Hi, I'm considering buying a new guitar. I can go up to about $780, I mostly play metal, I'd like a hardtail rather than a floating trem (but it's not a big deal), I like crazy shapes like the X-plorer/V, but I don't really care. Playability, quality and sound comes first.

Now, I know alot of you are going to tell me I should go to a guitar store, try out some guitars and figure out what I like best on my own, but since I live several hours away from a half-decent guitar store, and I don't own a car, I can't.

While I'm on making a new thread, could anyone tell me any good guitar stores that ship to Norway?
Schecter Hellraiser w/o the Floyd Rose.
It's GANDHI not GHANDI

Quote by lewymcgee
oh yea, stanleybach, what are u like the forum ass hole, stop tryin to ruin all the fun u dick head

Quote by webbtje
Stanleybach fucked a tree. My perversion is nothing.
you play metal but you dnt want a floyd. that is a massive mistake because nearly every song you will want to play will have whammy tricks in so you will end up missing loads
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Standard Goldtop 50's Neck
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Cherry Sunburst
Line 6 Spider 3 150
Line 6 Pocket POD

Member #23 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join
Quote by Anfieldsam
you play metal but you dnt want a floyd. that is a massive mistake because nearly every song you will want to play will have whammy tricks in so you will end up missing loads

Not necessarily, if he doesn't want a Floyd Rose, he doesn't have to have one. A lot of people don't like them and there are plenty of metal songs that do not use a Floyd Rose.
It's GANDHI not GHANDI

Quote by lewymcgee
oh yea, stanleybach, what are u like the forum ass hole, stop tryin to ruin all the fun u dick head

Quote by webbtje
Stanleybach fucked a tree. My perversion is nothing.
Quote by stanleybach
Schecter Hellraiser w/o the Floyd Rose.

I would have to agree. this guitar is very very nice. i have tried many many times, and currently, it's in the mail
Look at Ibanez, Schecter, LTD and Jacksons. You should find something really sweet.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
I've got one question. I currently have an Ibanez RGT42DX -- is it really worth buying a new one for about 780?
If you are playing metal, I assume you are going to change tunings often and the Ibanez ain't cutting it because it's got a floating trem?

Look into the Schecter Hellraiser as mentioned earlier, also check out some LTD's as they have some similar specced guitars. You want an LTD model at least the 400 series or above; any less and they are rather mediocre. Alternatively, you could check out some Jackson models like the DKMGT and DKT2.
Quote by YourMessiah666
I would have to agree. this guitar is very very nice. i have tried many many times, and currently, it's in the mail

i can vouche for that.
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
Quote by Anfieldsam

I playe dmetal before I got my trem, I got my trem cos I wanted to play Vai and Satch so you lose. Tony Iommi never had a floyd did he? He invented metal dammit!

Anyway, I hear shecter are decent but I'd go for somethign like an SG (for that darker tone) or a strat with humbuckers (if you're into the brighter stuff).

For shapes though, you could go for an Ibanez Iceman (IC400 the one similar to a les Paul but with that added shape) and Epiphone Explorer/V (these have some good reviews) Maybe a Jackson Kelly, King V or RR V?
Hmm, I'll just bump this thread a little. I reaaally need more input, it's a hard decision.

So, does anyone have any specific guitar they want to recommend? Just write whatever falls in to your mind that fits these criterias:
- Good for playing metal
- Hardtail
- Shape doesn't really matter as playability and sound comes first, but I do prefer whacky shapes
- Fits in between the $0-780 price range

If people mention models for me, it'll be a lot easier for me. I'll just create a list, look into the listed gutiars and narrow it down from there.
I've got an Esteban Acoustic... it's pretty bad ass for metal and shredding and stuff
jk

but I looked at a nice Schecter hellraiser with EMGs.. but I don't play metal so I ended up with my Les Paul..
Holden Caulfield is a friend of mine.
We go drinking from time to time.
You could look into a plain jane Carvin Ultra V or V220. There are some good low end ESP and Jacksons out there too. Musiciansfriend.com is a good place to browse.
CARVINITES UNITE!

7th

IV
if you want a good guitar for that price go with jackson DKMGT but if you have some extra money to spend i would buy a les paul with emg 81/85 pickups (kirk hammet and zakk wylde use those guitars)
This is going to seem like an out-of-the-blue suggestion, but maybe a Hagstrom Super Swede? Same basic specs as a Les Paul, but with a shockingly thin neck profile, which would probably suit your metal playing better?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?cpd=0OEY&doc_id=99371&base_pid=513342&index=1
^pic
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hagstrom-Super-Swede-Electric-Guitar?sku=513342
^actual guitar
Not sure about that Hagstrom, I don't really like the shape of it, and I'm not sure if those humbuckers are well suited for metal.