible at strawmans.

the only people who get offended by people telling them to get pussy are people who cant get it. then you go and make up some nonsense about your girlfriend to protect your ego.

just like every other inept wannabe smart-ass forum troll. not to dust off an old cliche, but you bore me.

nexttttttt.
ok stop the arguing its pointless because u probably live thousands of miles from each other so nothing is going to get done. so why not just drop it, and move on to another thread where u both dont make an ass out of ur selves. not trying to sound rude, but neither of u are acting very mature.

oh and to be helpful to the thread so it dont seem like im mindlessly flaming. check out a classic 30 it will do the rock side better than a fender amp, but not as clean. so just check out a classic 30/palomino V32/fender twin
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
im not gettin in this argument i was just trying not to have a huge fight on here. becasue its not gonna solve anythign.

well u both are talking about being serious

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Come on. Nothing that happens on a forum matters. He kept telling me to get laid for some reason, so I was egging him on to further understand the mentality of someone who was most likely sexually assaulted at a young age. But whatever, I'm getting bored now. I think I'll go finish my homework. Bye Jermie, you are a good friend indeed! Good luck with telling everyone to get laid!

And once more, for emphasis:

lol ok. im leaving have fun

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
What the fuck was that?
Quote by Dirge Humani
Quote by Grundy0
Do you have any idea what your talking about? Because i can't understand half of what your saying and i think you are possibly clinically insane
Welcome to The Pit.

^
not sure man

But anyways, I've played a les paul (gibson) through a blues junior and loved it. If you upgrade all the electronics, it will most likely sound really good

Just try before you buy though
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
I have also played mine through a Blues Jr and it sounded great.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Drop the bitching.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Of course, a LP through a fender tube would sound great. As everyone else has said though^ upgrade the electronics in your epi, it will make a huge difference in sound.
^ warned.

I said drop it.

EDIT: deleting your post won't make the warning go away.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
I've played dual humbucker guitars through my Super Reverb plenty times, it works quite well, a friend's Epiphone Les Paul sounds great but the neck is too fat for me. My Cort CL1500 and Wasburn BT 2 both do a great job, the Cort has gotten more compliments than any other guitar I have. One guy wanted me to play it all the time he thought it sounded so good...So yeah, your Epi should work through a Fender amp just fine. Any tube amp for that matter...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
A les paul through a Super Reverb or Twin would sound great. Thicker, deeper tone than a Strat.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Okay, thanks for the help guys. I'll probably replace the electronics first, and then bring my guitar over to the store and just try out some 15 or 20w combos and see what sounds best with the pups.

Thanks again.

Strange how quickly this post got out of hand : (
i think this pic fits nicely in this thread

seriously, that was a weird argument that got a bit out of hand...

anyway TS, i'd get a BJ over a blues deluxe.
the blues deluxe is way to loud for my purposes, and the price/quality ratio isn't as high as with the BJ IMO.
they sound great together. i'd recommend going w/ a blues jr over the deluxe reverb. if you play in your bedroom mostly, cause you'd have to crank the DRRI for overdrive cause it doesn't have a master volume. also, for the bj, you'd probably want to upgrade the tubes to jj's or similar because the stock sovtek's get harsher sounding the louder they get. you could get a ready to go kit at eurotubes.com for $50.
Member #4 of The Fulltone Users League
Member #68 of the EHX Users Guild

You Would
More warning have been dealt out. What part of drop it is so hard?
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
Quick question: would you guys go for the Normal Blues junior, or that tanner, tweed looking one? Or does it really matter?
I play a epiphone les paul through a blues junior and I love the sound. I don't think it had quite enough gain though, so I got an overdrive to take care of it.

I have the tan one, but it is the same as the normal, just different tolex. The tweed is overpriced, I would just change the tubes and speaker for less.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
i'd recommend a regular one too. mine isn't worth the difference over my friend's standard one.
Member #4 of The Fulltone Users League
Member #68 of the EHX Users Guild

You Would
I play my LP through a twin reverb and it sounds fantastic. Blues Jr's are also a super choice.
Gibson LP studio premium plus
Epiphone LP Custom
Fender Mexi Strat
Jasmine acoustic-electric
69 Fender Twin Reverb (silverface)
Korg AX3000G
Maybe we dont read every post and only the first page? This isn't your thread. You stop the bitching.
^ Dude, you realise that xfir is a mod and can do what he likes?

But, i had the same problem with my Epi when i my Valvetronix, everything sounded kinda crappier. A new amp should do the trick!
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit