This was something I never seemed to be able to do. I can play lead, I can play rhythm, but I just can't put the two together. I jammed with one of my buddies last night, and he was playing all these blusey chord riffs, and a bunch of badass licks in the middle, and seemed to keep the same rhythm the whole time. I know the obvious answer is to practice, but how and what should I practice?
1950s Reissue Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Gold Top Les Paul
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Ibanez TS-9
Boss BF-3
Boss DD-6
Wylde Signature Cry Baby
DigiTech Whammy 4
well you should practice by practicing. I think thats the only answer you can get to something like that... You could start off by giving me your set up, and starting from scratch. Just a suggestion.
It really is just practicing and learning to flow with the beats - by the way im wanting to buy a new amp and yours i was considering how versatile do you find it ?
if you want to play rhythm and lead at the same time... get a metronome. It helps alot... ive been playing for about 2 years now.... but i can already play the intro leads to Fade to Black and Sanitarium perfectly.... its all about knowing when the beat starts and ends.... listen and play in harmony...
^ yup i got several blues and classical (type, not real classical) songs that are basically chords with lead work filled in around them. practice practice practice. acousticthing on my dmusic is an example of what im talking about

(you know me, pimpin' at every corner)
practice basically, get a metronome and keep pracitcing, check out Paul Gilbert too, he does rhythm and lead licks at the same time in a way
I would suggest starting with a rhythm pattern that you can really feel. Then learn the scales/modes that the rhythm pattern are in. The rest, in my experience, will just start to flow. If you're feeling a little awkward with it at first, throw some echo on to what you're doing. Hope this helps.
Man, grab your acoustic, throw the electric for a moment. Now, try to invent a song, you just you. Nobody singing. You'll need to combine chords and lead, which will together make the music, otherwise you'll sound thin. I guess that's it.
"The end result - the music - is all that counts"
Theres an article dealing with this on UG called something like "The Front Porch Jamming Technique", try checking that out and good luck.
Zeppelinism Extremist, PM TheHeartbreaker to join

...and the victim screameth, saying "Hast thou not heard of elastoplast?!"
Just look at all the bands who only have only 1 guitar player, they have to play both rhythm and lead.