I've been writing poetry for a while now, even tho I'm not yet happy with my skills, I want to start experimenting with writing lyrics.
I know that you can write a poem and change some stuff here and there to make it suitable for a song, but my poems always seem a bit too... poem-ish for that... how do you guys do that?

here's one of my poems:

Wheel-worn roads to the artist's mind

As mighty stars gaze down on us,
they create tears of frozen air
forsaken under the demon sky
we seek shelter in the clouds

So many lies spoken by the rapist's tongue
our weary ears broken by an artist's longing
so the words turn to dust, as the love turned to lust
and the veins to our brains poor like midsummer rains

a train full of silence takes us to blossomed hills
where mannequins and wolfs repel our hollow chills
but when the leaves have fallen, and turned rain into foam
silence turns to stories, in the train that takes us home

forgotten is the hate, of which we used to speak
our eyes back at the stars, from which tears used to leak
we walk until the daylight, we sleep until the cold
we seek that gloomy silence, of which the rapist told

to me it looks impossible to turn into a song....
(I am not talking about the actual music here, just how to make the text more song-ish)
hmm....i write poems too but they can still turn them into songs if you find the right rhythm/riff/whatever. thats basically the same with yours too, you just have to find some rhythm to it.

p.s. nice poem
Hmm... well I'm not exactly a songwriter or a poet, so I dunno how helpful I can be, so I'll just say that songs tend to have less syllables in them than poems, which makes it sound more melodic and plus it makes it easier to sing.

And you just needs to break it down into a song structure of verse chorus verse chorus etc.
Quote by kriscornella2@g
I know i wish i was as cool as you and be into Sum 41 and Taking back Sunday. Gaylord.

Quote by civildp1
you should call one of the songs, "Respecting Old People" just to mix things up.

Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
You just made a very powerful enemy BenFoffenbock.
I also do the same stuff . I write poems to basically lock a certain idea . Idea that most of the time I use in my song . Write poetry to lock ur ideas and if you want to build a song around it .
Just go with an open mind and don't feel bad if you have to start again from the scratch.

S far as on how to make test song-ish . Form a melody out of it??
Hi
I don't really see the need to identify between the two. Some lyrics are obviosuly songs, but a lot of my lyrics are like poems anyway. Why can't you just sing your poem? Lyrics are a form of poetry in my eyes anyway.
There is poetry in despair.
thanks for the quick replies

Ofcourse you could just sing a poem, but songs are normally structured in a different way... has anyone experience with picking which parts of the poem would become the chorus and which would be the verses?
Quote by Icy Mirage

Ofcourse you could just sing a poem, but songs are normally structured in a different way... has anyone experience with picking which parts of the poem would become the chorus and which would be the verses?

The part of your poem that was used to describe a central message can be used as a chorus with or without some modifications and rest of the emotion that's specified with it can be used as verse
Hi
Break your poems into stanzas, or write longer poems consisting of more than one stanza. If a few have outstanding rhythms then use them as a verse or a chorus or a refrain or whatever.
Otherwise; leave them as they are and head into doom metal territory ;P
Or there's always emo.
Or prog, to some extent.

Poetry as lyrics is a lot more versatile than you'd originally think, so don't fret so much.
dude just get a screamo guy to sing it then all your problems are solved. it rocks and nobody will no what their saying
Quote by Orryn
It seems we don't ship products to where you are located. Perhaps if you make your way to our office in Somalia, we would be able to work something out.

Regardless of whether you come or not, we thank you for your bank details and cooperation.
i dont know what your style is, but i would listen to ben harper and damien rice for some inspiration. i sang your poem with a damien rice type of sound. it sounded pretty good. by the way good poem
Quote by Icy Mirage

Not all songs have choruses. Look at Dream Theater, for example. There are many other examples, but they stick out in my mind. Don't worry about having Verse, Chorus, Verse, Bridge, Solo, or whatever structures like that. Just write, and make music.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
thanks everyone, I think I can work with this, on a new poem.

namrepus8876, or anyone else, if you wanna use it as a song, feel free to... just let me hear it if you do
Quote by Icy Mirage

Well that part you would probably have to change, b/c verses are usually different, and then there is a repeating chorus, so find the one you like most and use it as the chorus, the catchiest, most rememorable ones, then use the others for the verse and bridge, the bridge is just a slight change of pace from the verse.