Page 1 of 2
Hello all,

I've recently moved house (and county) to be closer to work and save money etc etc. Only problem I've found so far is I can't find any decent places to drink where I am now!!! Now I'm not asking you to come with me for a drink or anything that push too risky on the net, but decent places for the likes of us lot in Huddersfield and Wakefield (West Yorkshire)? Let me know please! I apologise that I won't be able to reply till later this afternoon being at work and all and if it's been done before.

Thanks,
Quote by Karvid
You win this thread. And UG. I haven't actually lol'd at a post in a really long time. Thanks for changing that. I expect a sig

He expected this.

Something you definitely need to know
good drinking places, uk, and north of england dont go in the same sentence, your probably better (and safer) just having some mates round and drinking at your house
Quote by andyscoot
good drinking places, uk, and north of england dont go in the same sentence, your probably better (and safer) just having some mates round and drinking at your house

I used to live in Barnsley, safe does not need to be in the equation!
Quote by Karvid
You win this thread. And UG. I haven't actually lol'd at a post in a really long time. Thanks for changing that. I expect a sig

He expected this.

See, I live in London...
MUAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ohai little sig.
You're only welcome in a pub in northern England if you're unemployed and can see the building from your front door.

Honestly, don't bother.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
wow you're REALLY close to me
i live in cleckheaton which is around huddersfield/leeds/bradford area

apparently wakey's supposed to be a great night out
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

www.myspace.com/samtewari
last time i went out drinking, i got hastled by 5 different people all pissed off their tits in the space of an hour, its not worth it these days
Quote by Caustic
You're only welcome in a pub in northern England if you're unemployed and can see the building from your front door.

Honestly, don't bother.

you're a fuckwit.

i can't help you with specifics, but there's a pretty swell music scene in wakefield, or at least there used to be. start going to the pubs that said scene is based around.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
There are 4 pubs where I live. There are only about 1000 people in the town
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Its nice to see that people here think the whole of the northwest of England is one huge council estate, if you had any idea what its like then you would know thats not the case.
There's gotta be a list of various places in there on the net - just have a google session & you should find something, no problems. And ^ Yes, you have a point. Just do a general crawl one night & see where you end up at, it's always how I find things in a new place.
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
you're a fuckwit.

i can't help you with specifics, but there's a pretty swell music scene in wakefield, or at least there used to be. start going to the pubs that said scene is based around.

Hit a nerve?

Honestly, you northern types have given twice as bad as that to the south for decades. Guess you can't take the ribbing yourself... funny world, really.

And I'm neither north or south, so I reserve the right to crack and take lighthearted jokes at anywhere, and expect the same back. The Midlands ain't pretty either.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Team Meat
Its nice to see that people here think the whole of the northwest of England is one huge council estate, if you had any idea what its like then you would know thats not the case.

you do realise ive lived in manchester all my life right?
Quote by andyscoot
last time i went out drinking, i got hastled by 5 different people all pissed off their tits in the space of an hour, its not worth it these days

Are you sure that wasnt bouncers pissed off with you trying to get in their bars and your only 16?
Quote by Team Meat
Are you sure that wasnt bouncers pissed off with you trying to get in their bars and your only 16?

i meant like on the streets, i cant get into bars, but we sometimes go drinking just on the streets, and ill refer you to my story for what happened
Quote by andyscoot
i meant like on the streets

Well what do you expect? Three types of people drink on the streets. Idiots, kids, and alcoholics. Being one doesn't mean you can't be the one or more of the others too. In fact, you usually are at least two of those.
Quote by andyscoot
i meant like on the streets, i cant get into bars, but we sometimes go drinking just on the streets, and ill refer you to my story for what happened

the moral to this story is don't be one of those loser kids that sits drinking on the streets.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Quote by Caustic
Well what do you expect? Three types of people drink on the streets. Idiots, kids, and alcoholics. Being one doesn't mean you can't be the one or more of the others too. In fact, you usually are at least two of those.

well if we was allowed intto bars, we wouldnt need to be an 'idiot/kid/alcoholic', i dont even drink enough to get drunk, and the people we get hassled by, are usually people coming out of bars/pubs pissed
There is not a lot else for young people to do in the evening these days so I dont blame some of them for drinking on the street, its something a lot of people do as they grow up anyway.

Anyway, when you look old enough go into the centre of Manchester and head to Grand Central then Rockworld and am sure you will wet yourself with joy, there not amazing but they are good enough.

But none of this helps the OP's problem so I will shut up now.
my boyfriend comes from leeds, and we drink in a pub called the royal oak, which is well nice, does decent curly fries, and has a massive garden with loads of picnic tables and umbrellas and patio heaters and a barbeque. dunno how far you are from leeds, my sense of geography is charging *prods sat nav to make it charge faster*.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
the moral to this story is don't be one of those loser kids that sits drinking on the streets.

Or better yet, don't be one of those loser kids who drink in parks.
Kisses and cuddles.
Im sure theres a nice pub nearb....oh up north? A back alley with a crate of white lightning will do.
hey dude i used to live in Bradford.
Heres some places i would recomend:

BRADFORD:

'The Courtyard' (Student Union pub but you can get in there anyway and its a safe place to go + it has 6 pool tables )
Walkabout - For sport and cheap drink - food is quite good too.
The Westleigh Hotel - Quite cheap drinks and often decent music on the jukebox...but be careful coz some of the regulars are pretty rough/ignorant/up for a fight bastards!

LEEDS:
Hmm...usually only used to go for gigs....most pubs are quite expensive but its good for late bars and stuff.

WAKEFIELD:
The Snooty Fox is a must. Live rock music nearly every night with no entrance fee. Also a pool table and fast food nearby.
Quote by andyscoot

Well what the hell do you expect? Drinking on the streets AND underage is illegal. So you think our pub culture sucks because you're too young to get served? Get a clue, kid. Everyone gets hassled on the streets - that's what you get for hanging around drinking in a gang at night. You look like a chav and other chavs will give you ****.

Now for us grown ups, I'm sure you can find plenty of good pubs to go to. Bars will get louder and crappier towards the centre of your town.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Quote by johnny_tapia
There are 4 pubs where I live. There are only about 1000 people in the town

According to Wikipedia there is approx 1500 people in my town. There was at last count 10 places that has a licenced bar in it for people to drink in.
Quote by steee21
Yeah Snooty does have a lot of live music, but it's an absolute dive. Or it used to be, I haven't been for ages.

to be fair, yes, it is still a bit of a sh*tter and most of the bands are truly awful, but i like my pubs to be a bit 'dirty'.....

also Wakefield is sh*t so its a good standard for that town!
Quote by tyronelab
According to Wikipedia there is approx 1500 people in my town. There was at last count 10 places that has a licenced bar in it for people to drink in.

That's one pub per 150 people. Nottingham, which gets constant abuse for it's binge drinking culture and complete saturation of the town with boozing houses, has only one pub per 778 people
Quote by Rankles
Well what the hell do you expect? Drinking on the streets AND underage is illegal. So you think our pub culture sucks because you're too young to get served? Get a clue, kid. Everyone gets hassled on the streets - that's what you get for hanging around drinking in a gang at night. You look like a chav and other chavs will give you ****.

Now for us grown ups, I'm sure you can find plenty of good pubs to go to. Bars will get louder and crappier towards the centre of your town.

your a ****ing asshole you know that, i dont look like a chav either, i look far from it, and even if i dont drink (which is most of the time) i still get hassled by assholes like you who come out of the pub, not by chavs on the street, oh sure, you can be a high ranking mod, but does that take away your reading skills?

prick
jimmywc is right, snooty fox is great, easy to get to cos its near kirkgate station (which is like a set from a horror film) and if you drop on a good band then the sound is pretty good.
Also there is Zone in wakey (if your into that) its a rock club, indie upstairs metal downstairs and young emo kids everywhere.
Quote by andyscoot
your a ****ing asshole you know that, i dont look like a chav either, i look far from it, and even if i dont drink (which is most of the time) i still get hassled by assholes like you who come out of the pub, not by chavs on the street, oh sure, you can be a high ranking mod, but does that take away your reading skills?

prick

No, moron. Only idiots and chavs who get drunk in pubs will come out and hassle you. Most regular people don't. It's not my fault you live on a god damn council estate.

Only scrubbers drink on street corners, so if you think pubs are the problem you're sorely mistaken. You are the problem for drinking in the street like a hobo.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Quote by andyscoot

prick

I've indicated in red the point where I decided this post was stupid. If you want a reason why, then just learn some basic grammar and then make sure the highlighted blue is up to scratch.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by andyscoot

prick

I'm not a high-ranking mod (Rankles is an admin, if you really want to be specific), but I got pretty much the same impression from your post. Just thought I'd throw that out.
derp
lol u have faggot in ur username

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Everything I say is to be taken as serious fucking business.
Quote by strungoutuk
jimmywc is right, snooty fox is great, easy to get to cos its near kirkgate station (which is like a set from a horror film) and if you drop on a good band then the sound is pretty good.
Also there is Zone in wakey (if your into that) its a rock club, indie upstairs metal downstairs and young emo kids everywhere.

I've been there before. it's looks like it used to be a train station, but got half knocked down during some war! The posters haven't been updated since about 2001 too! Thanks for the info people, looks like snooty fox is a must then. Anyone know some good places in Huddersfield as aparently I have to go there too!

Thanks for everyone's help anyroad and sorry for replying to you all so late!

PS, what the hell started the fight that's run through this thread? It makes no sense!
Quote by Karvid

He expected this.

Quote by Caustic
That's one pub per 150 people. Nottingham, which gets constant abuse for it's binge drinking culture and complete saturation of the town with boozing houses, has only one pub per 778 people

yeah, but we all start getting completely ****ing wasted at 13!
Are you UKers as laid back about drinking as I hear? I get ridiculed and called a drunk here all the time by my friends if I have a beer for lunch or drink a few while I'm cleaning up the house. I like to have a couple when I get off work most nights. Not like I'm getting smashed and out of control. A lot of people are uptight about drinking in the US.
Quote by Smidgelton
Are you UKers as laid back about drinking as I hear? I get ridiculed and called a drunk here all the time by my friends if I have a beer for lunch or drink a few while I'm cleaning up the house. I like to have a couple when I get off work most nights. Not like I'm getting smashed and out of control. A lot of people are uptight about drinking in the US.

I do pretty much the same thing. Just to take the edge off
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Quote by Demonikk
See, I live in London...
MUAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes lucky you having to pay stupid amounts of money for a pint
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Quote by Smidgelton

that level of drinking is pretty normal over here
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
House partys ftw, drinking on the streets is pointless (yeah ive done it once, it was boring).

Or partys at local clubs when they are privately rented, although it usually ends up with chavs blocking the exits at the end of the night LOL.

I don't live near you and i'm not old enough to get into most pubs, so can't help you TS

If I was you i'd just go in some local pubs and see what they are like, if you don't like the look of it move on to the next one.
Page 1 of 2