Page 1 of 2
I really like the tone of the Zvex Box of Metal, it's got a good hi-gain feel without being too harsh. But it's really out of my price range at the moment, I don't feel $300 is justified for a dirt box unless it's something really unique.

I'm wondering where I can hear some soundclips of other metal pedals. I wasn't impressed with the Metal Muff, for some reason. It seemed kind of... I dunno, muffy? Like they tweaked a Big Muff into a metal pedal. Though I guess people would feel kind of cheated if it wasn't something like that, it doesn't really give me a hi-gain Pantera kind of feel, or the more hi-gain Marshall Box of Metal kind of feel. The Rocktron Zombie felt kind of cold to me, but I normally like Rocktron stuff.

From my name you can tell I love RATS, I have a Turbo RAT which is great for oldschool metal but I wouldn't mind having something for higher gain situations, for a more rectified tone.
Last edited by RAT Girl at Nov 15, 2007,
I use a Roland Microcube at the moment, am probably going to get a Vox Pathfinder 15R for Xmas(I really like Voxy distortion). Though most of the time I run my chain through a Zoom G1 as a headphone amp, it works surprisingly well for that, considering how cheap it was.
Doesn't the Microcube have a Rectifier amp model?

Also, I don't understand why you're going for that particular Vox, you'd be better off saving for a decent tube amp rather than another practice amp.
No, I'm not. I'm a student and have to live in Student Accommodation and I'm not even that fond of tube amps. I even get asked to turn my Microcube down. I'll also be moving country after college so I need an amp I can take with me. I can save up for a new amp when I'm in a band with a drummer, but I hear the Pathfinder is abnormally loud for a 15 Watt(like the AC-15 before it, I believe).

The Pathfinder also gets excellent reviews and is one of the closest Solid State amps to sounding like a tube - but since I play stuff like Bauhaus I prefer not to have too much of that "Rounded out" tone.

The Rectifier model on the Microcube is kind of okay for some Dream Theatery stuff at low gain... but it kind of sucks. Only decent gain model on it is the Vox one but it's still too muddy.
Quote by forsaknazrael
The Pathfinder isn't anything like a real Vox...

And you're not fond of tube amps? In all honesty, how many have you tried?

+1 to each statement made.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
+2. Plenty of low wattage tube amps. I believe there's a decent Ibanez one somewhere..Can't remember the name of it.
^ Valbee. The only real negative is the tiny speaker, but in a small environment that won't matter too much.
Quote by Denthúl
^ Valbee. The only real negative is the tiny speaker, but in a small environment that won't matter too much.

That's the one! Pretty high gain, isn't it?
Quote by Don_Humpador
+2. Plenty of low wattage tube amps. I believe there's a decent Ibanez one somewhere..Can't remember the name of it.

Valbee?
Quote by Don_Humpador
That's the one! Pretty high gain, isn't it?

It's good for metal, yes. Has a full EQ and a standby switch, too. Quite the little amp
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Ibanez/Valve+Bee+VBG+Combo/10/1

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/VOX/Pathfinder+15R/10/1

The Pathfinder got much better reviews :/ I've heard clips of the distortion on it, and it's good. Only problem is the reverb's meant to be noisy - sucky for getting Joy Division tones. I guess if I put a reverb in front of the amp, but turned down, and turn the reverb on the amp down, go half and half, it might work as a balance between noise/that effect you get when you distort reverb.

The pathfinder is also supposedly loud enough to practice with drums. I'll need to use a clean boost to hear the cleans, though, may invest in a Super Hard-on at some stage(yes i know i could spend that money on a better amp but I really would like a Super Hard-on).

I think I like getting my distortion from boxes better so I can take them around and used them on any amp. The only kind of amp gain I really want is a metal kind of sound, and I don't have money or room for a dual recto or anything resembling it. Plus, I'd rather get a more unique, interesting sound that "sounds" kind of like a dual recto, but isn't.

I also have to go with what's available to me as shipping amps to here would be very costly. I can't find the Valbee/Valve Bee on eBay even.
Quote by RAT Girl
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Ibanez/Valve+Bee+VBG+Combo/10/1

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/VOX/Pathfinder+15R/10/1

The Pathfinder got much better reviews :/ I've heard clips of the distortion on it, and it's good. Only problem is the reverb's meant to be noisy - sucky for getting Joy Division tones. I guess if I put a reverb in front of the amp, but turned down, and turn the reverb on the amp down, go half and half, it might work as a balance between noise/that effect you get when you distort reverb.

The pathfinder is also supposedly loud enough to practice with drums. I'll need to use a clean boost to hear the cleans, though, may invest in a Super Hard-on at some stage(yes i know i could spend that money on a better amp but I really would like a Super Hard-on).

I think I like getting my distortion from boxes better so I can take them around and used them on any amp. The only kind of amp gain I really want is a metal kind of sound, and I don't have money or room for a dual recto or anything resembling it. Plus, I'd rather get a more unique, interesting sound that "sounds" kind of like a dual recto, but isn't.

I also have to go with what's available to me as shipping amps to here would be very costly. I can't find the Valbee/Valve Bee on eBay even.

Distortion pedals never sound as good as built in OD or an already overdriven amp with an OD pedal out front. Just get a nice tube combo and put an OD in front to push it to metal tones.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.

Distortion pedals never sound as good as built in OD or an already overdriven amp with an OD pedal out front. Just get a nice tube combo and put an OD in front to push it to metal tones.

That's subjective. Please don't state your opinion as fact. I like my RAT and Fuzz Factory and don't think there's an amp in the world that can sound that. In terms of Amps, getting a metal sound costs far too much and takes up far too much space, so instead I'm looking at the best pedal option available.
Quote by RAT Girl
That's subjective. Please don't state your opinion as fact. I like my RAT and Fuzz Factory and don't think there's an amp in the world that can sound that. In terms of Amps, getting a metal sound costs far too much and takes up far too much space, so instead I'm looking at the best pedal option available.

Well considering any experienced musician with an ear for tone would say the same thing, it's pretty close to fact. My Rectoverb pushed with a TS9 sounds fatter and fuller than any distortion pedal I've ever heard, and usually the terms "fatter" and "fuller" aren't subjective. There's a reason why you rarely see distortion pedals on the boards of experienced performing musicians. I don't want to sound arrogant or attacking, it's just that I really hate distortion boxes.

Quote by TMVolta19
Well considering any experienced musician with an ear for tone would say the same thing, it's pretty close to fact.

Daniel Ash used Solid State HH amps and he's an experienced textural guitarist. Regardless of "fatter" and "fuller" being subjective, the fact that tube amps also round off sounds in a way some people don't like is also not subjective.

And regardless of how warm and full it is, amps do not provide me with the kind of tones I get from a Turbo RAT or Fuzz Factory.

You hate distortion boxes, I hate it when people absolutely insist on having tubey tones and never experiment with other types of distortion that you don't tend to get from amps. So we're even.

As for dirt boxes with experienced musicians, what about Billy Corgan, Steve Vai, John Frusciante, Josh Homme, Matt Bellamy, Graham Coxon, Robert Smith, to name but a few?
I'd really be happy with any interesting hi-gain distortion that doesn't sound like my Turbo RAT. I love my Turbo RAT to bits and it can cover an amazing range of stuff but I'm gonna get bored if it's permanently my main dirt box.
Quote by RAT Girl
Daniel Ash used Solid State HH amps and he's an experienced textural guitarist. Regardless of "fatter" and "fuller" being subjective, the fact that tube amps also round off sounds in a way some people don't like is also not subjective.

And regardless of how warm and full it is, amps do not provide me with the kind of tones I get from a Turbo RAT or Fuzz Factory.

We could name many more guitarists that rely solely on the amp's distortion and use an OD to boost it, so your point is weak there.

Also, of course amps don't give you those tones.

A) Your pedals are purpose built, therefore do the job differently to onboard distortion or tube amp breakup.

B) One of them's a fuzz, so unless you get a customized amp with on board fuzz, or mod it yourself, then of course you need it from a pedal.

Also, you're being quite hypocritical when you say 'the fact that tube amps also round off sounds in a way some people don't like is also not subjective.'. First up, it obviously is subjective, since you don't seem to like it, and other people do. Secondly, it's not plain fact, even though you said how much you hated people who said things as if they were fact, you did it yourself.

Lastly, I'm questioning the decision to buy two pedals worth £60-70 and £130 respectively, when you're using a £65 amp and want to buy another practice amp for £65 roughly also. Your spending is terribly lopsided, and although I respect your own opinion when it comes to these things, I can't help but feel through a decent tube amp like the Valbee, Valve Junior or Palomino V8, those pedals would sound amazing rather than fairly good on your Microcube.
Last edited by Don_Humpador at Nov 15, 2007,
We could name many more guitarists that rely solely on the amp's distortion and use an OD to boost it, so your point is weak there.

Uh, no. It doesn't work like that. As long as there are a lot of people using dirt boxes then my point stands.

Also, of course amps don't give you those tones.

A) Your pedals are purpose built, therefore do the job differently to onboard distortion or tube amp breakup.

And I like that.

B) One of them's a fuzz, so unless you get a customized amp with on board fuzz, or mod it yourself, then of course you need it from a pedal.

Still something tube amps don't do.

Lastly, I'm questioning the decision to buy two pedals worth £60-70 and £130 respectively, when you're using a £65 amp and want to buy another practice amp for £65 roughly also. Your spending is terribly lopsided, and although I respect your own opinion when it comes to these things, I can't help but feel through a decent tube amp like the Valbee, Valve Junior or Palomino V8, those pedals would sound amazing rather than fairly good on your Microcube.

The Pathfinder got much better reviews and costs quite a bit less.

Amps come and go especially when you're moving overseas, but you tend to keep pedals.

Also, you're being quite hypocritical when you say 'the fact that tube amps also round off sounds in a way some people don't like is also not subjective.'. First up, it obviously is subjective, since you don't seem to like it, and other people do.

It's not subjective. The fact is that Tubes change the tone, they have a specific sound, not just a "better" sound. It's not just like saving an mp3 at a higher bitrate.

Amps come and go especially when you're moving overseas, but you tend to keep pedals. .

That's a horrid mentality. You should find a solid amp that you're happy with and stick with it, not upgrading repeatedly to amps that are no better than what you currently have.

Quote by TMVolta19
Quote by RAT Girl
Uh, no. It doesn't work like that. As long as there are a lot of people using dirt boxes then my point stands.

Explain why. You've made no point whatsoever there. Honestly, most people who want nice high gain sounds do so with good, high gain tube amps, not just a cheap amp and a distortion pedal. I've just seen your latest edit and post. Have you ever tried a high gain tube amp? Mesa? Framus? Engl? Randall? All do those sounds you're after, I recommend you try them out so you can realise that tube amps do more than just rock and roll, bluesy type sounds.

Quote by RAT Girl
Still something tube amps don't do.

Yet again, you've made absolutely no point there. I said that of course a fuzz is created through a pedal such as the FF, so what's your point? Trying to score another one over tube amps just because they don't create fuzz tones? What's your perfect amp - something with an inbuilt tuner, wah that comes with a foot treadle, a seperate fuzz channel on the amp?

Quote by RAT Girl
Amps come and go especially when you're moving overseas, but you tend to keep pedals.

I know plenty of musicians, friends and people on these forums that keep to one, two, sometimes three, amps throughout their whole life, and change pedals almost every fortnight.

Quote by RAT Girl
It's not subjective. The fact is that Tubes change the tone, they have a specific sound, not just a "better" sound. It's not just like saving an mp3 at a higher bitrate.

I think you need to look in the dictionary for what subjective means.
Last edited by Don_Humpador at Nov 15, 2007,
You tend to upgrade your amp with the more space, money and knowledge you have. This is going to be a fact of life. Whereas with pedals you're more likely to keep one that does something really cool.

If I'm moving overseas I can't really cart a large amp over with me.
Quote by RAT Girl
You tend to upgrade your amp with the more space, money and knowledge you have. This is going to be a fact of life. Whereas with pedals you're more likely to keep one that does something really cool.

1. Why not just get a professional level amp after you know your going to play guitar for the rest of your life instead of always upgrading?

2. There are some amazing tube amps that would be small enough to carry overseas.

Quote by TMVolta19
Quote by RAT Girl

Like omarrodrigez said, you should keep to an amp you're happy with, not bunging another £68 on something that's no better than what you've got now. The Valve Junior, Valbee and Palomino V8 are all small, quite portable, 5 Watts tube amps, and will take to your pedals like ducks to water, and I believe the Valbee will certainly get you into metal territory, and I know the V8 will as well, with a little push.

And as to moving overseas, exactly how often will you be doing that? You make it sound like you move around every week?
Explain why. You've made no point whatsoever there. Honestly, most people who want nice high gain sounds do so with good, high gain tube amps, not just a cheap amp and a distortion pedal. I've just seen your latest edit and post. Have you ever tried a high gain tube amp? Mesa? Framus? Engl? Randall? All do those sounds you're after, I recommend you try them out so you can realise that tube amps do more than just rock and roll, bluesy type sounds.

I can't afford those amps, I have no space for those amps, I'm moving in a year or so, and I'm not interested in enough in metal or those amps to fork out thousands for them.

You're really getting to be a ****ing nark now. First off I don't have to justify my reason why I prefer solid state pedal distortions anyway - I wasn't asking for advice on that, just which one sounds the best for metal since I'm not interested in it quite enough to pay the amount required to get it from an amp. I've heard tube amps, I know what they sound like and I understand how they differ from Solid State amps. "YOU HAVEN'T REALLY MADE A POINT HERE" I've made an excellent point you just refuse to acknowledge it.

I also understand that Tubes are overglamourised to a ridiculous degree just because they "generally" sound better. There are solid state amps that still sound great. There are tube amps that still sound ****.

The Roland Jazz Chorus is one of the best amps ever made, and it's a Solid State. A lot of classic Fender amps, too.

Yet again, you've made absolutely no point there. I said that of course a fuzz is created through a pedal such as the FF, so what's your point? Trying to score another one over tube amps just because they don't create fuzz tones? What's your perfect amp - something with an inbuilt tuner, wah that comes with a foot treadle, a seperate fuzz channel on the amp?

Fuzz is still a kind of distortion and it's still a kind of distortion I prefer to tube driven gain sounds, of the bluesy type and the higher gain type.

If there's one kind of distortion from a pedal that I prefer, it stands to reason there could be others. The RAT IS another. You can't get Ratty distortion from an amp. I like Ratty distortion. I also like Bauhausy, nasty, clangy distortion, which tends to only come from compressed solid state pedals and amps(the HH combos of he 70s/80s). If you're playing punk or goth rock or something like that, you don't really "Need" a Tube amp.

I know plenty of musicians, friends and people on these forums that keep to one, two, sometimes three, amps throughout their whole life, and change pedals almost every fortnight.

For others, they prefer to keep pedals and upgrade amps as I described.

I think you need to look in the dictionary for what subjective means.

What a bloody empty sentiment. You can apply that kind of nonsense rhetoric to almost anything, it's meaningless and doesn't describe anything.

Can you even explain on an objective level how tubes sound better?
Quote by Don_Humpador
Like omarrodrigez said, you should keep to an amp you're happy with, not bunging another £68 on something that's no better than what you've got now. The Valve Junior, Valbee and Palomino V8 are all small, quite portable, 5 Watts tube amps, and will take to your pedals like ducks to water, and I believe the Valbee will certainly get you into metal territory, and I know the V8 will as well, with a little push.

And as to moving overseas, exactly how often will you be doing that? You make it sound like you move around every week?

Those amps also got much worse the reviews, and unlike the Vox which is more like a 30 Watt amp in reality, cannot go loud enough to compete with a drumkit.
Quote by RAT Girl
I can't afford those amps, I have no space for those amps, I'm moving in a year or so, and I'm not interested in enough in metal or those amps to fork out thousands for them.

The key word in what I said was 'have you ever tried those amps'. I'm not saying you should fork out thousands for one, it just seemed to me like you didn't realise that tube amps can do that kind of stuff. If you did, perhaps you should have said that in the first place rather than get all defensive about why you think pedals are the best thing since sliced bread.

Quote by RAT Girl
You're really getting to be a ****ing nark now. First off I don't have to justify my reason why I prefer solid state pedal distortions anyway -

I didn't say you had to. I am simply recommending alternatives, that most people find sound better, and that will last you longer. And I am not a nark, I am not trying to be, I am just trying to help you.

Quote by RAT Girl
I wasn't asking for advice on that, just which one sounds the best for metal since I'm not interested in it quite enough to pay the amount required to get it from an amp. I've heard tube amps, I know what they sound like and I understand how they differ from Solid State amps.

Which what? Pedal or amp? Because if it's amp, I've told you what I think would be good. If it's pedal, I don't see how getting one would help compensate the fact you are planning to buy another small amp.

Quote by RAT Girl
"YOU HAVEN'T REALLY MADE A POINT HERE" I've made an excellent point you just refuse to acknowledge it.

This is what you said : "Uh, no. It doesn't work like that. As long as there are a lot of people using dirt boxes then my point stands."

Ok, then, if you've made an excellent point, please explain it. Maybe I completely misunderstand, but just saying 'Uh, No. It doesn't work like that' isn't exactly a point at all.

Quote by RAT Girl
I also understand that Tubes are overglamourised to a ridiculous degree just because they "generally" sound better. There are solid state amps that still sound great. There are tube amps that still sound ****.

Yes, there are a lot of good SS amps and a lot of bad tube amps, and yes there are some tube snobs out there, and I am not one of them, whatever you might think. But let's face it, you aren't buying a Jazz Chorus, are you? No, you're buying a Pathfinder. Which is not a step up from your amp already, your Microcube.

Quote by RAT Girl
If there's one kind of distortion from a pedal that I prefer, it stands to reason there could be others. The RAT IS another. You can't get Ratty distortion from an amp. I like Ratty distortion. I also like Bauhausy, nasty, clangy distortion, which tends to only come from compressed solid state pedals and amps(the HH combos of he 70s/80s). If you're playing punk or goth rock or something like that, you don't really "Need" a Tube amp.

Of course you don't need a tube amp, I didn't say that. Your point is like saying, I don't need shoes, I can walk bearfooted. You don't need it, and if SS is the way you want to spend your money, go ahead. But there are tube amps that can do these things better with the right settings, occasional pedal and guitar.

Quote by RAT Girl
What a bloody empty sentiment. You can apply that kind of nonsense rhetoric to almost anything, it's meaningless and doesn't describe anything.

It wasn't rhetorical, but everybody is subjective, ultimately. Tone is subjective, you are arguing that very point by saying you think tubes sound different, which they do, but to a lot of people they do sound better. That's being subjective. Everyone's different.

Quote by RAT Girl
Can you even explain on an objective level how tubes sound better?

Well, tubes sound better because they're warmer, can be brighter, livelier, thicker, creamier, punchier, heavier, juicier, fatter, snappier, vibrant, colourful, bold, and plainly more toneful. They don't sound as lifeless as cheap SS amps.
I didn't say you had to. I am simply recommending alternatives, that most people find sound better, and that will last you longer. And I am not a nark, I am not trying to be, I am just trying to help you.

The problem is I'm already aware of this. I'm aware most people hold tubes in higher regard, what options there are, etc. Just because I have a microcube doesn't mean I'm a beginner to this stuff(though in terms of serious playing maybe I am, I've mostly just enjoyed different effects and pedals to **** around with up until recently, and there's nothing wrong with that either).

I just know that right now, I'd much prefer to get my metal from a pedal. Since metal isn't my "main" genre, I don't really want to spend that much on a metal amp - and I can't afford it. A metal pedal might not have the same "Whoomph" but it will cost several times less.

And I'm pretty sure the Pathfinder is better than the Microcube. The Microcube is just far too muddy, the tone control is useless too, except to soften my Fuzz Factory a little. In all honesty, the Zoom G1's stuff(I got this for headphone jamming as the 'Cube's output was too low and muddy as I said, don't shoot me) isn't any worse than the Cube's. Some of the drive models sound better at lower gain.

My favourite guitarist of the moment is Daniel Ash, so that's part of the reason I prefer Solid States. He actually works that harshness into his music. In some ways, I kind of prefer Solid States for having a "flat out" sound - less happens to your sound between guitar signal and speaker. Of course, that's not necessarily a good think since plugging battery powered headphones into your guitar won't sound very good, but still. I kind of like the rawness of some SS amps.
Quote by RAT Girl
Those amps also got much worse the reviews, and unlike the Vox which is more like a 30 Watt amp in reality, cannot go loud enough to compete with a drumkit.

What reviews are you reading? You need to bear in mind that reviews of starter amps are generally posted by gear n00bs who don't have a lot of experience with a lot of amps. I can find Spider reviews with higher number ratings than Mesas, doesn't make 'em better amps.

And the Pathfinder is a 15W amp that's like, well, a 15W amp. A 5W tube amp with an equivalent speaker will sound as loud or louder than it.

Quote by RAT Girl
The Roland Jazz Chorus is one of the best amps ever made, and it's a Solid State. A lot of classic Fender amps, too.

Quote by Don_Humpador
Yes, there are a lot of good SS amps and a lot of bad tube amps, and yes there are some tube snobs out there, and I am not one of them, whatever you might think. But let's face it, you aren't buying a Jazz Chorus, are you? No, you're buying a Pathfinder. Which is not a step up from your amp already, your Microcube.

There are no "classic" solid state Fender amps.

If you really don't like tube amps, that's certainly your business. I'd actually suggest you look around for a smaller, second hand Jazz Chorus. Maybe the JC-50. I have the JC-77, and with the chorus on in the "stock" setting, it makes my Z. Vex Fuzz Factory sing like no other amp I have (and I am a tube snob). In the meantime, you may find your RAT sounds better than ever.

I think it's a mistake to "upgrade" from the Microcube to the Pathfinder, too. And I think you're underestimating the importance of a solid amp. All my gear comes and goes. Doesn't matter what type of item it is, if I love it - I keep it; if I don't - I move it along.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
What reviews are you reading? You need to bear in mind that reviews of starter amps are generally posted by gear n00bs who don't have a lot of experience with a lot of amps. I can find Spider reviews with higher number ratings than Mesas, doesn't make 'em better amps.

Most of the reviews I'm reading on HC and other websites seem to be people who got them for bedroom practice comparing them to "decent" amps rather than total beginners.
ROFL. I like how this person is arguing against the opinions of 90% of guitarists in the entire world with there back pushed right up against the wall against the entire of UGs ideals and still remains 100% sure that they're right.
Takes balls. Good show.

Granted, some Jazz musicians do prefer the flatness of SS amps, I love the cleans from some of the old fender SS amps. But please, a vox pathfinder? You haven't lived.

See the thing is, if you're such a tone freak (As you so described.) and you aren't satisfied by the likes of the metal muff. And you can't be ****ed getting a better amp, then the fact is, you're screwed. Either learn to heed advice of the oh-in-so-many-ways-correct UG regs, say no to the pathfinder get a decent small valve amp that you can push with an OD or a Valbee or just deal with it that you aren't going to get a metal tone that'll suit your pickiness. Or you know, get a boss metal zone, you seem like you'd appreciate that...
Damage Control Solid Metal $200 USD

YouTube Demo
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Nov 15, 2007,
Quote by beckyjc
ROFL. I like how this person is arguing against the opinions of 90% of guitarists in the entire world with there back pushed right up against the wall against the entire of UGs ideals and still remains 100% sure that they're right.
Takes balls. Good show.

Probably because I know why "Appeal to the Majority" is a logical fallacy. I honestly really don't care how many people say something unless they have solid facts.

Granted, some Jazz musicians do prefer the flatness of SS amps, I love the cleans from some of the old fender SS amps. But please, a vox pathfinder? You haven't lived.

It's the best option available to me at the moment. If there's a better one available to me in a similiar price range with the same portability, then I'd like to hear it.

See the thing is, if you're such a tone freak (As you so described.)

Not really a tone freak. I like to have lots of different sounds, which is very different to the kind of tone freak who looks for that subtle barely audible increase in quality.

and you aren't satisfied by the likes of the metal muff. And you can't be ****ed getting a better amp, then the fact is, you're screwed.

Or maybe I just don't like the metal muff. I'd really like to hear soundclips of the Zoom Tri-Metal, I might like that a lot better.

Either learn to heed advice of the oh-in-so-many-ways-correct UG regs, say no to the pathfinder get a decent small valve amp that you can push with an OD or a Valbee or just deal with it that you aren't going to get a metal tone that'll suit your pickiness. Or you know, get a boss metal zone, you seem like you'd appreciate that...

I'm not getting a pathfinder for metal tone. I'm getting it because it's a nice cheap alternative to blowing out on an overpriced AC-15 or AC-30. I'm looking to get a pedal for metal tone since I'll spend several times that before I'll get an amp, and I don't want to get an amp to do metal that badly. If I was to get the amp I really want, it'd probably the the HH Combo Daniel Ash used with Bauhaus. I was recommended to look at Vox amps if I wanted a good post-punk tone, though. The Vox model on my Microcube is too muddy.
Quote by LEVEL4
Damage Control Solid Metal $200 USD

YouTube Demo

Hmm, I kinda like the tone off that. I like the "Burning Ice" tone, and the way it's more "Burn" than "Ice" as opposed to most metal pedals which are the other way around. Really want to hear the Tri-metal too.

Really though, I'm looking for a hi-gain pedal that can do some metal-ish stuff but doesn't try to flat out mimic the sound of a dual recto. Any interesting hi-gain distortion, really. I just love dirt boxes.
If you're not getting the answers that YOU WANT, which is obviously what you're doing, then just leave, people are obviously disagreeing with you on what they think is best for your situation, granted we DONT KNOW what is best for your situation. But you know, we like to try and make you understand.

Overpriced? IMO, vox are quite fairly price, well the lower end valve amps, the AC15 is a totally different amp to begin with anyway. AC30s deliver thick raw britishy clean tone for what id say a decent price. Nobodies asking you to buy a Vox AC30, just to take it into consideration that it's quite easily possible to get a decent tone for not much money. Well better than a pathfinder to start.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_ga5.htm
Knock yourself out.

Or you know, there's even eBay.
I absolutely seriously think that you haven't even touched a valve amp with a 10 foot pole before.
You aren't Daniel Ash, develop your own sound. I have much greater respect for anyone that does that over someone that just spends 1000s of pounds on buying there favourite guitarists rig.
I am developing my own sound. I just like to get that count of sound. Is someone who wants a dual recto ripping off Metal Band X? No. Daniel Ash used a kind of distortion that isn't really much in use anymore. I want to take it and develop it into something new.

Plus, it'd be a lot better if people just answered my question.
Quote by RAT Girl
Is someone who wants a dual recto ripping off Metal Band X?

Stop acting like the Dual Rectifier is the end all be all of metal amps.

Quote by TMVolta19
Bottom line?

You are NEVER going to get the best out of any stomp box out of a cheap solid state amp. The pathfinder isn't really an upgrade on the Microcube, at best it's a sideways step. You probably haven't tired of the rat - you've tired of the sound of the Rat + Microcube.

You'd get far more tonal variation with the option of blending natural tube overdrive with jagged solid state distrotion, but if you really want a solid state amp then the Pathfinder really isn't a good bet, I'd take one of the Peavey combos over it any day. I have an old bandit and it's completely wrong for me, the distortion is too fizzy and harsh whilst the cleans are almost "too clean", flat and abrupt but probably perfect for your needs.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Nov 15, 2007,
Page 1 of 2